ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru Security Compromised?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2007, 07:03 PM
dav3ywrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Subaru Security Compromised?

Guys, this article was in the motoring section of the Telegraph over the Christmas period, It’s not clear to me if it refers to new age ‘Imprezas’ or ‘Classics’ but I’d be interested if you think it’s plausible.

The article reads:-

“This year my new Subaru Impreza was stolen while I remained in possession of both sets of keys. I think I know how this could have happened. As I was looking for the entrance to a car park, I noticed another vehicle pulling out of a lay-by on the left. It followed me into the car park and pulled alongside. The driver immediately started using a laptop, which I think had some sort of aerial attached. I assumed he was downloading data or emails but now believe he was scanning my remote central locking and alarm.

Not long afterwards my car disappeared and there was no traces of broken glass, just a couple of switch covers and a connector block where they had obviously accessed the wiring loom. The thieves had removed and left behind the alarm (Thatcham Cat One).
They had also removed a disc-type anti-theft device from the steering wheel. The car was never recovered.

My insurer, Norwich Union Direct, carried out an investigation (because I still had both sets of keys) but subsequently settled my claim promptly. I was disillusioned, though, with the police. They were totally disinterested and did not investigate the crime in any way. I only wish they persued real crime with the same kind of zeal they reserve for speeding motorists.”

Last edited by dav3ywrx; 04 January 2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04 January 2007, 07:05 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Spooky.......

or a fabricated storey to cover up the truth.
Old 04 January 2007, 07:06 PM
stira2
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound good, right about the police though
Old 05 January 2007, 12:04 AM
onslow
Scooby Regular

why would they remove the alarm if they had used a laptop to by pass it?
surely disconnecting it or doing it somewhere else would be better?
disklok i always thought these were kinda tough to get off
ive read that thieves remove trackers and leave them behind
Old 05 January 2007, 12:14 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the car was stuck on the back of a wagon (not a Scoob wagon !).

Not convinced that the electronic security cannot be overcome, given a knowledgeable thief with sufficient time.
Old 05 January 2007, 12:18 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

The problem is the way the factory alarm is retro fitted into the car (UK cars only) ..plug and play wouldn't be too far from the truth if you have the bits and bobs for the job.

You don't bypass the alarm or immobilser with a laptop, you can't (unless its a Rover ) . BUT if you happen to have a alarm unit that is pre-programmable via a PC before installation (clifford being one of them ). Then its a case of swapping them with one preset into valet mode.

The inductive transponder inside the ignition key is a similar affair.

Tracker installers have a nasty habit of installing their units in the same place on many vehicles. This does not help.

Current security systems don't pay enough focus on locations of security units and how securely they are fiited to prevent tampering. Thatcham standards just say the unit must only be accessible with tools, but that is not enough in this day and age and too open to interpretation.

The most effective device I have seen on a Vehicle alarm/immobilser to combat this is a peice of metal riveted over the main connector on the alarm/immobilser unit that can only be removed with a drill. Which makes it more difficult for the unit to be swapped or bypassed.

I should add, your first and foremost security system is a DISKLOCK (or AUTOLOCK 2000) Electronic security has been proven time and time again to be ineffective as a deterrant and prevention to theft. Yes its heavy, cumbersome and unfashionable. But there is nothing better on the shelf that tells a theif to f*** off (or hide behind a bush and mug you for the keys)

Last edited by Shark Man; 05 January 2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05 January 2007, 12:23 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A. Every oem alarm (even retro-fitted ones) are located in the same place.
B. All you need is a suitable alarm control unit set to 'valet'; a key, barrel and ECU to suit (and maybe a stilson!).
C. Trackers are usually fitted unimaginatively and theyre very easy to spot/find/disable.
D. Considering A,B & C above, D is a piece of **** isnt it?