Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2000, 07:42 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking of having a unichip fitted next week,do any existing owners have any coments, or power differences it made to the cars? or is it not worth it?
Old 09 November 2000, 10:03 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Unichip is the dogs bollox with Ice Cream! I think that sums it up!
Old 09 November 2000, 10:40 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Fatboy's right, it's a great mod.

To see torque-curves of my UK spec car after a Unichip, take a look at
Old 09 November 2000, 10:55 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sam,

I assume you are using PS, you won't regret it!!!!!
Old 09 November 2000, 10:57 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

what sort of price is the unichip? Does
it require setting up on a rolling road,
as the pe ecu?

ta,
matt
Old 09 November 2000, 11:02 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Yes Andy, it is PS and if I can get some extra cash eibachs as well.
Old 09 November 2000, 11:18 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Im getting mine done at PS week monday. Cant wait, heard so much

Cost is £495 + VAT (£581.60)

This includes supply, fit and setup....very reasonable IMHO.

David Brown, where are you based and Harj, remind me, what car do you drive with what mods?? Seen it in action, but cant remember (V4/V5??)

Cheers all

Richie
Old 09 November 2000, 11:31 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Why is PE so dangerous ?. I heard a Unichip car blew up recently. Engines expiring is not a PE or Powerstation exclusive. Std cars have been known to let go especially STI V's. I would say that Unichip is AS dangerous as PE.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 10 November 2000).]
Old 10 November 2000, 07:08 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Ow, let's not make another thread go down the drain because we feel like slaggin. I'm not a moderator or anything, but this is just very uninformed banter. (and we have 22B chat for that .

DavidBrown, we got up to 265 BHP/ 252 lbs/ft on the PS rollers last Saturday, with badly overfuelling UK cars We use a Dutch chip (EMS). We did still have 98 RON fuel in our tanks though, might make a diff.

We had a very long talk with Dirk, and the thing that became obvious is that they let *you* decide how far you want to go (or how safe you want to stay). Mapping is not voodoo, it is knowing how far you can go. The Unichip is of course not as "refined" as a MoTec, but you can do some pretty nifty mapping with it. You can also go bonkers on it. Harj's map was shown as a "very good, but agressive" map. Others were shown that had more "safety net" mappings on them.

It is obvious they know their stuff, and they take the "mystique" out of tuning, which I think is very good. They *measure* things.

A car with a Unichip blew up ? Sure, even cars with the standard chip blow up at the mo. Big ends are a problem on some cars, and nobody is really sure what is happening. Detting ? Hell, even bog standard 22B's have been detting on PS rollers (right Chuck ?).

I'm not defending PE or UniChip or whatever, not my job, but please, let's try to stick to the facts (if known). I do personally feel that the UniChip - given a decent mapper, but that goes for all ECU's - is a very good VFM.

Theo

PS : I can not provide Paul Strong with the 265 BHP run (no printout, but just ask Dirk), I can however provide the second run graph, which was only 260 BHP. However, I don't think it is that important. More important was we found out our tuned cars were actually very safe (9.5 % CO and beyond, 2 cars off the scale (10 %)... And even more important was the effect of the bumpsteer mod (but that is another thread).

PS2: my car will, after saying this, probably go bang tomorrow LOL
Old 10 November 2000, 09:22 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Theo,
Well said!

Johnathan,
Thats the kind of rumours we DONT need!!

For your information the car you are referring to is Jon Hughes STI. But can I state that IT WASNT down to the UNICHIP, as was at first stabbed at!!

SammyH
Awesome bit of kit!
If you look at the dyno site, you will see my old 94 WRX on there. The most powerfully chipped EARLY Scooby @ 280bhp!!!!! Go to Powerstation......they are the DADDIES

Shaun.

Old 10 November 2000, 10:35 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Harj has a unichip on his, and well...thats proper fast and a genuine 300bhp. Hes had no problems.

Go for it!
Old 10 November 2000, 02:07 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Theo.
As your from Belgium, your figures have to be compared against all the other 'import' figures so .
I believe the most powerful UK car to run at PS is Bob Iles PE Phase 1 car.
I expect to do better this weekend, as it'll be the first time there with a non-standard ECU (poochip run aside!).
No doubt I'll get poo figures for some reason now though!

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 10 November 2000).]
Old 10 November 2000, 02:49 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Of course u will Stef!!!!!!
Old 10 November 2000, 05:29 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Damn Stef, I knew I was gonna get caught

So, my car is the slowest import of them all , a full 7 BHP and 4 lbs/ft down on an STi V with a ****load of mods.

I can live with that

Roll on the poo numbers !

Old 10 November 2000, 05:46 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Yes Stef
My MY98 might be the most powerfull UK car up to now but according to this thread its dangerous, Hogwash. I knew I should have got a Unichip then all would have been OK.
Old 10 November 2000, 05:54 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Bob, with all respect, but that was certainly not what I was saying ...

Old 10 November 2000, 06:10 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Smile

This is something that i have been thinking about for some time now. I need to get my car sorted with either a unichip or link, primarily for saftey reasons and a little bit more power.

But which do i go for the, car is STI V5 Type R, the usual breathing mods, ALWAYS run on sul and millers.

So what benefits do you get with the cheaper Unichip over the more expensive Link and vise versa?, is the link worth the extra dosh or what lads.

Harj
Your car is running water injection, is it not. So does that make it more reliable with the unichip? or is it worth going for Link without W/I.

All i want to know really is which is the most RELIABLE.

Paul
Old 10 November 2000, 07:11 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

EvilBevel/ I was not referring to you. I was referring to DavidBrown
Snip
Which, a dangerously PE upgraded car aside, is one of the most powerful UK-spec PowerStation have tested.
End
Was there any need to say my car had a dangerous upgrade? Why slag my car? The car has done over 20,000 miles in just over a year and has been on the track many times and driven very hard over Exmoor many a time. All this and it runs on 95 Ron fuel with no problems.

Perhaps DavidBrown would have been better off saying his car was the most powerful at the “wheels”. We will not talk of the Torque as his faired very poorly up against the PE, and the Link.
Old 10 November 2000, 07:16 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Didnt Grant have to go BACK to PS because his Unichipped car was running TOO LEAN?

Stef, arent Belgium cars the same spec as UK cars (as opposed to Jap spec cars)?

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 10 November 2000).]
Old 10 November 2000, 07:39 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Walker,

Dont bother asking technical questions like that to Harj......he just pays 'em the money

Harj's car was running as sweet as a nut WITHOUT WI, but did not have 300+BHP. Harj wanted to go the extra furlong. So to enable the car to run slightly more boost than his first UNICHIP map, and with more ignition it was recommended for him to use WI, for safety reasons!

So it all depends on what you wanna get out of it in the end!

Shaun.
Old 10 November 2000, 09:45 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

My car feels soooooooooow quick and runs 1.4bar of boost all day long

The Unichip is some sort of thingy that makes the car go faster, ive also got some water injector thingy that sprays water somewhere in the metal lump on my car

Harj....
Old 10 November 2000, 10:38 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Sunil, they sure are, Stef was only making fun of me (and resetting the targets at the same time )

Bob, I don't want to go into big debates about PE: let's just say I'm not so convinced that your map would be completely unsafe; the comments about "dangerous" seemed a bit "precox" and uncalled for, hence my reaction.

Harj: stop using those technical terms will ya
Old 11 November 2000, 09:42 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Question

A question and a comment.

David Brown - why are 22bs and P1s excepted from the 'most powerful non-UK Scoob'. Harj did acheive incredible figures, but I am not sure that any P1 has been there, they all came in low at PS, unless something has happened in the last few weeks.

And a standard 22b is in the same boat.

Anyway, what about Moray's car with Motec, didn't PS say that this was the quickest car they have ever driven on the road?

Second comment about detting - Chuck did have det at PS which he could not replicate elsewhere.

I have also had a 'private session' at PS where I could not push the top end as I had recurrent (albeit mild) det. I know this is true of other cars. Interestingly, I CANNOT, at the same level of tune, replicate this det on the road or the track - and this is with either datalogging or real time capture of knock events.

So there is a caution about talking about det on the PS rollers and what happens in the real world.

I 'suspect' that there is a risk that some cars are being pushed to the edge of the envelope using water spray and injection to get the fattest curve on the rollers - and then powering up a hill or out of a bend on the track, run out of water with potentially disastrous consequences!

Just a thought.

R
Old 11 November 2000, 11:14 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Rannoch, getting confused now. I thought that logically you'd have more change of a car not detting on the rollers, but doing so on the road ? Hence the comments you sometimes see "mapping a car on a RR is an accident waiting to happen". Your post seems to indicate that - at least at PS - this is not the case, quite the contrary.

So my question would be: why do cars det on PS rollers, and not "in the real world" ? Don't think it would be the cooling, because that seemed quite appropriate. Resistance of the rollers maybe ?

Anyway, to be clear, I was not trying to say "22B's always det", I was trying to put things into perspective when people state "PE mapped cars are always dangerous" or "a car with a UniChip just blew up".
Old 11 November 2000, 11:38 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

I think Rannoch brings up some very valid comments about PS's rollers. My P1 on their had a very sharp decrease in boost. This is something I cant get on the road either. Are conditions on their very valid when it comes to the road. On another rolling road the boost dropped off progressively.

Jonathan
Old 11 November 2000, 04:16 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Evil,

you are right in that I am mixing up two comments about the rolling road.

My primary comment was to defend Chuck's 22b in that a number of cars will det on the PS rolling road that will not det elsewhere - proven by det cans, knock link, datalogging, whatever.

My secondary point, which I threw in because I was getting carried away - was really about tuning a car to the max for the rollers using say, water spray and injection. This is fine in a controlled environment - BUT what happens when you are out on the track and the water runs out. The accident waiting to happen has now just happened.

I hope that makes sense now!

Finally, I am not qualified in any way to say why the PS rollers cause the detting behaviour, I believe from others that it is a combination of the load impedance that they use (i.e. high) and the way they build the power up quite slowly - this causes a huge build up of heat in the block.

From my own experience this would seem to be the case as a second run is almost not viable due to the heat build up.

This is not to say that PS is not a good place for tuning, again experience would suggest the contrary.

R
Old 11 November 2000, 06:59 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Luckily I sold my dangerously remapped car and purchased a new one.
“Is it safe” [Marathon man]
This car has now had a PossomLink, fitted. Cheers Bob.
Just came back from PowerStation and my link-powered car has knocked my PE Phase 1 car off the top spot.
**** Stirring Bob puts away drill and logs off.
Old 12 November 2000, 12:26 AM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Someone mention my name

[This message has been edited by GRANT (edited 13 November 2000).]