Sponsored by:

silly driving in scoob!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2006, 10:02 AM
finch81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silly driving in scoob!!!

Just wondered if any of you have experienced the same thing, first of all i have been driving daily for over 5 years, have no points, never crashed etc and have considered myself to be a sensible driver, that was until i got my scoob!!! had it aproximately 6 weeks and i fear i have turned into a complete ****. i cant keep my foot off the throttle, i finish work late say around 3am so the roads are empty and i drive along a road with just fields either side, never the less on sunday night i found myself doing riddiculous speeds so much so that t5 trying to pull me over (of which i was completely unaware of at this point) couldnt keep up with me, it wasn't until i noticed a faint blue set of flashy lights in the distance i slowed down to the speed limit and let him catch up, pulled over and got a stern telling off. luckily he was quite a nice bloke, he sed i know the roadsa are empty etc but at those speeds you will surely be a twisted mess of flash and metal if u crash. im now considering getting rid of the car to avoid the temptation to do it again, anyone else had similar self control problems such as this?? cheers
Old 12 December 2006, 10:06 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes, me too! Reliving my youth on a daily basis and enjoying it!
Old 12 December 2006, 10:08 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I was like this at first, then i calmed down a bit.

Every empty bypass, every empty country road was like a red rag to a bull.
30mph limits is a definate no no though

Even last week someone taunted me and i drove like a 'd**k' it was feckin' stupid and afterwards i was ashamed of myself and promised myself never again. i try to have a certain level of courtesy and safety - especially when there are other road users about.

It depends on what your like normally, hopefully it will wear off. if you drive like a t*t 24/7 then you will end up without a license or worse in a box.

but i'm sure you dont need me to tell you that.

Have fun by all means - its an Impreza if all said and done - but there is a time and a place.

Last edited by The Chief; 12 December 2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12 December 2006, 10:15 AM
AFRIKANZ
Scooby Regular

Think you eventually slow down. Have always believed that most people with 'fast' cars drive 'slower'..........
Old 12 December 2006, 11:05 AM
finch81
Scooby Regular

no no i definatly wouldn't drive like that on 30 roads or any built up area for that matter and think anyone who does should be banned on the spot, but like you say, any slip road, motor way etc i cant seem to help it. the copper in the T5 said if his camera was working it would have been an instant ban!! scared me a bit as i need my car for my job as i finish late in the morning. im hoping the novelty will wear off ive just bought a decat down pipe but im having second thoughts on getting it fitted.
Old 12 December 2006, 11:11 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

You will slow down when the novelty wears off.

i now drive my Scoob slower than any other car i've had. I think it's because i know i have nothing to prove to the rep tossers driving up my **** or the chavs in their 1.0 saxo's that my car is quicker than theirs!

Old 12 December 2006, 11:16 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finch81
no no i definatly wouldn't drive like that on 30 roads or any built up area for that matter and think anyone who does should be banned on the spot, but like you say, any slip road, motor way etc i cant seem to help it. the copper in the T5 said if his camera was working it would have been an instant ban!! scared me a bit as i need my car for my job as i finish late in the morning. im hoping the novelty will wear off ive just bought a decat down pipe but im having second thoughts on getting it fitted.

TBH i slowed right down after i fitted my decat - it almost seemed 'naughty' to be putting my foot down with my exhaust roaring away.
Old 12 December 2006, 11:16 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

time and a place, love giving it beans in mine, but in 30mph stay near it aka no more than 35 max (on the speedo which is about 31-32 on gps). then if driving past school on my estate i seriously **** people off cos i drive about 15mph if its in school time or near kicking out time. just not worth living with the guilt for the sake of a few seconds.

thing that does amaze me is the dirty looks i get for driving slow from mothers tear arsing around in there people carried picking up kids. ffs, i'm oly doing incase one of the kids runs out, which i might add i have had happen adn al i'll say is thank **** i insisted on doing 15mph. kid nearly shat himself, but other than that, a stern telling off from his mum and a thank you to me from his mum, he was fine and dandy and didn't even come close to hitting him, 30mph i would have hit him.
Old 12 December 2006, 11:29 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

I feel the same as you guys, I should be picking up my first scoob soon and this was my biggest concern! I hardly ever venture more than 5mph over the speed limit at the mo so why should this change - like you say I'll have nothing to prove to stupid saxo's etc, there's a time and a place!!!
Old 12 December 2006, 11:35 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

hardly ever venture more than 5mph over the speed limit at the mo so why should this change
But the burble will get you....it gets everyone....

I must admit, I try to live at the limit and I have slowed down much MUCH more then I ever used to.........but damn those empty roads......those empty straights....the cold air spooling the turbo....**** it, i'm going for a spin!
Old 12 December 2006, 11:37 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

The more expensive and faster the car that I've owned the less I speed in it or drive quicker. Was in a few Golf tdi's for a bit and I drove much quicker in them.
Old 12 December 2006, 11:39 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

All you have to realise is that it is just 'self-contol'!
Old 12 December 2006, 12:04 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Default Temptation....

After 9 years of Scoobymania, I still can't resist....
De-cat the bugger, it'll pull even better.... up to the speed limit ????

My pal Jamesemt got rid of his 270+ bhp WRX for a TDI Seat....
Goes faster now than in the Scoob Sorry James....

He needs his licence as well and said he was worried that the Scooby would lose him his licence....

There is a time and a place for it, Blyton is one, but I will admit to a bit of "lane rage" when it's nice and cold and Scooby pulls like a train.....
Old 12 December 2006, 01:18 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by copper in plain clothes
Just wondered if any of you have experienced the same thing, <SNIP>entrapment</SNIP>, anyone else had similar self control problems such as this?? cheers
Old 12 December 2006, 01:20 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking

I never did any of the above - it was just lies all lies to make my ***** look bigger on Scoobynet
Old 12 December 2006, 01:24 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

I have moments where I am tempted and *may* venture above certain limits but I also get a buz driving around at or just below the speed limit knowing I have what I have under my foot. No need to prove it but nice to know its there none the less. Can hit the speedlimit very quickly but very rarely go over it if at all.

Control yourselves and enjoy the knowledge that you have it you want it
Old 12 December 2006, 01:28 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

yes know how you feel, first six months of ownership drove like a loony, calmed down a lot now, only go for a blast on roads i know will be very empty, the irony is since I slowed down i got zapped for doing 54 in a 50, first three points ever! Gutted. at least you were pulled by a human being not a macine!
Old 12 December 2006, 01:39 PM
finch81
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guy's, glad to know im not alone, and that hopefully the novelty will wear off after a while
Old 12 December 2006, 01:47 PM
D00
Scooby Regular

I used to speed lots when I had my LCR, but only do very short bursts in the scooby. Just so scared of loosing my licence tbh, and the cost of getting insurance. I feel I have less to prove with this car anyway. Also, the weather is so bad atm, that I would'nt do it anyway.
Old 12 December 2006, 01:59 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

With me i am that paranoid about getting a good nicking 'cos the car is so much in your face and soooo damn loud i end up driving like a bloody vicar everywhere i go - i have been overtaken at least 5 times this week because i must stick to bang on thirty and it p****es some people off.
Old 12 December 2006, 03:15 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
The more expensive and faster the car that I've owned the less I speed in it or drive quicker. Was in a few Golf tdi's for a bit and I drove much quicker in them.
Think that's true. I drive my vRS much faster than the subaru.

I also agree with a previous post, since i've modded it further, i find myself driving slower. Less to prove to idiots taunting.
Old 12 December 2006, 03:20 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
i end up driving like a bloody vicar everywhere i go
So where does that put vicars who drive Scoobies and share no genes with PS Lewis?
Old 12 December 2006, 08:44 PM
Scooby Regular

i must admit every car ive owned ive hammerd.never in built up areas tho.you still get the **** in there hot hatches trying to push you down the road in built up areas,but i just **** them off by doing 5mph under the limit.but on the open road its gung ho,i just cant resist it
Old 12 December 2006, 08:53 PM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

Nearly piled mine 18 hrs after I bought it when an Alfa tried it on! The power amazed me!

Mind you, anyone noticed everyone tries it on? Audi TTs especially?! Even chavs in VTRs give it a go? Can't be ar5ed with 'em. Wouldn't like to show them up with their girlies in the car next to 'em!

Now I've had it a week I jusy love cruising and hearing the burble. But its nice knowing I've got no power worries when it comes to passing other cars!

Paul
Old 12 December 2006, 09:14 PM
hull sti
Scooby Regular

i find myself sat bored sum nites so ill go out in car allways venturing onto country roads sumwere sumtimes u scare urself thinking is this the limit of this car as u take bends its a my 94 sti sumtimes wen u slow down u think to urself god wat ive i just done sounds daft i kno but it seems like a drug anyone agree ? bk on streets and roads tho its just cruising for me its just not worth it thers that many speed cameras and things around now no way.
Old 12 December 2006, 09:34 PM
dazington
Scooby Regular

I just cant help the temptation when some little *** comes right up behind you and sort of eggs you on. I just slow down untill they start to pass me then I floor it so i leave them in my dust, afterwards i do get annoyed and i ask my self why i dont need to do it, but it is good fun. If the misses is with me and i start playing she digs me in the ribs and this slows me down so maybe you can get someone to dig you in the ribs because it works for me.
Old 12 December 2006, 09:36 PM
Marko2101
Scooby Regular

Think about spending 5 years in prison for knocking some one down and killing them, that WILL slow you down. had a near miss not too long ago. must have missed them by an inch. mind you they did run in the road, but i was speeding.
funny though how after all the silly fast cars ive had that the onlt 3 points i have is from driving at 40 in a 30 zone in a........ wait for it...........
Saxo 1.1!!
Old 12 December 2006, 10:22 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

I have had my Scooby 3 months and the novelty is wearing off, coupled with the fact I have got used to the power (300+Hp) and appreciate how fast it is there really is nothing to prove to anyone, occasionally I make an exeption and drive like a ****, to be honest my favorite is booting it off a roundabout when some **** in FWD car is up your ***, all you see in your mirror is them struggling to put the power down and Understeering all over the place
Then theres M3 drivers now thats another story
Contrary to common belief the M3 is not the fastest best handling car in the world
Old 12 December 2006, 10:32 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always do 30 in a 30 area just not worth the grief. I believe there are times and places that you can get the most out of your car i.e. roads that you drive all the time and know where the danger areas are. I personally push to the limits of my driving skills, not the cars limits. I believe there is the novelty factor when you 1st get a Scoob or a new mod but at the end of the day its common sense. One thing that does annoy me, how many times have you sat behind someone doing 40 in a 60 then you reach a 30 area, slow down to 30 and the car in front pulls away still doing 40! Also many times I`ve been doing 30 in a 30 and you see the driver behind you getting frustrated probably more because you`re driving a 200+ BHP Subaru! Rant over!
Old 12 December 2006, 10:36 PM
pheunos
Scooby Regular

I find that I get so much unwelcome attention from the police in the scooby, it's limits are so high and its so thirsty that I crawl around most of the time. When I drive my MX5 I'm flat out 90% of the time (except the obvious built up areas etc), but I'm still usually within the legal speed limits. Usually

Quick Reply: silly driving in scoob!!!