Warming up and Cooling down

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 12:25 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warming up and Cooling down

Howdy people,

Was just curious as to how long you lot warm up and cool down your scooby's?

In the morning do you warm it up first then drive it, or just drive straight away and just not give it any boost?

And when cooling down, I have a turbo timer and if I travel around 15 miles it says I should be cooling down for around 4-5 minutes. This is just crazy, no?!

Anyway, I appreciate any help on the above.

Cheers,

Acey
Old 28 December 2006, 12:28 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

It's never a good thing to let it idle to warm up......the best bet is to get a decent oil temp gag and wait for it to get above 80 before going over 3k....

As for the cooling down, again it's not advisable to leave it running waiting for fans to kick in (unless it kicks in, then let it turn off) just do the reverse of warming up for the last 5-10 mins of your journey....
Old 28 December 2006, 12:31 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

what...? thats how you break your seals warming it up that way^^^^^^ and as for cooling it down.... if you have an aftermarket turbo, you will cook the thing....you could not be more wrong T'O G

you should let her run for about 5 min or until you get to proper running temp..... then go easy on it until youve went like a mile(just to get the oil up into all the seals of the engine..... then feel free to drive her like you stole her....but pls do not start her up and race her right away.... that is terrible. as for cooling down.... turbo timers dont hurt (although subarus dont need them because your stock IHI turbo is oil and water cooled so you could just shut your car off) but it is always good to let a car idle down after driving it.... even N/A cars benifit from this

steve

Last edited by wrx_yank; 28 December 2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 28 December 2006, 12:38 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Maybe speak to the rest of the ESC before calling me wrong septic....

You break your engine seals by not exceding 3krpm until it gets above 80 on the oil temp?...er.......no.........thats called letting the engine warm up before using the "gas"
It's better than just "driving a mile"

And I do have an after market turbo, probably have one of the more powerful scoobs in the ESC and letting the engine warm down on the way back from a blast is better than just letting it idle for ten mins...how does that blow up the turbo??

What I was saying was drive the car to warm it up, and drive slower when you're about 5-10 mins to your house BEFORE you turn it off.....leaving the Subaru to idle isn't needed as that is the ONE point you have correct...

Last edited by Tripple'O G; 28 December 2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 28 December 2006, 12:58 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

I normally keep below 3krpm and keep the boost low for the first 10mins of driving. Then on the way home, drive off boost and maintain a steady speed to cool down. If i can't drive of boost (ie i'm late for work ) I let the engine idle for 1 minute after stopping.

Mark
MY02PPP
Old 28 December 2006, 01:20 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like the chap above, I warm it up by not giving it some for the first 10 mins or so. No special cool down procedure though, unless filling up on the motorway, then light throttle only for the last mile or so. Forester Turbo has no special cool down requirements owing to the smaller turbo charger fitted.
Old 28 December 2006, 01:31 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

As above really, drive straight off, as i start work at 6am, if i sat there idling while it warmed up the neighbours would be less than happy at 5.30 AM.

Just take it easy for the first few miles, same for cooling just drive off boost for a mile or so before stopping.

The one to watch out for as mentioned also above is the motorway services, its very easy to stop for petrol after a long motorway blast then turn the engine off straight away at the pump.
Old 28 December 2006, 01:36 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Just drive it off boost before warm and few a few miles before the end of your jouney.

Off boost = 2500rpm and under. However it won't blow up if you ocassionally have to go past 3000rpm when pulling out onto busy roads etc.

Some people get so **** about all this its unbeliveable. Most cars blow up because they been driven too hard throughout their life or running more than stock BHP, warming up and cooling down will never change that.
Old 28 December 2006, 01:43 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acey2005
Howdy people,

Was just curious as to how long you lot warm up and cool down your scooby's?

In the morning do you warm it up first then drive it, or just drive straight away and just not give it any boost?

And when cooling down, I have a turbo timer and if I travel around 15 miles it says I should be cooling down for around 4-5 minutes. This is just crazy, no?!

Anyway, I appreciate any help on the above.

Cheers,

Acey
Just a quick question did you use the search? If not this has been done already and just in case you want to ask the following:

1) What oil to use
2) Are BOV any good?
3) Is an Evo better than an Impreza
4) My rear shocks are knocking ...
5) Etc

Just use the search first (I'm saying this politely and hope it helps)
Old 28 December 2006, 02:22 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Yeah, my bad for not checking the search option

Appreciate all your input on this guys. Thanks!

Anyone wanna buy a Greddy turbo timer?

Cheers,

Acey
Old 28 December 2006, 04:15 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

personally, when i start my car up after its been sat for a while, especially cold mornings, it idles at around 1.5k revs for a couple mins. i always let her tick over for around 5 mins until the idle is around 1k revs, and then stay around 2-2.5k revs for the first couple miles. i personally never drive straight from cold, even if it does annoy the neighbours, bugger them i say!

regards cooling down, same as most, last mile or two of any journey, especially motorway miles, i take it easy, again round 2-2.5k revs. keeps her sweet, and does wonders for the karma!!!

andy
Old 28 December 2006, 04:21 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
Just a quick question did you use the search? If not this has been done already and just in case you want to ask the following:

1) What oil to use
2) Are BOV any good?
3) Is an Evo better than an Impreza
4) My rear shocks are knocking ...
5) Etc

Just use the search first (I'm saying this politely and hope it helps)
Who cares if its been done before! People have answered the guy and hopefully helped him out. Why do people need to get so **** about people asking genuine stuff? If your not interested, dont reply. Simple!
Old 28 December 2006, 04:23 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Andy

Now then, one says it's never a good thing to idle on warm up, yet you have been doing what I 'usually' do and tick it over for a few mo's before driving it. Aaaagghhh lol

Any more opinions welcome!

Cheers,

Acey
Old 28 December 2006, 04:26 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you've definitely helped me out Big Al. It's a really helpful site this one!

Only a couple of conflicting opinions really.

I've just had an engine rebuild and just want to do everything right so not to risk damaging the engine/turbo, etc.

Cheers,

Acey
Old 28 December 2006, 04:48 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G

You break your engine seals by not exceding 3krpm until it gets above 80 on the oil temp?... ...

well its deff not good for them!

And I do have an after market turbo, probably have one of the more powerful scoobs in the ESC ...

who cares? im just trying to help this guy keep his car running well for a long time

and letting the engine warm down on the way back from a blast is better than just letting it idle for ten mins...how does that blow up the turbo??
i dissagree.... for the most part, they yeild the same result, but ive found idle has always worked better than driving at any rpm.
and it doesent blow up the turbo, it cooks the oil inside it because cutting the engine starves the turbo of fresh/cool oil and the heat it already generated cooks the oil left inside. then clogging the oil lines... but you knew that

What I was saying was drive the car to warm it up, and drive slower when you're about 5-10 mins to your house BEFORE you turn it off.....
ok thats fine.... but i never move my car a foot until my temp is in the normal range. and it idles for a minimum of 1 minute anfter every drive.

leaving the Subaru to idle isn't needed as that is the ONE point you have correct...

thank you
Old 28 December 2006, 04:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx_yank
well its deff not good for them!

who cares? im just trying to help this guy keep his car running well for a long time

i dissagree.... for the most part, they yeild the same result, but ive found idle has always worked better than driving at any rpm.
and it doesent blow up the turbo, it cooks the oil inside it because cutting the engine starves the turbo of fresh/cool oil and the heat it already generated cooks the oil left inside. then clogging the oil lines... but you knew that

ok thats fine.... but i never move my car a foot until my temp is in the normal range. and it idles for a minimum of 1 minute anfter every drive.

thank you
Got to agree with Tripple o G here, idle is not good for the car, the point is to get the engine (and oil) hot, the longer it takes......
Giving the car stick from cold is a bad idea, agree with that, the water temp will heat up quicker than the oil temp, its actually quite amazing how long it does take for the oil to get up to its optimal operating temp, a good 10 miles in most cases, something that running it at idle wont do, that just gets the water hot, the oil is still cool which isnt good.

Tony
Old 28 December 2006, 05:04 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

ive been wrong before.... no shame in it.... ill admit defeat, but i just do what ive been shown in the past, it has been working for me so far.... ill try your way though.... ill give her a shot this week.

steve
Old 28 December 2006, 05:07 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony

I guess my neighbours will be a bit happier with me too if I aint idling for 2/3 minutes every morning! Will just drive sensible for the first......Well, all the way to work really cos only work 6 miles away! lol

Cheers,

Acey
Old 29 December 2006, 06:38 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acey2005
Thanks Tony

I guess my neighbours will be a bit happier with me too if I aint idling for 2/3 minutes every morning! Will just drive sensible for the first......Well, all the way to work really cos only work 6 miles away! lol

Cheers,

Acey
suppose everyones got their own way, but i will let her idle first for a few mins, as if i set off straight away, shes terrible to drive, lumpy and all sorts. at least when the water temp is up, its easier to pull off, and feels smoother all round. doesnt mean i give her boost etc until a few miles is done though.

andy
Old 29 December 2006, 07:16 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Struth man!!

I mentioned about having one of the more powerful ones because YOU said about having an after market turbo!?!?!? so I was saying that I know pretty much that I am in that situation!! get it?? need me to draw you a picture????

And I can't believe you STILL don't get the point of NOT exceding 3,000 rpm until the OIL TEMP is ABOVE 80......how in Gods name does that do any
damage?!?!?!
Because you are NOT driving hard when the car is cold????
Isn't that the point?!?!?

AND letting the car cool down on a DRIVE back lets COLD air through the turbo....the turbo isn't spooling on idle is it?!?!?!?!? so how does the cool air get through it or oil get round it???? and ever walked away from your Subaru then come back after an hour and the thing is still hot???
It's because they RUN HOT.....so letting them sit there is never a good thing....

Anyway sod this......

The moral of the story is don't thrash it when it's cold and don't thrash it up until the point you're about to turn it off....
Old 29 December 2006, 02:38 PM
acey2005
Scooby Regular

Your summary will do for me mate!

I certainly never give it any boost until i've done a few miles, It was just a case of wondering whether to idle before and after every drive. Whether you've given it a hard ride or not.

Thanks again.

Acey
Old 29 December 2006, 03:03 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

I start my car in gear, with foot fully on the right pedal, clutch half way out.

Naw only joking i warm it up for a few mins then drive fror 10 mins taking it easy till it gets to temp.
Old 29 December 2006, 03:13 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Can I ask that we have these threads a bit more often ? I find that once a week just isn't enough.
Old 29 December 2006, 03:23 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Can I ask that we have these threads a bit more often ? I find that once a week just isn't enough.
After being on ScoobyNet for 6 months I fully appreciate the above, so true.

No wonder newbies feel unsure about all this, with so much conflicting advice being posted all the time.

Hell, when I got my first impreza 6 months ago I had nightmares about det, knock, slap, pop, bang AND how long to idle the engine after going to tesco's!
Old 29 December 2006, 03:29 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo
After being on ScoobyNet for 6 months I fully appreciate the above, so true.

No wonder newbies feel unsure about all this, with so much conflicting advice being posted all the time.

Hell, when I got my first impreza 6 months ago I had nightmares about det, knock, slap, pop, bang AND how long to idle the engine after going to tesco's!
LOL
Old 29 December 2006, 04:09 PM
wrxmad69
Scooby Newbie

yea ill aways av the same problem in the morning if i drive off straight away its nasty.if u leave it idlin jus for a min or so. i find it is much smoother. n i got a turbo timer, n i always use it. why would they make them n sell them if u really didnt neeed them!!!
Old 29 December 2006, 04:13 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

cheap japanese cereal box cars

with porsches you dont need to do all this warmin up and cooling down malarky
Old 29 December 2006, 04:18 PM
wrxmad69
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AudiLover

Porche wot? BOXTER!!
Old 29 December 2006, 04:33 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover

True but 2k services costs 1 tyre cost more then 4 "NORMAL" tyres. Blow a turbo in a portch (not a spelling mistake) and its asking the bank manager for a loan.. will i continue?

Nah i think thats enough :P
Old 29 December 2006, 04:43 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Ahh this old Scoobynet question, probably been asked a 1,000 times with 10,000 answers.

Here's mine:

Start the car up and drive off. I keep revs lowish for the first 2-3 miles, not going over 4k rpm. Then after that I'll progressively up the revs per mile. Cooling down, I never let the car idle, save for putting the disklok on which takes about 10 seconds. I usually drive off boost for the last part of the journey, and sometimes even put the car in neutral and glide up to my parking spot.

I'm sure those with flashing leds and several guages for this and that will have their own 'expert' analysis on the 'correct' proceedure. My way has seen no engine rebuilds.

Quick Reply: Warming up and Cooling down