Sponsored by:

Just to let you know

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2001, 01:39 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

There was a post a while back about how long you should leave the scoob before turning it off. At the time I said I was having a TT fitted and that I would let you know how I got on.

Well ...

The average time seems to be between 25 - 30 seconds when the car has been driven normally around town.

However, last night having driven for about half an hour on the motorway, this time rose to 5 minutes :O By the time I reached home, this had dropped to around 2 minutes.

I must admit, I'm surprised at how long everything takes to settle down.

Hopefully someone out there in scoobyland might find this usefull.

Cheers

Gazza
Old 30 November 2001, 01:46 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Question

Does anyone know what happens if you just turn the engine off without letting it have any cooling down time?

Even when I have left my car running for a few minutes, there is still a lot of ticking going on of bits cooling down once I have turned it off. Is this noraml for Scoobies. I has never happened on a car I have had before!
Old 30 November 2001, 01:50 PM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

The ticking you hear is mainly the exhaust system cooling and shrinking, and is entirely normal for all cars, not just scoobs.

The major danger with not letting the turbo cool is that the turbo's bearings are lubricated with engine oil. The oil is pumped through the bearings , and because it runs back into the engine, it doesn't get too hot. When you turn the engine off, the oil stops pumping, and the turbocharger (if it's really hot) can boil the oil in the bearings. This leaves a horrible messy sticky gunk in the bearing and is a recipe for bearing failure.

The Turbo timer allows the engine to idle, thus keeping the oil flow through the bearing until the turbo has cooled to more reasonable levels.
Old 30 November 2001, 01:54 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks! Slippy
Old 30 November 2001, 02:09 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

Surely this depends on how hard you have been driving the car, there is a sticker in my car that says, leave car in idle mode for a few minutes after motorway driving, or something to that affect. If I go for a poodle round town, I switch it straight off.
I must admit I try not to take round town as Imprezas, so I've heard don't like short start and stop stints and have a tendancy not to restart, which I've had first experience of.

Mark
Old 30 November 2001, 02:15 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

That's right, It does depend on how hard you drive. The turbo timer monitors your "right foot" and sets the timer accordingly. It also depends how much time you are "on boost".

Never had a problem starting the scoob after short journeys

Gazza.