Sponsored by:

Dirty tricks ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2006, 03:50 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty tricks ?

I just took my imported WRX for an MOT in reparation for it's SVA test. It failed with tyre bulges to one front wheel.

I checked the car over before I took it there and noticed nothing. There were no vibrations of any kind when I drove it to the testing station, and it's only done a few km since I was driving it in Japan earlier this year.

How often do tyres develop bulges without it being noticable at all to the driver? Usually it's the vibration which is felt first.

Either I'm unlucky, or the car was abused during transit (though no wheel damage) or the garage testing it has seen a nice little opportunity to sting me for a couple of new tyres by somehow damaging my tyre ? Is the latter possible? They are 215/40ZR17 Bridgestones and I've only had them on the car 12 months. The MOT place offers discounted MOT's, no doubt so they can make money on repairs. Temptations to create faults perhaps?

Am I being paranoid?
Old 24 October 2006, 04:42 PM
JohnS

Perhaps the car was sitting stationary for an extended period of time when the tyre pressure was low on one of the fronts ?

I noticed with my Bridgestone RE-070s (stiff sidewalls), that if I left the car for a week or two, I'd get a vibration/noise for the first half mile or so, and then it disappeared.

John
Old 24 October 2006, 05:16 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

That's the thing, I didn't feel anything through the steering. I've just driven it back from the MOT test centre and it's pulling slightly to the right, the side which now has the bulging tyre. I'm going to take pressure readings because it wasn't doing that when I drove it there.