Sponsored by:

Another Astra VXR owner

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2006, 12:27 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Astra VXR owner

Took the Impreza to work today, just got on the sliproad for the A19 and I notice an Astra behind me accelerating. Then he pulls alongside me and tries to bait me into a race. I'm not bothered as I don't like racing on the main road in rush hour and the engine was stone cold so I didn't bother and after about 15 seconds he gave up and went on his merry way.

Anyhoo, get to work about 20 mins later, and this berk is waiting outside for me, turns out he works in the same building as me. As I walk over to the main door, he starts gving it I beat your STI, my Astra is quicker than your rice rocket blah blah blah. I said whatever pal, the engine was cold, it was busy and not worth the risk. He then turns on me, and says why can't you Jap owners admit when you are beaten by a better car. I wasn't going to stand there and argue the point, I just said fine and left him on another planet.

Get a message via email from a mate in the building saying this guy is going round telling everyone he beat an STI in his standard VXR this morning, and as he knows I'm the only person here with one, he assumed it was me. I replied telling him my version of events, he laughed and said he knew this guy was FOS. Now I don't care what he says to to other people, I know my car is better, I don't need to brag about it. But this guy, come on, get a life.

And the best bit, he's not a snot nosed kid, he's 43 years old, married with kids. I'm 28, and I've got me head screwed on properly. Honestly, respect your elders. Not when they are as daft as this nugget

Just thought I'd share my early morning story.

Cheers

Matt
Old 21 November 2006, 12:30 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Sounds like some old trying to be the kiddy at work.
Old 21 November 2006, 12:35 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

but maybe the VXR is quicker had you thought of that?
Old 21 November 2006, 12:55 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

LOL, nope, not a cat in hells chance of that

Cheers

Matt
Old 21 November 2006, 12:55 PM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
but maybe the VXR is quicker had you thought of that?
it could well be lol but not a better all rounder
Old 21 November 2006, 01:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Next time, just reply:

"Who cares??"

Then follow it up with: "See you down the strip; pray it doesn't rain"

Ns04
Old 21 November 2006, 02:26 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by collierm
Took the Impreza to work today, just got on the sliproad for the A19 and I notice an Astra behind me accelerating. Then he pulls alongside me and tries to bait me into a race. I'm not bothered as I don't like racing on the main road in rush hour and the engine was stone cold so I didn't bother and after about 15 seconds he gave up and went on his merry way.

Anyhoo, get to work about 20 mins later, and this berk is waiting outside for me, turns out he works in the same building as me. As I walk over to the main door, he starts gving it I beat your STI, my Astra is quicker than your rice rocket blah blah blah. I said whatever pal, the engine was cold, it was busy and not worth the risk. He then turns on me, and says why can't you Jap owners admit when you are beaten by a better car. I wasn't going to stand there and argue the point, I just said fine and left him on another planet.

Get a message via email from a mate in the building saying this guy is going round telling everyone he beat an STI in his standard VXR this morning, and as he knows I'm the only person here with one, he assumed it was me. I replied telling him my version of events, he laughed and said he knew this guy was FOS. Now I don't care what he says to to other people, I know my car is better, I don't need to brag about it. But this guy, come on, get a life.

And the best bit, he's not a snot nosed kid, he's 43 years old, married with kids. I'm 28, and I've got me head screwed on properly. Honestly, respect your elders. Not when they are as daft as this nugget

Cheers

Matt
Well done mate well proud of ya. Takes alot bigger man to
assess the situation properly and bow out than planting the
right foot and hoping for the best. The guy seems like
complete dobber. Good on ya buddy.
Craig.
Old 21 November 2006, 03:05 PM
downs523
Scooby Regular

prove him wrong, race, get bets going on at ur work
Old 21 November 2006, 03:10 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Good man for not taking the bait.

Respect.

What was the fool thinking trying to bait you on a busy road.

I would've knocked his head off for being so inconsiderate to the general public.

Prat, Ok rant over
Old 21 November 2006, 03:14 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by craig79
Well done mate well proud of ya. Takes alot bigger man to
assess the situation properly and bow out than planting the
right foot and hoping for the best. The guy seems like
complete dobber. Good on ya buddy.
Craig.
100%

If he's behaving like that, imagine how he would have behaved if you had given in to race him. Irrespective of the outcome he'd obviously have something to say about it.

People like that its better to let them carry on regardless. An ex-neighour of mine was convinced his IS200 Lexus would destroy my car (his wife had even commented "I'd drive Edds car anyday but not ***, its way too powerful"). I've never even bothered to pass comment to either person.

You just have to smile at these types of people. Just think your lucky you aren't one of them
Old 21 November 2006, 03:17 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

and remind him it's a vauxhall.....with front wheel drive at that....

COME ON LETS HAVE YA!!
Old 21 November 2006, 03:51 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
and remind him it's a vauxhall.....with front wheel drive at that....

COME ON LETS HAVE YA!!
No, it a Vauxhall - Full Stop. You don't need to say any more

I actually drive a Vauxhall as a company car and it is pants, but will do 60mpg on a 70mph run though.
Old 21 November 2006, 04:16 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I would have wooped his ****.
Old 21 November 2006, 05:01 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I know my car is better, I don't need to brag about it. But this guy, come on, get a life.
That says it all really. The difference between owning a fast car and *thinking* you own a fast car, is that you don't feel the need to race everyone on the road and brag about it after.
Old 21 November 2006, 05:04 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

I think Clarkson took one of these around the Top Gear track a while ago, it was impressively quick in a line but understeer`s like mad if pushed in the bends. I think He said "If you see one of these wheel spinning around your area it is just your Neighbour trying to drive to work and not some kid in a stolen car." or something along those lines..........
Old 21 November 2006, 05:07 PM
GeoffMM
Scooby Regular

i have seen those vxr's and in my 275bhp sti8 it virtually kept up with me, is this just my lack of experience?

But yes it is a vauxhall, and i would have another scooby any day
Old 21 November 2006, 06:26 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

He don't got the burble.

End of.
Old 21 November 2006, 06:47 PM
GeoffMM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Russellg911
He don't got the burble.

End of.

Best point i have heard mentioned so far, and also the reason why i didint buy an evo
Old 21 November 2006, 07:27 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Indeed...whilst it's always nice to be the fastest, the scooby will always have that other element to enjoy when you just want to cruise along :0)
Old 21 November 2006, 08:04 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Well done for not taking the bait. I work 3 miles from home and the engine doesn't get chance to warm up fully. I always get some dick trying it on but i never rev over 3k. This no doubt gives plenty of people the chance to tell their silly little friends they 'beat an Impreza' Fu*kwits!

At the end of the day, the bellend you work in the same building as drives a Vauxhall, enough said.

I have never bought one and probably never will.
Old 21 November 2006, 08:14 PM
Hungrytang
Scooby Regular

Whilst I was running in my new WRX and being very strict about the 4k limit I got passed a swift Gti full of young lads.

Heard later on the grape vine that he was telling everyone how he smashed my scooby all over the place.

A fair few years ago I owned a swift gti and for what they are there quite quick but there no match for an impreza.
Old 21 November 2006, 08:44 PM
D00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Well done for not taking the bait. I work 3 miles from home and the engine doesn't get chance to warm up fully. I always get some dick trying it on but i never rev over 3k. This no doubt gives plenty of people the chance to tell their silly little friends they 'beat an Impreza' Fu*kwits!

At the end of the day, the bellend you work in the same building as drives a Vauxhall, enough said.

I have never bought one and probably never will.
I hate Vauxass so much! And the ppl who drive them are so zzzzzzz!
Old 21 November 2006, 08:58 PM
m3 eater
Scooby Regular

the di-- ed did he really think he would beat the impreza . i have only one word for the muppet NEVER .
Old 21 November 2006, 09:04 PM
downs523
Scooby Regular

what bhp are these vxrs 225?
Old 21 November 2006, 09:13 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

"I hate people who think their car is quick".

"My scooby is much quicker"

Anyone else spot the irony?

No criticism of original poster who "rose above it" and displayed more sense.

If we're comparing, in a straight line, standard 2L STi at ~265bhp with 4wd transmission losses and ~100kg extra weight will not be significantly different to VXR at ~240bhp, lighter, much better torque spread and lower transmission losses. Powering out of wet corners, the STi will be much quicker.

Put either against a genuinely quick car (big power scoobs/evos included), either would lose fairly miserably, with the owner thinking "damn subarus, think they're quick, ha ha".
Old 21 November 2006, 09:22 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyspanners
I think Clarkson took one of these around the Top Gear track a while ago, it was impressively quick in a line but understeer`s like mad if pushed in the bends. I think He said "If you see one of these wheel spinning around your area it is just your Neighbour trying to drive to work and not some kid in a stolen car." or something along those lines..........
Unusual that, as Clarkson is normally so fair and balanced about Vauxhalls.

Look at the lap times in EVO, the VXR is the 3rd quickest hot hatch, .05 seconds behind the Clio 182 cup, and half a second off the 3.2L 4wd Golf R32; that puts it ahead of Megane trophy, 130i M sport, Cupra R, Focus ST, Cooper S etc. Perhaps the chronic understeer and complete inability to handle is a little bit overplayed. Admittedly, compare it to a decent Evo, or the current STi, it's rather a lot slower, and lap times alone don't make it a decent drive. However, it's a hot hatch, and as hot hatches go, it's one of the fastest.
Old 21 November 2006, 09:31 PM
Martin WRX22
Scooby Regular

Cheers

Matt
Never mind all this PC bollocks, "well done for not rising to the bait".

Next time you see he & he`s up for it, see him off big style.

If he does`nt bother trying to race you but starts to give you **** the best thing to do is butt him on the bridge of the nose. Just make sure there`s no witness`s about
Old 21 November 2006, 09:36 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Its still a Vauxhall no matter how quick it is. Give me the Golf or Focus any day over the Astra.
Good job i'm more than happy with my STI PPP

Originally Posted by hades
Unusual that, as Clarkson is normally so fair and balanced
about Vauxhalls.

Look at the lap times in EVO, the VXR is the 3rd quickest hot hatch, .05 seconds behind the Clio 182 cup, and half a second off the 3.2L 4wd Golf R32; that puts it ahead of Megane trophy, 130i M sport, Cupra R, Focus ST, Cooper S etc. Perhaps the chronic understeer and complete inability to handle is a little bit overplayed. Admittedly, compare it to a decent Evo, or the current STi, it's rather a lot slower, and lap times alone don't make it a decent drive. However, it's a hot hatch, and as hot hatches go, it's one of the fastest.
Old 21 November 2006, 09:45 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Its still a Vauxhall no matter how quick it is. Give me the Golf or Focus any day over the Astra.
yeah, you got me there. I mean, driving a Vauxhall, when you could drive a Ford . . . . The difference being, exactly?

Apart from a few suburban housewives with Golfs, no-one is gonig to buy any of these for the brand image. So if you're in the market for a hot hatch, drive them and then select which is best, instead of trying to sound like Clarkson.

Whilst I like scoobs and drive one (hence I'm here), plenty of people would say "it's still a Subaru, no matter how quick it is"; we ain't driving around in premium brand cars ourselves, just cars that are quick A-B for the cash.
Old 21 November 2006, 09:53 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I am sorry if saying i would rather have an R32 or a RS Focus over a Astra makes me sound like Clarkson. I have never liked Vauxhalls and can't see me ever getting one. That is my choice .

Originally Posted by hades
yeah, you got me there. I mean, driving a Vauxhall, when you could drive a Ford . . . . The difference being, exactly?

Apart from a few suburban housewives with Golfs, no-one is gonig to buy any of these for the brand image. So if you're in the market for a hot hatch, drive them and then select which is best, instead of trying to sound like Clarkson.

Whilst I like scoobs and drive one (hence I'm here), plenty of people would say "it's still a Subaru, no matter how quick it is"; we ain't driving around in premium brand cars ourselves, just cars that are quick A-B for the cash.

Quick Reply: Another Astra VXR owner