Sponsored by:

Paradise weekend in the UK (4/5th Nov)

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2000, 09:07 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Teehee, still trying to get into working mode after a real fabulous trip.

The fireworks were a nice touch in welcoming us mainland guys, much appreciated

Day 1: Cheltenham. Powerstation was the reason we were there, and our goal was to have the already infamous bump-steer mod done to our cars. My wife was interested at first because she slightly misunderstood and thought that bum-removal would be cool *

Big thanks to the Rich's and Dirk for the work done and for their great welcome. Dirk is probably still recovering from all our questions but he answered each and every one of them, and with authority I might add.

On the rolling road we got pretty good numbers (personally I saw a 265 BHP and 252 lbs/ft, not bad for my slightly modded MY99 ), but those are numbers for bar talks: it was the driving afterwards that was most rewarding.

The question has been asked before: are there no downsides to this mod ? The only one I can think of is a logical one: because the steering gets so much more accurate, it also gets more involving. The car goes where you point it, and very quickly indeed. If you love driving, you'll love this mod (I know I do ), but if you prefer to cruise on the highway, one hand on the steering wheel, one outside waving at the girlies, this mod might not be for you, but then you would probably not be driving a Sub. It took me 2 days to process all these new data inputs from the steering wheel (and my bum), and the more I drive it, the more I appreciate just how it all improved.

Anway, thanks again guys, and I guess you might see some other Dutch & Belgian scoobs coming your way ! And I might give a call about that Motec thingy

Day 2: MIRA. When we got near the premises, we saw a funny bloke pressure washing a blue STi V RA. I immediately knew this would be Simon

What can I say without making this all sound like a bad commercial ? This course is just fabulous. OK, Don is ugly and wears funny hats , but the things I learned yesterday ... It's not just the powerslides, it's all the little pointers they give you, the little bits of advice. All done in a very humerous way, but spot on nevertheless. It gives a new meaning to the word "coaching".

The downside to this course: a big one ! You'll want to go back (and again and again ...).

SDB was there for the morning, and gave us all a spin. Boy, can that man drive an Impreza. Major giggling time guaranteed. Thanks for joining us m8 ! Hope you recovered from your passenger ride in my car

Don & Colin, you have some new fans ! I normally am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to courses (what can you learn in one day, uh ?), but you have improved my driving beyond what I thought was possible (and not only on tracks or wet roads). We definitely will be back (Arnold voice).

To sum it all up: petrolhead paradise !

Theo

* [just kidding honey ]
Old 06 November 2000, 09:34 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Theo...

Slightly modded!

It was great to see you all and I'm glad you had such a good time and love the powerstation set-up so much.

Cheers

Simon

PS. Your wife is a FOX!!!
Old 06 November 2000, 11:22 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>SDB was there for the morning, and gave us all a spin. Boy, can that man drive an Impreza<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MMmmmmm... I'll reserve judgement on that one

Richard
Old 06 November 2000, 11:38 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Richard, I wasn't saying that the way he drives is necessarily good for an Impreza (say, a 22B ), just that he can make you see things from, um, a different angle

Old 06 November 2000, 01:09 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

That's it!!!

That's the last time I drive your 22B sideways!!!!!!

er.. 'ang on...

DAMN!

Old 06 November 2000, 01:18 PM
JohnS

And here was me thinking this was a post about the Tour D'Ecosse, which also took part this weekend

Fantastic company, cars, scenery and weather (on the Sunday it couldn't have been better).

Roll on next year
Old 06 November 2000, 02:35 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Theo, Like you I got the bumb steering adjusted, I was on Power Station on Thursday and returned to France Saturday. I'm sorry I missed MIRA. I fully agree with you, it's like getting a new car. On the first roundabout I was using to must steer and had to back off a bit. Steering is realy great and no understeer, but take care of the bum when you lift off.
I got the anti lift kit added at the same time, this gave me 1 degree more caster and a nice stable car when going fast. below 100 km/t ( 60 miles) it has some tendency to follow the angle of the road,( going left in UK and right in France)but around 100 this disapear.
In general I'm very satisfied about the adjustment and PowerStation are just nice people.
Next Sunday I will take it to a track day in North France, to really know my new car.

Lars

Trending Topics

Old 07 November 2000, 05:34 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Hey Lars, you must be the guy from Paris that the guys from Powerstation were talking about ! They are building up a nice international customer base.

About the lift off oversteer: that's why we did the Mira course: to see/feel exactly how the Scoob behaves when going over the limit. And I can assure you that it still is pretty safe (I also have the ALK).

And yup, they are nice blokes, aren't they.

Have fun with the bump steer mod ! (but be carefull still )
Old 07 November 2000, 06:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Glad you had a great trip over Theo.

Simon thinks you need to spend more time stood in a pot of compost, you just aint tall enough. LOL

Shame i didnt get down to see you at MIRA. Don and Colin are the business, best money i ever spent on my car/self doing the "Wetter the better" at MIRA.
Old 07 November 2000, 06:55 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

John, I stand in ankle-deep **** all the time in my daytime job, but it doesn't really help (although it's supposed to make you grow "as a person"...)

Shame on you for not joining us ! We had so much fun, you really missed out. You and Harj are both tossers

We will be back though, so you might get a second chance if I am in the right mood

Fully agree with the money well spent part !

Theo [wondering what you can do with a Westie on those circles...]
Old 07 November 2000, 11:52 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

For me Theo used the good words; for all of us it was a very impressive weekend with a strong feeling of "quality" you won't find everyday & everywhere!

Dirk, Rich (2x), Colin, Don & Simon thanks
We will meet again!!!

Geert