Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Edited by Hos - 12/1/2001 7:54:52 AM]
Old 30 November 2001, 10:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

We all hear the horror stories on tv etc about road rage, how it happens etc, well heres mine
There i was yesterday, driving through a town in scotland (down the A71) doing around 30mph in a 30 zone (was reading about 32/33mph on the clock in the astra van) and a turquoise audi a4 tdi pulls out from the juntion i pass on the left, he gets progressivly closer to the rear of the van (a 30 zone and it was raining too, also the wonderful tyres they put on the van mean torque steer from hell in the wet )
So on hitting the national speed limit i accellerate up to 65/70mph, this guy is still 2 inches off my back bumper, no indication to over take etc, i dont know the roads that well and being intimidated to go much faster down a road i dont know i gently tap the brakes to keep him back off my bumper, (yes it probably aint the best thing to do but if i needed to stop fast i wouldnt be able to as he'd have ran up the back of the van).
So hes still there, braking hard as i tapped the brakes (noting that where he was behind me i 1, couldnt see his headlights, 2 could only see half his bonnet, 3 he couldnt see past me!!!)
with this he got a little irate and started flashing his lights at me (he pulled out slightly to the right so i could see them but still didnt make any move to over take on the straights)
I dabbed the brakes again as i was coming to a corner and needed to slow down a little, (slight bend in the road, wet road remember)
and he bumps the van from behind!!!!!! at 70mph!!!! purposely!!!
So comes up to the next roundabout where i brake and stop (he goes around me and stops infront of me (busy roundabout so lots of witnesses if anything happened) i get out and ask him what the f**k hes playing at, he says i braked on him, i say to him that being 3 inches off the back of my rear bumper what am i meant to do, just the fact that if i needed to brake hard would he have stopped etc, he threatened to punch me light out, (felt like laughing then as it seemed quite hillarious at the time, was shaken afterwards thou, more with anger that some total pr1ck like this is on the roads, bullying people to go faster as he didnt even want to overtake me!!!)
Basically i gave him **** for his wonderful driving and told him that my van aint the best thing in the wet, and wtf did he think of when he hit my rear bumper (could have spun the van!!)
I wasnt driving agressivly IMHO, he just bullied me to go faster down these roads, he couldnt see past me so if there had been something there then he would have hit the van making things worse [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] he was a touch bigger than me (im under 6ff, he was over 6ft and fat).
I cant remember all the reg thou, it was something like R309 U**
So if you see this arrogant g1t on the road, give him a wide berth (as he needs it cos hes a fat g1t )
Could have been worse i know but my van handles like a bag of spanners in the wet

Tony
PS, think he had some minor damage to the front of his car and ive got a small scratch on the vans rear bumper

Edited due to my spelling DOH!!

[Edited by TonyBurns - 11/30/2001 10:48:16 AM]
Old 30 November 2001, 10:50 AM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

I'd be reporting this to the bizzies if I were you mate! He's only going to get someone else hurt.

All the best,

Dean
Old 30 November 2001, 10:53 AM
Paul Swarbrick
Scooby Regular

Agree with Dean - report him Tony before he DOES cause an accident!! The police should be able to trace him with the car's description and the partial plate.

Cheers
Paul
Old 30 November 2001, 10:58 AM
2WD James
Scooby Regular

report it and then they could match up the colours on the two vehicles and you might if your luckey get him done, if he is stupid enough to admit it. You should of got a witness.
Old 30 November 2001, 11:00 AM
blair
Scooby Regular

Angry

Definitely report it.

This guy is going to hurt someone if he keeps driving like this.

Andy

Old 30 November 2001, 11:01 AM
Tigger1306
Scooby Regular

I use the mobile phone to store the reg numbers of people that are acting like that and therefore if they do hit you or anything and drive off, you've always got there reg number to fall back on. I know you ain't ment to do this, but it the easiest way to store the info. needed.
Old 30 November 2001, 11:01 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think that sort of stuff is a total outrage [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Its not so bad happeneing to you, as you could handle it (hope you know what I mean), but if it was my misses or anyones wife/girlfriend/mother/old person then it makes matters even worse.

Definitely give the cops a call......these people should be locked away [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 30 November 2001, 11:14 AM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

This happened to me in my last car. I turned out of my road onto a main road with a 30 limit. immediately, a white van which was in the distance when i pulled out is right up my ar$e. i stick religiously to thirty.

We near the national speed limit section, and about 200 yards from it he pulls out to overtake. I gave it slightly large in order to hold him behind me. he dropped back in behind me, then rammed me.

I took his number out the mirror, and whilst still driving, called the police.

they were not really interested at all. told me to pull over and let him pass. i asked them if they were going to do anything about it. they said no, but i could probably prosecute if there was any damage. so i hung up the phone.

anyway, we get to the traffic lights at the end of the nat. speed limit bit. i stop at the front of the queue, and he gets out of his van. he pulled me out of my car and starts to hit me, shouting and swearing. so i thought **** it, and had a lash back. battered him a bit.

so, whilst i was lucky in that i was larger than him, it left me disgusted that the police didnt want to do anything about this hooligan. what if i'd have been a young lady or an oap or something? what would have happened then?

thinking back, i wish i'd put his head through the windscreen.
Old 30 November 2001, 11:20 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Angry

Definately report it - shouldn't be allowed to get away with it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 30 November 2001, 11:21 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Tony get onto the police straightaway and let them know.........
Old 30 November 2001, 11:25 AM
Roger The Cat
Scooby Regular

Angry

report him

Old 30 November 2001, 11:31 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think there is a direct corrollation between thick people and road rage!

Old 30 November 2001, 11:52 AM
GazP
Scooby Regular

Angry

This happened to me the other week. NormallY I would have gotten out and flattened the guy, but I was ill with tonsilitis and flu. Reported it to the Police, who said they would go round and warn the guy, and that they would get back to me, but they haven't. Probably too busy with their laser guns gathering money for stupid causes...
Old 30 November 2001, 11:53 AM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

This is why i bought a HUGE maglight when I was in the USA (cop style one, size of a mini base ball bat I don't think you can get one this big in the UK) Not saying I would use it but if he got out the car to me I would show him it through the window and see if he wanted a closer look of it :-).
Old 30 November 2001, 12:23 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

I keep a 2ft long breaker bar under my front seat.... I use it for tightening up the wheel nuts and for changing the wheels.

I imagine it would be a pretty good deterrent if someone got 'too violent'..... not that they would, cos I am over 6ft tall and built like a brick.....etc

The bar is a little obvious; I have a large maglight on my xmas list...

P

Old 30 November 2001, 12:45 PM
tyre monkey
Scooby Newbie

Angry

unfortunately there are too many ****** out there who think every stretch of tarmac is a race track. What is their hurry?? I am sure a lot of people on this forum enjoy driving their scooby hard, BUT as and when the circumstances are right and safe

As many of the others have said if poss report the ****, and if you had his number I would think nothing of visiting the plod

In that kind of car, probably a company car, he thinks he is god

Will end up hurting someone else....
Old 30 November 2001, 12:52 PM
cookie_monster
Scooby Newbie

slippyr4 said:

> We near the national speed limit section, and about 200 yards
> from it he pulls out to overtake. I gave it slightly large in
> order to hold him behind me. he dropped back in behind me, then > rammed me.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong; but why on earth did you accelerate when he tried to past ? There is absolutly nothing worse than pulling out to go past someone and having them floor it, so that you are now stuck on the wrong side of the road. Thats just barking mad, no wonder he went into the back of you

Old 30 November 2001, 01:29 PM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

You're right, i aggravated him, which i shouldnt have done. but it's still no excuse for ramming.
Old 30 November 2001, 01:36 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Now this is wierd. I've just had a go at the driving theory test, just for a luagh to see how much I remembered. I got 34 out of 35. The one I got wrong went as follows:

You are driving along at the speed limit. A car approaches from behind going faster than you are with his lights on. What should you do?

a. maintain your current speed
b. increase your speed
c. slow down / pull over and let them past
d. (can't remember what it was!)

I put a. I was wrong, the correct answer, according to the highway code / DSA is c.

Sounds iffy to me!

edited cos I can't get my alphabet right!!

[Edited by TaviaRS - 11/30/2001 2:24:30 PM]
Old 30 November 2001, 02:06 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

Someone must have made a mistake there, surely. If that's right then they are condoning breaking the speed limit. I'm sure the police would laugh if you gave that as an excuse for speeding or being flashed by a camera...
Old 30 November 2001, 02:23 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

sorry, correct answer was c, I'm just semi-literate and have trouble with the alphabet!!!!
Old 30 November 2001, 02:27 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

So they are condoning allowing the person behind to keep speeding? Unless they've got blue flashing lights I'd stay exactly as I was. If it slows them down then all the better.
Old 30 November 2001, 02:42 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

They are condoning not behaving like a policeman. If someone really really wants to get past, then it's always better to just let them go. If you want to play policeman, then be prepared for the other driver to play criminal. How do you know the person behind isn't an undercover policeman, a doctor or an escaped psychopath?

In both cases, I would either have moved over and let the guy go past or disappeared over the horizon never to be seen again. If someone wants to break the law, then that's their decision, not mine.

Slippyr4, if you're going to deliberately obstruct someone overtaking (which is what happened here), then don't hang about after the event so that they can wreak revenge.
Old 30 November 2001, 06:32 PM
scooburt
Scooby Regular

I was subject to a bit of the old road rage about a year ago. Casually driving along in my MR2 doing 50 in a 50 on a dual carriageway, when Mr Boyracer decides its time to play, so he ancors up, leaving me no option but to brake and stop, and then slaps it in reverse and drives towards me. Not a lot I could do but put mine in reverse, rather quickly, and try an cut past him. Needless to say I wasn't impressed, so i dialed the police from my mobile, to bit hit with the usual question name address, etc. Nothing was done, apart from giving me a few extra grey hairs!!!
Old 30 November 2001, 08:27 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

If you want to play policeman, then be prepared for the other driver to play criminal.
Very good point.

And BTW, report him!

Simon.
Old 30 November 2001, 09:26 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Red face

Report him. With a good description of the car and a partial plate, the Police will find him if they want to.

Chances are he's done this before and will do it again, so another complaint might just make things worse for him....

Glad you're alright mate!
Old 30 November 2001, 09:59 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

I can only offer sympathy in this one. I was pulled out of my car a while back (see http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ID=2457&Page=1) and asked for advice on here. Only damage in my case was a bruised ego and an unsatiable desire to find the f{}ker again with a large stick. Everyone was very supportive and suggested similar in that I should call the police. Sensible option one would think. I tried that - Waste of time. When I asked how I could report the incident they said that I may get a dangerous driving counter-charge levied back by the person who'd given me a smack (as I'd overtaken a lorry that had apparently broken down?). When I mentioned that there were traffic cameras on the roundabout in questions these 'could only be looked at after the charges have been brought and then there's no guarantee you'll have photo evidence.' Whether any of this was true or not I didn't go ahead and follow up. Dozens of cars stopped next to the incident (traffic lights) but no offer of help there either and no witnesses. Guy that slapped me was a crusty so probably no registration to trace the unmarked lorry he was driving. I wasn't particularly impressed with the police attitude (to put it gently) and now I rely on locked doors in town traffic and 'emergency Mag-Lite in case I break down in the night.'

Thames Valley Police motto - "Reducing Crime, Disorder and Fear." My Big Fat Hairy ****.

Joolz
Old 30 November 2001, 10:06 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Oh one thing else I have to mention - My driving style now is considerably more polite than it was previously. I know more than before I am in a car that can easily be picked out of 1000 as I drive the same route every day. You won't catch me brake testing anyone (that's what rear fogs are for!) or cutting in to save a couple of minutes traffic queues. You might not be jumped immediately but when our cars tend to shout 'Target' you better keep your wits about you

Every time I stop on that roundabout, I instinctively now lock my doors.
Ba$tards.
Joolz

Quick Reply: Victim of road rage!!