Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Can I borrow your brains for a minute?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2007, 08:38 PM
iamleo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I borrow your brains for a minute?

Thanks!

What do you think of this:

http://www.clarkecars.co.uk/GetDeale...14102&pageid=3

I can't get the direct link i'm afraid, its the " SUBARU IMPREZA wrx 2.0 turbo" for £4,995.

This garage is very local to me and he always has jap imports such as subarus etc... not sure if he has a good rep though, would love to hear your thoughts on the car, price.. etc
Old 06 January 2007, 11:49 PM
stira2
Scooby Regular

Over priced, you could get an sti for that
Old 07 January 2007, 01:46 AM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iamleo
Thanks!

What do you think of this:

Auto Trader Dealer Pages - Clarke Car Sales

I can't get the direct link i'm afraid, its the " SUBARU IMPREZA wrx 2.0 turbo" for £4,995.

This garage is very local to me and he always has jap imports such as subarus etc... not sure if he has a good rep though, would love to hear your thoughts on the car, price.. etc
I would be extremely cautious of the milege on this car, basically your'e paying a premium because of the very low mileage, unless the seller has all of the old mot's and a service book which backs this up I wouldn't even consider buying it for that price, with 40 odd thousand miles the interior should be almost as new, ie, no shiny steering wheel or gear **** and mechanically it should run very smoothly with no faults
Old 07 January 2007, 09:40 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

It is also a dealer, so you have to take this into the equation, of course you will get cheaper elsewhere, especially if bought private and with cash.

Dealers are there to make a profit, with it will be a warranty (don't know how good theirs will be though), so add that into the £4995 price.

You could get the car possibly a lot cheaper if certain things were agreed not to be in the sale of the car, MOT and warranty are a couple of things.

Your call though.
Old 07 January 2007, 10:12 AM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Its not as expensive as the 8 grand 1994 wrx i have seen for sale . then again its only done 8500 miles!!!

if you do decide to go for it..check what kind of warranty comes with the car..what it covers and more specific DOESN'T cover! id try and wangle an extended warranty out of them if you go with cash and the full price.or if they dont come with it 12 months tax.

these cars arn't exactly flying out of dealers at the moment so you can afford to be a bit cheeky.

also..have you had any experience with imprezas before? give it a good going over..then test drive it..then give it an even bigger going over. ideally take someone with you off here who knows what they are looking for.

Last edited by noobscoob; 07 January 2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07 January 2007, 10:29 AM
tony95
Scooby Regular

I'd ask to take the sti below it for a spin then the wrx.See which one you really want,then make an offer on the sti
Old 07 January 2007, 11:38 AM
iamleo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the advice, much appreicated.

Originally Posted by noobscoob
Its not as expensive as the 8 grand 1994 wrx i have seen for sale . then again its only done 8500 miles!!!

if you do decide to go for it..check what kind of warranty comes with the car..what it covers and more specific DOESN'T cover! id try and wangle an extended warranty out of them if you go with cash and the full price.or if they dont come with it 12 months tax.

these cars arn't exactly flying out of dealers at the moment so you can afford to be a bit cheeky.

also..have you had any experience with imprezas before? give it a good going over..then test drive it..then give it an even bigger going over. ideally take someone with you off here who knows what they are looking for.
Good idea. At the moment im still window shopping, probley for another month or less... so im mainly looking online. I have been down to this garage as its very close, the garage seems a little... not sure. Iffy. "have you had any experience with imprezas before? " Nope, not at all... infact dont have much experience with cars at all... and this is my biggest problem, it actualy nearly put me off buying the dream car Scooby. But them I reasure myself with "eh, its just a car though!" - of course its more but got to keep myself keen. When the time comes to buy im considering giving a really nice person a few £££ to use their brain when looking at a possible buy!
Old 07 January 2007, 11:39 AM
iamleo
Scooby Newbie

Oh and also, A while back i was making small talk with the guy about a differernt scooby and asked if it had S/H etc, he said no as it was imported or something??? seemed a bit, as i said.. iffy
Old 07 January 2007, 02:14 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Well i'm no mechanic but i know the basic and fundemental bits to look for when buying a car. and i also know when something doesn't seem quite right. im a fussy git..the slightest engine rattle and i'm off.likewise clunks from the steering..bearings and whines on the gearbox/diff.

i'm in staffordshire myself so if you do decide to see any cars local and you like the look of them..let me know and i wont mind coming and giving it a once over with you. i'm also looking to buy another subaru for a bit more cash but it really is a case of taking that gamble and going for the car you want.

all cars are suseptable to breaking down ect so what could look amazing on the day could still cause problems down the line. if its any consolation i had a 94 wrx for 2 and a half years and it never missed a beat.

have you seen the 1996 p plate standard wrx for sale in the sales section. 2 yrs newer..similar mileage. plus its got the newer front facelift front end....AND at least 500 quid cheaper.

Last edited by noobscoob; 07 January 2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07 January 2007, 03:03 PM
iamleo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by noobscoob
Well i'm no mechanic but i know the basic and fundemental bits to look for when buying a car. and i also know when something doesn't seem quite right. im a fussy git..the slightest engine rattle and i'm off.likewise clunks from the steering..bearings and whines on the gearbox/diff.

i'm in staffordshire myself so if you do decide to see any cars local and you like the look of them..let me know and i wont mind coming and giving it a once over with you. i'm also looking to buy another subaru for a bit more cash but it really is a case of taking that gamble and going for the car you want.

all cars are suseptable to breaking down ect so what could look amazing on the day could still cause problems down the line. if its any consolation i had a 94 wrx for 2 and a half years and it never missed a beat.

have you seen the 1996 p plate standard wrx for sale in the sales section. 2 yrs newer..similar mileage. plus its got the newer front facelift front end....AND at least 500 quid cheaper.
Nice one! no but will take a look
Old 08 January 2007, 08:28 PM
iamleo
Scooby Newbie

I asked the dealer about the white Sti, I got this reply:

"hello yes we do still have the sti, unfortunatly we do not have history with the car as it is a import so cant guarantee mileage 100% however looking at the condition of the vehicle there is no reasons to suggest that it has been messed around with ,it is still running in kms on the clock best regards eddie"

I really wouldn't like to spend 6 grand on a car assuming the miles are genunine only by the condition of the car. Should i stay clear of this garage?
Old 08 January 2007, 11:55 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Its easy enough to chuck on a new set of pedal rubbers a non tattered gear **** and a less miler steering wheel. im not suggesting its dodgy for a second but buying a car with no varified mileage is just something that you have to be carefull of..especially on an sti where there will also be no service history if there no mileage back up.

theres plenty out there with a service history with decent miles to afford to be fussy.