ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING....!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2007, 10:23 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING....!!

Take a read of this - hope it wasn't a scoobynetter...

Subaru : 2003 BG52 ZFX STI8 PPP

The for sale ad: Subaru : Subaru Impreza sti 8 ppp
Old 03 January 2007, 10:27 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Raf.

I was planning on going to look at this car with RMA26 at the weekend. Money and time saved.

Car is currently on ebay I note as well!!
Old 03 January 2007, 10:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The buyer is Irish but English law would apply. If he bought the car unaware of the outstanding finance and the finance companys interest then he would obtain good title to the car. That means that he would own the car. In that circumstance the finance company can only take action against the dishonest seller.

Simon

*doubters: research the Hire Purchase Act 1964*
Old 03 January 2007, 10:40 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

Not that straight forward especially when the finance company track it down and send out a couple of mentalists to recover their property, in this 'Big Brother' country as soon as it's taxed and registered to the new innocent keeper the finance company will soon be out to get back the car!!. Why on earth do people not HPI cars before leaving to view especially when travelling so far. HPI reports are easy to alter so always do your own
Dave.
Old 03 January 2007, 10:46 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

They cant 'recover their property'; the law is clear: it wouldnt be their property (unless they could prove that the new owner knew that finance was outstanding and/or wouldnt be settled).
Old 03 January 2007, 10:48 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Current owner may pay off the outstanding finance with the money received from the sale of the car? Nowt wrong with that is there?

TX.
Old 03 January 2007, 10:52 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Current owner may pay off the outstanding finance with the money received from the sale of the car? Nowt wrong with that is there?

TX.
good point but would you trust a complete stranger to do that
Old 03 January 2007, 11:09 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I've done this before! Gave the owner a cheque payable to finance co for outstanding amount then paid cash/cheque for the difference (car was worth more than outstanding sum). It was a Honda ITR, awesome machine!

TX.
Old 03 January 2007, 11:10 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

If finance was o/s I'd make the bankers draft out to the finance house.

All things considered all does not seem right with this car HPI issues aside.

Staying clear.
Old 03 January 2007, 11:11 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I've done this before! Gave the owner a cheque payable to finance co for outstanding amount then paid cash/cheque for the difference (car was worth more than outstanding sum). It was a Honda ITR, awesome machine!

TX.
Aggghhhhh beat me to it fast fingers
Old 03 January 2007, 11:18 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

finance on a vehicle is NOT an issue of the seller of the car tells you before so you are aware - one can then make arrangements to settle the finance in many ways (as mentioned above)

However saying its hpi clear - offering to show a report and then finding out it is on hpi..! if i'd flew and spent (wasted) 500quid as the buyer suggests he has done i'd be well P'd off to say the least

Raf.
Old 03 January 2007, 11:31 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Question

Originally Posted by GC8
They cant 'recover their property'; the law is clear: it wouldnt be their property (unless they could prove that the new owner knew that finance was outstanding and/or wouldnt be settled).
I thought that title remained with the finance company until the original purchaser made the final payment. If 2nd party hands funds over to original purchaser that is their lookout. Title holders are entitled to recover for the outstanding monies regardless of the sale from original to 2nd party.

If that were NOT the case - People would be buying cars week in week out and selling on to pals etc for £50
Old 04 January 2007, 12:04 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
I thought that title remained with the finance company until the original purchaser made the final payment. If 2nd party hands funds over to original purchaser that is their lookout. Title holders are entitled to recover for the outstanding monies regardless of the sale from original to 2nd party.

If that were NOT the case - People would be buying cars week in week out and selling on to pals etc for £50
Ive referred to the appropriate law in my first post; I assure you that what I have said is absolutely correct. Only an imbecile would act in the way youve suggested; seeing as they remain liable for the outstanding balance owed.
Old 04 January 2007, 09:12 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your wasted time, journey & money

Thanks for the heads up
Old 04 January 2007, 09:31 AM
Tilly
Scooby Regular

I have not read the whole thing so sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick but if a car has outstanding finance, is is perfectly fine to sell on. The seller should request a settlement figure in writing and the buyer pays the finance company directly.

If the seller has negative equity in the car - ie. selling it for less than the remaining finance, the buyer pays £x amount (whatever they're purchasing the car for and the seller pays the shortfall or if the shoe is on the other foot; the seller has positive equity - ie. the car is worth more than the remaining finance, then the buyer pays the settlement in full to the finance company and the remaining equity to the seller. This is legal and perfectly normal practice. The finance company will then issue a letter (a faxed confirmation is fine) to say they no longer hold any financial interest in that car