MY06 PPP opinions

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2006, 08:50 AM
johnnyg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 PPP opinions

Morning All....

I'm thinking about fitting PPP to my 06 WRX....I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has fitted PPP to their 06 WRX after having driven it for a while without PPP.

What difference does it make to the car ?...Is it very noticeable ?...do you think it was worth it ?

PS....got to be PPP to maintain warranty.

Any comments much appreciated.
Old 25 October 2006, 09:53 AM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Dont tend to get much responce on the MY06, as not many have done anything to them yet. I'm in the same position, not knowing whether to get it ppp'd at 1000k service.
Old 25 October 2006, 10:24 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

I have an 06 Sti and had the PPP done at 1k service.

I did notice a big difference in both performance and sound. If you want more power and need to keep warranty then PPP is the only way to go.

Why dont you try to find a PPP'd 06 WRX at a dealer and ask for a test drive.
Old 25 October 2006, 10:36 AM
johnnyg
Scooby Regular

Good Idea....Hadn't thought of that.
Old 25 October 2006, 10:57 AM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil W
I have an 06 Sti and had the PPP done at 1k service.

I did notice a big difference in both performance and sound. If you want more power and need to keep warranty then PPP is the only way to go.

Why dont you try to find a PPP'd 06 WRX at a dealer and ask for a test drive.
Oh no, that just tempts me even more!
Old 25 October 2006, 11:00 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

ditto Neil W
Old 25 October 2006, 12:33 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

Good idea.

I am really tempted to PPP my 06 WRX wagon if only for some burble.

Some first hand expiriences would be helpful.

Rumour has it that there is even an mpg advantage off boost if you are delicate with the extra low end torque. Well thats my excuse to the Missus.

I wonder when the PPP discounts start......?
Old 25 October 2006, 12:41 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I was told my the mechanic at my dealership that there seems to be a problem with the 06 PPP for the STi, with the ECU cutting the power and causing the car to stall when driving off. Not sure if it also applies to the WRX PPP, but he advised me to hold off having the STi PPP for a while.

Don't want to start a panic, but it might be worth asking your dealership if they are aware of any problems, or if Mike Wood is able to shead any light.

I pick up an STi Spec d soon, but will wait before deciding on the PPP.

FWIW I've had the PPP on a MY00 classic, 03STi and 05WRX and its made a big difference to driveability of every car (as well as the sound ). No doubt the 06 version will do the same, and as mentioned, the only way to go to retain the warranty.

Gareth

PS Have noticed an increase in mpg if driving the car sensibly, thrash it and the fuel gauge moves in relation the Rev needle, usually in the opposite direction

Last edited by GarethE; 25 October 2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 25 October 2006, 01:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
1000k service.
Should be well run in by then. 1,000,000 miles
Old 25 October 2006, 01:51 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Gareth

If it's the car I believe you are talking about, the customer is reporting poor throttle response. This will be because the Dealer is supposed to scale the throttle when he fits a new ECU (as per the fitting instructions for ANY new ECU) and the symptoms point this having not been done. When the ECU knows where the throttle is, the response is better than the standard car which does feel like it wants to stall at times when pulling away.

As far as I'm aware, no other customers have reported any problems at all.

Mike
Old 25 October 2006, 02:31 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Should be well run in by then. 1,000,000 miles
oooops!,
Old 25 October 2006, 03:36 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Gareth

If it's the car I believe you are talking about, the customer is reporting poor throttle response. This will be because the Dealer is supposed to scale the throttle when he fits a new ECU (as per the fitting instructions for ANY new ECU) and the symptoms point this having not been done. When the ECU knows where the throttle is, the response is better than the standard car which does feel like it wants to stall at times when pulling away.

Mike
another case of poor pdi/installation by the dealer network then

anyone thinking of going PPP - it isnt just about peak figures, these totally transform the way the car drives and makes it easier to drive and more economical too as the power delivery means that you do not need to change gear as often.

even though a wrx PPP's figures are on the face of it similar to the std STi - the WRX will be more driveable.

if you are worried about the warranty - go for it.

fyi - changing the backbox and resonator section for an aftermarket one will not invalidate your warranty - just the warranty on the exhaust. Cheap mod for a little more power and a better sound.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:41 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Mike - as I said I didn't want to cause a panic, glad you cleared that up.

Will still get mine done when funds allow

Cheers

Gareth

Last edited by GarethE; 25 October 2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:59 PM
C_B_B
Scooby Regular

I've driven the MY06 STI without a PPP on it and to be honest it was dire at anything under 2500 rpm.

A PPP is always a good thing!
Old 25 October 2006, 06:54 PM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a MY06 WRX PPP and i`m delighted with it. I had it fitted at the 1K service and have since covered a further 6K miles in it with a permanent grin on my face. The first thing you notice is that the famous burble of the flat four returns with the Prodrive exhaust. Lovely noise. And the torque of the 2.5 litre motor is simply awesome after PPP , You don`t have to change gear very much on a motorway cruise theres bags of power without it and you don`t need to rev the **** off it like with a 2 litre . The 266BHP and 310 lb Ft are very noticeable from standard , it pulls like a train in all gears , and makes the car much better than a standard STi as an allround package with the 5 speed box. I drove both before making my mind up and the WRX PPP is far superior in many respects IMHO thats why I bought it. As for MPG who cares ? , I don`t take much notice of it , just fill it up when its half full. Overall its £1700 well spent for a superb everyday performance car with full warranty retained as has been already mentioned .
Old 25 October 2006, 07:14 PM
johnnyg
Scooby Regular

Thanks Captain...

That's what I wanted to hear....

I'm a bit concerned that none of my 3 local dealers ( Notts ) have ever fitted PPP to a 2.5L.....they are not offering any sort of discount either, but that's to be expected.

By the way, if you want to convince the missus that PPP is a good buy, try this arguement.

Assuming you do 12000 miles per annum, & fuel is £4.50 per gallon, & you are getting 20mpg, your annual fuel cost is £2700.

If PPP gives an improvement to say 23mpg then your annual cost is £2344..saving you £356 per annum.....in five years you will have saved £1780...and yippee it's paid for itself !!!

Cheers....
Old 25 October 2006, 07:20 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Not sure its exactly the same but i drove a 06 plate WRX and then a 53 plate WRX PPP back to back when i was trying to decide which car to buy. There is no comparison, i found the standard car very tame and quiet but the car with the PPP ftted was a totally different beast. Or maybe its the added noise which makes it feel so different. I went for the car with PPP and to be honnest i dont think i would buy a WRX that did not have it fitted.
Old 01 November 2006, 09:12 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Gareth

Mike
Mike,

Scaling the throttle - did this also apply to the MY05 STI's?

What does it involve, and how would you know if it had been done?

Thanks,

Shaun
Old 01 November 2006, 09:19 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Shaun

It's part of the PDI process for a new car and we also have the process as part of the fitting instruction for the PPP. Most cars don't need it doing but we've found on some troublesome cars that they are not showing full throttle (typically 92% max) which can lead to poor running as it's not looking at the right points in the ECU look-up tables. Could apply just as easily to a std car though.

Mike
Old 01 November 2006, 10:18 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Dealer left my 03STi PPP at 91%, ran OK but was better after correction. This dealer also failed to fit the uprated fuel pump (charged me £178 for it) and failed to do correct alignment after fitting Prodrive springs. Dealer wont reply to my letters about a refund so I'm taking them to small claims court. I think it troubling that carefully thought out kits are being given a questionable reputation by couldn't give a damn dealers.
Old 01 November 2006, 10:35 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Donalds in Peterborough left my alignment all over the place after fitting Prodrive springs. A couple of wheel had postive camber, one toe in one toe out, rear was a bag of nails and handled like a pig.

TSL soon fixed it - I am sure people wish that they could deal direct with Prodrive for this stuff rather than through incompetent PDI departments.
Old 01 November 2006, 10:49 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for the explanation Mike.

How can you tell though if its been aligned correctly.
I do have the PPP fitted to my MY05 STI.

Shaun
Old 01 November 2006, 10:56 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Most obvious alignment screw up is in front wheel camber. If you park on a level surface and put a spirit level vertically against each front wheel the top of the wheel should lean in about 8-10 mm if the Prodrive recommended 1 deg 15 min neg is set correctly. If wheel looks near vertical then this hasn't been done. I only recommend this as a quick and dirty check and NOT for resetting anything.

PS TSL fixed mine as well after dealer screw up. My beef is that Prodrive springs come as a package price which includes Prodrive alignment settings, as this wasn't done I've been ripped off and it cost me £125 to put right.

Last edited by D1CCY; 01 November 2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01 November 2006, 11:01 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

dynamix

We used to fit all the performance packages ourselves which gave huge problems with the logistics of getting cars to us from a distance away. The most we ever managed in a year was 200 and it was very labour intensive and sometimes frustrating for the customer as we struggled to cope.

In the last four years we've supplied over 5000 Performance Packages in the UK alone and there are many more happy customers than before but I do appreciate the concerns that some people have over the level of service offered by the Dealers sometimes. To be honest though, we either provide fitting instructions or the parts are fitted using the same method as the standard parts so the Dealers do have all the information to do the job properly. You can lead a horse to water.......

Regards

Mike
Old 01 November 2006, 11:07 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I would strongly recommend 4 wheel alignment of any scooby whether straight off the forecourt or otherwise - best £ per buck mod you will do IMO.

Mike - I didnt realise that you used to do them yourselves... sounds like it would be a problem logistically. Does the dealer get any training/incentives/penalties on the importance of this stuff?
Old 01 November 2006, 12:26 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

According to the dealer I use, they get 2 hours labour to fit the PPP.

Don't think they get any training on PPP, or penalties for that matter.

I could be wrong though.

Anyway, as I said earlier, how can you check if the throttle is scaled correctly. There is a post about an alignment screw and using spirit levels on the wheels whatever that's about.

Shaun
Old 01 November 2006, 12:54 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Shaun

The dealers don't get any specific training on the PPP but they are trained to fit the standard parts and the PPP components are a direct replacement and fit in exactly the same way. If there are any differences (trimming the heatshield on a 2.0 STi as an example) they have fitting instructions on how to do it.

The only way to be sure is check with the Subaru Select Monitor or some other device which reads what the ECU is doing.

Mike
Old 01 November 2006, 01:15 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much Mike.

Shaun
Old 01 November 2006, 03:50 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

I guess the previous model PPP kits will be cheaper now as dealers aim to shift stock?

310ft of torque, should pull the Caravan nicely
Old 01 November 2006, 04:15 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C_B_B
I've driven the MY06 STI without a PPP on it and to be honest it was dire at anything under 2500 rpm.

A PPP is always a good thing!
I thought it was more like 3500

Quick Reply: MY06 PPP opinions