Sponsored by:

Duff Windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2006, 12:48 AM
Nigel O
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duff Windscreen?

I've just had the front windscreen replaced on my Nov '98 Imprezza Turbo by National Windscreens. The windscreen went in well enough and appears to be a good fit.

The problem is that the spring at the joint of the passenger side wiper arm scrapes on the glass. There was no problem with the original windscreen and the wiper arm is completely standard and undamaged. The only explanation is that the windscreen has not been manufactured to the correct profile. The windscreen is made by Pilkington and National Windscreens have promised to replace it. However, I don't want the the windscreen replaced with another one that is not right, so before allowing them to do the work I would appreciate knowing if anyone else has had a similar experience or perhaps this a "one off".

The wiper arm has been fitted on the spindle at a slight angle to temporarily stop it scraping. This is a real bodge and not a satisfactory long term solution, particularly as the arm is wiggly on the spindle although the nut is reasonably tight.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Old 27 October 2006, 06:02 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Have you tried bending the flat bit of the wiper arm a little.

dipster
Old 27 October 2006, 07:25 AM
Nigel O
Scooby Newbie

The bottom section of the wiper arm is scraping, therefore bending has no effect. This section is completely solid and straight.
Old 27 October 2006, 08:00 AM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Never seen anything like this TBH, the profile of the screen would have to be a way out for the wiper the scrape...Does the scuttle panel fit ok to the base of the screen?

Dave (Autoglass Fitter)
Old 27 October 2006, 08:51 AM
Nigel O
Scooby Newbie

Scuttle panel fits well. In fact all trim is back where it should be. National Windscreen fitter has returned and is completely baffled.

The only other thought I had was that possibly it is a screen from a later model? Same overall size but different profile.
Old 27 October 2006, 11:04 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nigel O
I've just had the front windscreen replaced on my Nov '98 Imprezza Turbo by National Windscreens. The windscreen went in well enough and appears to be a good fit.

The problem is that the spring at the joint of the passenger side wiper arm scrapes on the glass. There was no problem with the original windscreen and the wiper arm is completely standard and undamaged. The only explanation is that the windscreen has not been manufactured to the correct profile. The windscreen is made by Pilkington and National Windscreens have promised to replace it. However, I don't want the the windscreen replaced with another one that is not right, so before allowing them to do the work I would appreciate knowing if anyone else has had a similar experience or perhaps this a "one off".

The wiper arm has been fitted on the spindle at a slight angle to temporarily stop it scraping. This is a real bodge and not a satisfactory long term solution, particularly as the arm is wiggly on the spindle although the nut is reasonably tight.

Any advice would be most welcome.

I had the same problem on a hire car! Not with a replacement screen though. I hired a car (Vectra) and the spring scraped on the glass and made an terrible sound - like a fox being eaten alive, a real scccreeeaachhhhh. The changed car for me - perhaps ypu should do the same!