Sponsored by:

Alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2006, 08:40 PM
DANGEROUS DAVY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm problems

Anyone had problems with there alarm when parked next to, police stations I had to get towed away tonight from police station second time this year, apparently radio masts interfere with remote signals for alarm, anyone had this problem if so do you have a cure for it help.
Old 19 December 2006, 08:55 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Never heard of that.
How do the police subaru's in manchester cope ?
Old 19 December 2006, 09:08 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

It happened to me at an airport once, had to overide the system.
On a lighter note, are you any relation to Angry Anderson
Old 19 December 2006, 09:10 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Affected my 00MY UK car. Bugeye not bothered by them. Use the keypad to overcome the problem
Old 19 December 2006, 10:26 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DANGEROUS DAVY
Anyone had problems with there alarm when parked next to, police stations I had to get towed away tonight from police station second time this year, apparently radio masts interfere with remote signals for alarm, anyone had this problem if so do you have a cure for it help.

Police stations , fire stations, just about any building that has a radio/microwave transmitter will mess up some Car alarm systems, i had to get mine shielded when i lived in the big smoke as i was between 2 high freq masts. I dont know what you may have to do, what make and model alarm have you?
Old 19 December 2006, 10:38 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

It's the Tetra radio system - it's known for interfering with car alarms / remote systems. You'll also find that you can park in the same spot each day and it won't always affect you
Old 19 December 2006, 10:51 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It was something to do with cars between a certain date. they used a frequency that is now only used for the emergency services. As mentioned, you should know the pin to override this on the alarm keypad.

Trending Topics

Old 19 December 2006, 10:56 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

yep, sigma provided the alarm for subaru, they found problems with police stations and something els, which also effected the range, me m8 told me as he worked for sigma and changes the reciever unit in the alarm for me
Old 19 December 2006, 11:02 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I find that in most cases, if you unlock the car maunually, get in and shut the door (alarm will be going off - obviously) then try the remote whilst inside the car with teh door closed, you'll find it'll work.
Old 19 December 2006, 11:23 PM
DANGEROUS DAVY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DevilHimSelf
Police stations , fire stations, just about any building that has a radio/microwave transmitter will mess up some Car alarm systems, i had to get mine shielded when i lived in the big smoke as i was between 2 high freq masts. I dont know what you may have to do, what make and model alarm have you?
its a sigma m30 alarm cars a 2000 bugeye wrx
Old 19 December 2006, 11:25 PM
DANGEROUS DAVY
Scooby Regular

Think I will change the receiver unit shouldnt be to expensive, or buy a P1
Old 19 December 2006, 11:35 PM
DANGEROUS DAVY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I find that in most cases, if you unlock the car maunually, get in and shut the door (alarm will be going off - obviously) then try the remote whilst inside the car with teh door closed, you'll find it'll work.
remote would not lock car used key to lock it when I got back to car opened it with key press key fob from inside and outside with door open and shut till I had blisters on thumb LOL
Old 20 December 2006, 12:22 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Works with the old unshielded TOADs
Old 20 December 2006, 07:01 AM
Johnhowell
Scooby Regular

Think I will change the receiver unit shouldnt be to expensive, or buy a P1
I was quoted about £150 from Subaru dealer to change the alarm unit to one more shielded. Order period for unit was quite some time.

So, I looked up the keypad code number and use that when required - have to practice in the dark as numbers are not in the usually calculator/keyboard layout :-)

Since owning the car from new in 2000, i have been caught out less than 10 times - but always to maximise embarrassment!

Cheers,
John
Old 20 December 2006, 10:34 AM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
It was something to do with cars between a certain date. they used a frequency that is now only used for the emergency services. As mentioned, you should know the pin to override this on the alarm keypad.
Ive got an 02 bugeye with a standard subaru alarm - alarm keypad - do i have on of these, if so where and how do i get the code - (subaru dealers?)
Old 20 December 2006, 11:48 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Keypad is down by your right knee, pull a little flap down and the key pads inside.

The code comes with the car when new but often gets lost or ignored as, unless you get this kind of problem, you never need to use it.
Old 20 December 2006, 12:06 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

there is an upgrade available and i think it was about £36 from the main dealers. I suffered the same problems on my MY00 when it was parked near certain mobile phone masts
Old 20 December 2006, 10:30 PM
DANGEROUS DAVY
Scooby Regular

I have tried using key pad its ultra sensitive every time I push a button it flashes about six times and never seems to work its been checked by subaru dealer they say it works ok even tried it when key fob was working still did not work
Old 21 December 2006, 10:03 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not certain (ut S/Net user Sigma Sam posts in security)is very knowledgable in these systems.

IIRC the early Sigma M30's (1999-2001) were susceptable.

Some 1998-2000 models wouldn't start if your mobile phone was in a hands free cradle by the Dash apparantly can interfer with the Transponder signal

Ps here's a quote

Originally Posted by "OE Alarm" Sam
Do a searth for "Radio Lock-Out" for a full explanation of this in my previous posts under "Sigma Sam", unless you can still access "Sigma Sam"s previous posts directly.

The later ECU that you need is only now available from Subaru dealers (part number SACC 3465 and will be IRO £70) - local Sigma dealers will only be able to acquire the S-Series models which are not interchangeable and superceeded the M30 some years ago in the aftermarket.

If the problem only occurs occasionally then getting to grips with the PIN overide is your most cost effective option, but if it is a regular occurance then the the convenience may be worth the £70.

SS

Tony
Old 21 December 2006, 11:18 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Where is SIGMA SAM when you need him?
Oh should say OE SAM now days to be PC.
Old 21 December 2006, 12:05 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

From your descriptions it would seem that you do not have a faulty radio key/alarm but the security system is being affected by "Radio key lockout" - An explanation of which is below:

Right here goes....
All alarm systems manufactured for use in the UK in 1999 were required to operate on the frequency of 433MHz. Subsequently, in late 2000, the government allowed the introduction of "Tetra" radio networks for telecommunication companies, the military, emergency services etc which was allocated the 420-430 bandwidths.
Although not exactly the same frequency these "Tetra" transmitters are licensed and are allowed to operate at around 20,000 watts, compared with the alarm systems 0.5 watt radio key.
As a result when you are near a transmitting "Tetra" mast you can get a degree of bleedover as their signal is so much stronger and this can swap the transmission from the radio key.
The problem is not exclusive to this system and can occur on a number of manufacturers systems produced prior to 2001, due to the same outside influance.

In 2001 the reciever boards were re-designed to focus more accurately on the 433.92MHz frequency as soon as the problem became evident, however the systems manufactured prior to this were not considered faulty and therefore were not considered for warranty. However, as a goodwill measure, customers who suffered exceptional radio lock out were offered an upgraded reciever board if the vehicle was still within the warranty period. This measure finished in December 2004.

The keypad, supplied with the security system as standard, is intended to overcome instances such as occassional lock out using the 4 didgit pin code, if this is not available please pm me, and I will take the case from there.

In essence to overcome this, when you are affected by radio key lockout either use the four digit pin through the keypad as this is not atall affected by radio lockout or obtain a later shielded receiver ECU from Subaru they will supply and fit this ECU and the part no for the ECU just in-case you decide to follow this route is SACC3465, either way your problems should then be solved.

Regards

Mike.N

Hope I havent bored you too much with this info, but it is for everybodies benefit in the long-run.