Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get UK numberplates if I'm not from UK?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2006, 08:42 AM
austrianscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get UK numberplates if I'm not from UK?

Hi there!

Can I get UK Numberplates if I'm not from UK? I'm from Austria and if I have UK numberplates i won't get problems with our police!!

Can someone explain how it works with the numberplates and insurance and so on in UK and how much is it for a Classic shape 211HP Turbo!?
Old 19 December 2006, 09:48 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What do the online suppliers say?

=======

Last edited by David Lock; 19 December 2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 19 December 2006, 10:26 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As long as it's Taxed, Registered, Insured, MOT'd and not a weird Import then yes. You must go to your Local Licensing Office and apply. This is much easier than trying to do it via the DLA and is a face to face place. They can advise and if needs be inspect the car if it is an import and then send you on your way.

They will issue a plate appropriate to age etc.

If you have a car now is it currently registered and tested for Austria? (is it like the Germany TUV). This will help.

You will have to change/fit the headlights, Rear Fog lights if not fitted to a left hand drive.

You do not have to be a UK resident to have a UK car.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency try here.

Classics = Good ones - £6-8000 depending on mileage/dealer/spec for a normal UK. Much more for some of the exotic stuff.

= Bad ones from about £2000 but expect problems/issues.

Or keep the Austrian one and hope you don't get stopped for Tax and MOT

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 19 December 2006 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Error
Old 19 December 2006, 01:20 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I think the question is "Can I register my Austrian based car in the UK to avoid Austrian police?" You can for a period of time, but it would be subject to annual roadworthy testing etc. Insurance depends on age location etc. You would have to give a fraudulent UK address which would probably invalidate the insurance anyway. There will probably soon be Europe wide enforcement of traffic violations, so little to gain. You would be better off sticking false local plates on in my opinion. Hope That Helps.
Old 20 December 2006, 08:29 AM
austrianscooby
Scooby Regular

@ speedking thats what i mean!

i'll explain it:

wie have strong regulations for road cars, you mustn't change any part from the original! If you do it you must go to a civilian engineer who inspects if everything is right and all laws are met (for Info our car laws are from 1967.. i think you know which rims, tyres and so on were used in 1967..)
then you get 2 sheets of paper BUT if any policemen means that the car modifications don't met the law.. you loose your number plates, get a penalty and you must go to the car-testing-center of Austria and believe me if there is only a little thing wrong you'll never see your numberplates again..
but enough from GREAT Austria

I live in Austria, get to UK every 2 or 3 years.. is it maybe possible that an Austrian garage makes the MOT for me!? Getting my impreza "imported" to UK on the paper won't be a problem (as I know it's the same as your classic shape Impreza Turbo) i think. But how to do with the MOT.. drive to UK once a year!? maybe it's not a money problem because your insurance and tax is much lower as ours here in Austria (I pay 900 euros a year.. only tax..)
getting a weekend there would be nice i really like the UK was in London a few years ago!
Who knows exactly what can I do? How it works with the address if this is not in the UK!? What papers you must show the policemen!?
Sure I don't want to have problems (stolen numberplates, stolen car etc..)
if it's impossible or too complicated it's ok.. had an idea.. but it's not possible
The austrian policemen wouldn't know how the system in the UK works so I won't have a problem with them..
Old 20 December 2006, 08:47 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Ask here 5ive-o These guys are policemen well most of them and deal with traffic related things too so they would be the best guys to ask.
Cheers
Colin
Old 20 December 2006, 06:43 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

You need to look here...
HM Revenue and Customs forms required to register an imported vehicle : Directgov - Motoring

You would have to complete documents which state that you would be permanently importing your car to the UK.

You have to provide evidence that you were coming to live in the UK and evidence that you were formerly resident in another country.

You would need to provide a UK address, have UK insurance, pay UK car tax, have the car MOT'd each year in the UK and before you get the registration plates it woud be inspected to confirm the car is suitable for the UK, including speedometer in mph, LH headlight pattern etc.

Forget the idea. You live in Austria, so abide by Austrian laws. If you don't like it, move to somewhere else in the EU with a more relaxed attitude to car modifications.

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2006, 09:14 PM
austrianscooby
Scooby Regular

ok brit you are right.. won't be possible without great problems

thanks to all guys who wanted to help me