Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2000, 03:24 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That rag just gets worse - every article seems more like an advert than an actual test. This weeks says all nice things abt the new Sti scoobie, which is great. But who can trust it when it also compliments the new TVR's roof, which blocks all rearward vision. It's rubbish...

Evo seems about the best nowadays - Topgear used to be my favorite but it now seems to be losing it too...
Old 08 November 2000, 05:23 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Autocar seems to get a good thrashing on this BBS every time it says something that’s inaccurate about Subaru.

But as someone who’s involved in the print media I have to come to Autocar’s defence.

First off: it’s a weekly magazine, that is sure to have some really tough deadlines. I’d guess they write, design, plan, make-up ads and print it within five days.

That’s a tremendous amount of work for any magazine never mind a weekly one.

Evo (which is a fine magazine) and Top Gear are monthly and would have at least three weeks to put their mags together.

And they would plan the magazine’s covers three to four months in advance!

I agree that Autocar’s news pages can be off the mark sometimes but that is what happens to journalists when you are under a deadline.

You hear info which obviously the car company is not going to confirm in time for the printing of the mag so you go with it even if it’s not as accuarate as you would like.

Better to get the scoop this week than lose it to a rival.

In my opinion Autocar is a bloody good read week in, week out even if they sometimes get it wrong.
Old 08 November 2000, 05:49 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I can see your points but that doesnt really answer my criticism of the mag - they compliment obviously crap features of cars like TVRs just because they are a TVR. It is not real opinions which is what it should be. Having said that, there are some good bits, like the scoops, which I like.
Old 09 November 2000, 12:32 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Autocar magazine is inarticulate, text bereft, and prone to hyperbole at random. They make one sentence random comments about one car at one moment and then completely switch these snipets at later dates with no comment on why the change of view. But most importantly they differ greatly from EVO mag in that they do not comment on the specifics of cars handling dynamics on real roads and in multiple conditions.