Sponsored by:

STi 7 PPP - Available Soon

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2001, 08:41 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I Picked up my car yesterday and while waiting I got chatting to the dealer about the new STi. I tells me that a PPP package is being developed that will take the car to 300+ BHP. Initially I thought brilliant, however I soon had the following thought wizzing round my head:

Why is this not on the car by default, we hear the reason the car is down on power is because of the stiff laws to get european approval and then a additional extra becomes available (probably at a considerable cost) to get the car back to it's orginal state.

Is this because:
1: Subaru wanted to keep the price competetive, thus reducing the amount of effort that has to be put in to get the car in the showroom.

2: Subaru saw this as a way to get some extra revenue from the enthusiasts that buy the car.

3: This power hike has to be sold as an extra, to retain the european approval.

Either way it's good news for the STi. Apparently the first batch(about 350) have already been sold with the lions share going to the dealers as Demo's. I made some enquiries about a March delivery, however one of my primary concerns is that nothing has been done to the suspension to make it suitable to British roads. I seem to remember that this point was picked out when EVO did the back to back test with the P1, RB5, UK300 and STi 7.

I suppose I'll have to wait for a test drive.

Regards
Paul
Old 28 November 2001, 08:53 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I wouldn't necessarily believe the dealer. Remember the same rumours circulated for PPP on the P1 which never materialised.

PWR on new STi is just about equal to MY00 UK turbo based upon the official kerb weight of 1470kg. Perhaps therefore the STi will need PPP more than the P1 and therefore get it?

The one thing that baffles me with the new car is the cost of the Prodrive kit £1500 seems a bit steep for a slighly modded grill front spoiler and rear wing. I'd rather put my money on the std car.

Old 28 November 2001, 08:55 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

A little bit of A, but mostly B. It's why the current PPP is an extra. A car with PPP will not pass the cold start emissions Euro test, so they sell it as an add on to get around it. Was any price given?

I think a PPP is very likely. From various rumours floating around it'd put the chances of it being released are about 80/20 in favour. I'm not sure about the 300Bhp figure but 280 is certainly obtainable, since Euro type approval is't required for add ons.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 11/28/2001 8:57:57 AM]