Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who forced Schumacher to retire?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2006, 07:54 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who forced Schumacher to retire?

Nevermind Motorsports forum, this is relevant here.
Why? judging by today's performance.
Old 22 October 2006, 07:58 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Nevermind Motorsports forum, this is relevant here.
Why? judging by today's performance.
What an awsome drive, im sure it was his own desicion, wanted to devote more time to his family.
Old 22 October 2006, 08:22 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Michael's presentation by Pele shunned by Kimi, he told Martin Brundle he'd been for a sh##, what a complete to##er

Kimi's problem is simple, when he drives for Ferrari he has a lot to prove....

Excellent race & a great effort by Michael.....
Old 22 October 2006, 08:26 PM
sparky d
Scooby Regular

Location: irchester / northants , can also be found at babs.forumotion.com

performence of the season a sad loss for the sport IMO
Old 22 October 2006, 08:39 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

A superb drive by Schuey.

Kimi,what a ****, saying that on TV. He is a miserable sh*t.
Old 22 October 2006, 08:42 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

performance of the season???????????????

i saw most of the other drivers pull over for schuey to go through!!!!! he even waved to rubens to say thanks!!!

it was a very good drive but not performance of the season!
Old 22 October 2006, 09:04 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I cannot believe his determination, lets face it, most would have given up. enjoy retirement( and on your pension you should!), you'll be missed.
Old 22 October 2006, 09:10 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

The end of a genuine era. Love him or loathe him the guy is going to leave a void which in this sport will be hard to fill.
Old 22 October 2006, 09:16 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
The end of a genuine era. Love him or loathe him the guy is going to leave a void which in this sport will be hard to fill.
got to agree - brundle had it right when he called him gifted but flawed. They should have got him up on the podium after the champaign had finished.
Old 22 October 2006, 10:06 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Alonso has some big boots to fill.... Schumy was (is) in the same league as Prost, Senna and Villeneuve (senior).
Old 22 October 2006, 10:12 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RedScoob
Alonso has some big boots to fill.... Schumy was (is) in the same league as Prost, Senna and Villeneuve (senior).
nah....Senna is the best
Old 22 October 2006, 10:30 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I agree there too. Michael Schmacher was part of the atrraction of F1.

A loss to the sport. Would be nice to think he'd come back after having found life without F1 boring.
Old 22 October 2006, 10:43 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Will never be a Senna that Guy had *****.
Old 22 October 2006, 10:49 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatmanscooby
Will never be a Senna that Guy had *****.
agreed,

the only guy i saw give senna a good run was Mansell, when they raced, it was 110% and neither gave any quarter.

Mart
Old 22 October 2006, 11:19 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
agreed,

the only guy i saw give senna a good run was Mansell, when they raced, it was 110% and neither gave any quarter.

Mart
did you never see Senna race Prost? Even when in the same team the 2 were the bitterest of rivals.....
Old 23 October 2006, 09:25 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Schum is a very very talented natural driver - very precise and his "flaw" is he wants to win all of the time - hence some of he dubious tatics he has pulled.
I'm not the best of Schum fans but I do admire his talent and his abilty to drive, - think that in F1 he will be missed.

Richard
Old 23 October 2006, 09:28 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

whoops, have i missed something ?
Old 23 October 2006, 09:30 AM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

Schumacher was a multiple time proven cheat, who on the first occasion he was forced to race with an equal number one driver...... quit.

Good riddance, perhaps (though HUGELY unlikely) we can get back to some actual sport in F1 now.
Old 23 October 2006, 09:37 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Heads up - there's a program on ITV about his career tonight

I'm not his greatest fan but I admire the guy's talent, he will be missed
Old 23 October 2006, 10:46 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbond007
Michael's presentation by Pele shunned by Kimi, he told Martin Brundle he'd been for a sh##, what a complete to##er

Kimi's problem is simple, when he drives for Ferrari he has a lot to prove....

Excellent race & a great effort by Michael.....
he did seem very misserbale \about it, and when he said he'd been for s@@t i was wetting myself larfing.

lets not loose track folks, hes not there for his enjoyment (although he prob does) but he's there to drive and win races for maclaren, how he prepares himself is his business, besides the weight he lost prob helped out as well.
Old 23 October 2006, 10:48 AM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Forced to retire? Yea, right. Even if Ferrari decided they wanted him out the drivers seat, you could bet Renault, Toyota or maybe even McLaren would pick up his services.

He's already re-written the record books, what else has he got to prove? He bows out of the sport knowing that overall, no-one is a match for him. Some, like Alonso, are close but not quite his level of talent.

Sure, he's made some stupid mistakes and made some daft judgements, but no-one can deny the fact he's a legend and F1 will miss him.
Old 23 October 2006, 10:54 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

he has commented that he just wants to not have to worry about gettting himself prepped over the winter for next season, its not as though he needs the money,,, pmsl

30mill minimum every year for the past 7 years
Old 23 October 2006, 11:38 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

IMO the greatest F1 driver ever!
Old 23 October 2006, 12:23 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
agreed,

Mart
The day's of Senna/Mansell & their driving style have gone forever, not just from out & out racing drivers, but also from strict rules being applied by the governing bodies.

Senna would never have got away with his style of driving in today's Gp's, even though Michael did at time push the limits, he never put anyone in danger.

Senna was a master of his sport during his career and will alway's be remembered.

Michael however is/was also a master, the type of driver who has proved his own & Ferrari's ability, an ability & benchmark everyone will strive for & look up to.

In my view I think he'll be back in a seat somewhere, hopefully that seat will be once again in F1, where or if ever this happens he will continue to dominate the sport involved.
Old 23 October 2006, 12:29 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Certainly the best F1 driver in living memory.

I feel embarrassed to say that 5 yrs or so I did not want Schuey to win because he seemed to win almost every race !

With hindsight, a legend in his own lifetime : we'll be able to tell our kids about the Schuey era and of his natural talent, his competitive (sometimes overly competitive) edge, his decision making and his astounding ability to give feedback on the vehicle he was driving to his pitcrew.

I promise you the absence of the "Regenmeister" will make the heart grow fonder !

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 24 October 2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 23 October 2006, 12:30 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

PS Schuey for Nascar Champion !!
Old 23 October 2006, 01:11 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B9GLY
performance of the season???????????????

i saw most of the other drivers pull over for schuey to go through!!!!! he even waved to rubens to say thanks!!!

it was a very good drive but not performance of the season!
Dont think Raikkonnen (SP?) pulled over for him - lets face it that passing move showed Schumacher's skill and determination in one move - he had nothing to gain from that pass, he couldnt win the constructors the race or the drivers championship but he still went for it !!
Old 23 October 2006, 01:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oobster
Forced to retire? Yea, right. Even if Ferrari decided they wanted him out the drivers seat, you could bet Renault, Toyota or maybe even McLaren would pick up his services.

He's already re-written the record books, what else has he got to prove? He bows out of the sport knowing that overall, no-one is a match for him. Some, like Alonso, are close but not quite his level of talent.

Sure, he's made some stupid mistakes and made some daft judgements, but no-one can deny the fact he's a legend and F1 will miss him.
I think it's a fair bet to say that Ferrari HAVE forced Schuey to retire. They want to keep Massa as he is becoming a very good and quick driver. They don't want to lose him. They've been after Kimi for years, and have now gained his services.
Schuey has at least 1 or 2 seasons of competitive driving left in him, maybe more. Ferrari's decision would have been based on the future, rather than the present. How would they feel if they'd re-signed Schuey, only for him to get fed-up halfway through next year? They'd have let Massa go, and been stuck to sign a competitive driver.
I'm not to sure if Schuey really wanted to be outshone by Kimi either. Kimi would have signed on the condition he was equal No1, while Massa has been happy supporting Schuey.
Ferrari have said they will announce Schuey role within Ferrari at a later date, which tells me they are still paying him, probably solely so he won't sign for another team.

BMW were wanting to sign him. There was an article in F1 magazine in which they said Schuey could make $1B in one year with BMW.
Plus I think Schuey regards Ferrari as his Family, and if he is to have a role within F1 he'd want it to be with Ferrari.

I've been a Schuey fan from day 1, and would love to have seen him race for another couple of years. After all, if it wasn't for Schuey, who would have challenged Alonso this season? No one else was anywhere near. Would have been a one sided season.
Old 23 October 2006, 02:05 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong I think Schumacher is a great driver and probably the best in the wet,(flame suit on) but I'm kind of glad hes retiring, I'm getting sick of all this greatest ever driver rubbish you always hear about him.
I don't think you can compare fairly his performance to the older generations as years ago the teams were more even, the only reason he won so many championships is that he is one of the best drivers in the world driving the best car for the best team.
I think I would have had more respect for the guy if he managed to get the same or similar results for one of the other teams, he did really well with Benetton for example.
Sadly I think F1 is like rallying now, you cant really call it racing as most over taking is to get past back markers and then they just get out the way.
I used to love watching F1 as a kid when you had people like Senna,mansell and Prost battling it out (and I'm shore they had to use skill to get past back markers rather than rely on flags) over the last decade or so it just seems to be about how far behind every one is from Maclaren, Williams or Ferrari.
Like I said no disrespect to Schuey as he possibly is the best driver ever, just a shame we wont ever know for shore as hes usually had at least the most reliable car if not the best during most of his Career.

Sorry that went on a bit(flame suit still on )
Old 23 October 2006, 02:20 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

McLaren didn't win a race in 2006, first time that has happened for 10 years or something, why has FA gone there ?

Anyway, MS is the greatest F1 driver in history. His race yesterday just summed him up. His desire to win is as fierce as it ever was.

Anyone who has raced for that long, won 7 world titles, come second in (I dunno 4 or 5 more?) and has won so many grand prix is bound to have had one or 2 "moments" that get remembered & picked on as being negative.

I was wondering yesterday, what if Button took Alonso out on an overtake, would Massa forefit his home GP win on the last lap to let MS past to win the world title ? It would have been so blatent and not the way MS would have wanted to have his last race I am sure, but an interesting "what if"

R.

Quick Reply: Who forced Schumacher to retire?