Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Odd 'booming' sound...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2006, 07:44 PM
Mike_Jones
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd 'booming' sound...any ideas?

Hi

I've Had my 03 WRX for a few days now and I have noticed over the past few days that a strange 'booming sound' can be heard when accelerating in 5th gear after a bit of turbo usage (it can normally be heard when accelerating above 3k rpm in 5th gear)...the sound is really hard to describe, it's almost like a thumping pulse which sounds very quiet yet the frequency hits your chest...it sounds like its coming from the front of the car althought it is difficult to tell....only mods are PPP.

I was wondering if it could be weather related as there has been a lot of moisture in the air the past few days...the car does seem a bit less rev happy, and there is a very slight backfire (almost) when reving stationary...that could be normal though as I have only had the car a couple of days....it did have an STi spoiler fitted Monday...could this be making the sound?
Old 29 November 2006, 07:53 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

sounds like your almost breaking the sound barrier!!,how fast does your car go??lol

Sorry,just had to say that to get it off my chest,i know its not nice when you've just bought a new car.

it could be the spoiler as i can't think of anything sounding like that apart from wind deflecting,is it like the noise you sometimes get when you have the windows open slightly and the wind reverberates in the car??.
Old 29 November 2006, 07:57 PM
Mike_Jones
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mark6
sounds like your almost breaking the sound barrier!!,how fast does your car go??lol

Sorry,just had to say that to get it off my chest,i know its not nice when you've just bought a new car.

it could be the spoiler as i can't think of anything sounding like that apart from wind deflecting,is it like the noise you sometimes get when you have the windows open slightly and the wind reverberates in the car??.
Lol, breaking the sound barrier

Yeah it is kind of like the noise you get when a window is slightly down and it sort of fills the car....yet sounds like it's coming from the engine / manifold area...could unburnt fuel in the system make this noise??! Like I said it normally happens after boosting it a bit...
Old 29 November 2006, 08:16 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

are you sure its not just the flat-4 engine burble noise??,as they do tend to sound like they are missing a bit.

Is the noise in sync with the rev's or speed? this might help someone explain it.

i'd just get someone familiar with scoobys to listen to it,its hard to diagnois what your describing without listening to it.