Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone interested in going to the Isle of Man?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2001, 09:41 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Everyone talks about going to Germany to go tanking down the autobahns, no speed limits 'n all that, but why does no-one go to the Isle of Man? Outside built up areas there are no speed limits and I am reliably informed that built up areas are few and far between. I'm also informed that the majority of the TT route is limitless too. So I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in taking a road trip to the IOM for some "progressive" driving fun. 100% legal, but as fast as you like where limits allow.
I was thinking in early spring when the roads would be dry, but the air still cold enough to make the motors fly.
I would post this in the events section but I want to get a general idea of the amount of interest it has before I do.
anyone up for it?
astraboy.
Old 22 November 2001, 09:45 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

I'll be there Astraboy!!!!

That sounds good.... The Isle of Wight was great! We should do the same and make a weekend of it!

Mark Kahn will be up for it I'm sure!
Old 22 November 2001, 10:54 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Go over for Mad Sunday on TT week. They turn the course into a one way free for all - no-one coming the other way, and the course is marshalled, so no pedestrians in the country. They keep a fleet of ambulances on standby for all who get carried away, and they have a special compound where you can view all the cars and bikes that get wasted. Sort of like a free unlimited run trackday
Old 22 November 2001, 01:12 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Go every year for the TT. Not sure about "special compound where you can view all the cars and bikes that get wasted"???

There has been recent talk of speed cameras, points counting on the mainland, etc. Each time I go there are more and more speed limits in place.

Top place though!

Cheers,

Ian.

[Edited by Ian E - 11/22/2001 1:13:59 PM]
Old 22 November 2001, 02:02 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

sounds fun, you can go fast on bikes but not so sure in cars...
Old 22 November 2001, 02:38 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Astraboy,

Oi - NO!! The Isle is my private playground

Fast Bloke, the TT is the worst time to go (if you want to ride/drive) as there are thousands of bikes doing just the same thing. Mad Sunday is great in theory (they make the Mountain one way) but you've got ALL the bikes on the Island blatting round this at the same time - the upshot is you can't actually go that fast.

Best time to go is in July in between one of the many motorsport events that are held on the Island. It absolutely ROCKS!!!

The Mountatin is fab in a car or on a bike and is basically empty during the working day and in the evenings - the weekend is a different story when all the local bikers come out to play (some of them are mental!!!!!!!) so don't go then!!

Did I mention there are no speed limits in most parts of the Island (and in particular, on the Mountain)????

I'll be there this coming Summer - I'm trying to arrange a bike trip and a car trip, for a few friends......

Matt