Hillclimbs

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2001, 10:43 AM
fazack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Two questions:

1) Has anyone experianced hillclimbing in their Subaru ? - I've been to watch it at Harewood and it looks like a good inexpensive way to thrash the pants off.

2) Would trackday insurance cover you for this as you are not racing directly against others ?
Old 01 December 2001, 02:24 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Hillclimbing is cheap motorsport but I'm not sure that it's cheap compared to track days. A typical one day hill climb will see you get 2 practice runs and 2 competitive runs - which works out at between 2 and 4 miles. You'd need a helmet for trackdays but for hillclimbing you'd need an MSA approved one which might be more expensive. You'd also need flame retardant overalls, competition licence, club membership, entry fees etc. If you're running as a road car you don't need a roll cage but they're a damn good idea! You'd also need to think about where you were going to compete - some hills are a lot "car friendly" than others. The hill I go to most is Doune - the track is 12 feet wide and for about two-thirds of its length there is an armco barrier or a wood or stone faced bank right at the edge of the track. Very little room for error! Other places are a lot more open with less to hit!

I don't think track day insurance would cover hillclimbing - you may not be racing but you are competing against the clock. You should be able to get competition car insurance though.
Old 01 December 2001, 03:11 PM
Topcat1974
Scooby Regular

Smile

You might find sprinting is a better alternative if you really want to "give it some". Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but its basically the same as hillclimbing, (ie cars run individually against the clock, from standing start), but they are often run on normal circuits (i.e they have run off areas!!!). Have a look at www.msauk.org for more info...

I don't think track day cover will be of any use... I think the whole competitive thing (timing, licences, results etc) may invalidate it.