Old 18 October 2006, 07:57 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One proper b@lls up help needed

Hi guys
As you can see i have a slight problem
I rang up rac tracker about 2 weeks ago to change details/subscribe on my sti 8
As insurance asked for it,now they took my details old plate reg and new as ive put a private plate on
Also took my vin/chassis number and card details so i could pay etc
They confirmed payment and said the tracker is now active andi would receive confirmation letter for my insurance company within 2 weeks
I rang the insurance company sorted out the new policy and told them the info would be with them shortly
Now 2 weeks on tonight i get a call from rac tracker saying there having trouble as ive changed plates etc so i gave them all the infomation yet again and they say sorry sir your car doesnt seem to be fitted with a tracker
What a feckin nightmare now i thought the 53 plate sti 8's came with trackers as standard on the uk models am i wrong and also whats my line of action

1.my insurance are wiating for the documents (which thanks to rac are no longer coming)
2.how do i stand with my insurance company as to no tracker or refund
3.Yet another 600 odd quid toi get one fitted (which really pee's me off)
Who's at fault here
Old 18 October 2006, 08:37 PM
Spirit
Scooby Regular

Well, as far as the insurance company goes you have to tell them you don't have a tracker and see how it affects the quote. If they won't cover you then you'll need to find someone that will asap. They will refund you a portion of the premium but not all of it.

Who's at fault? If the car doesn't have one then there's no-one to blame but yourself I'm afraid - it's up to you to make sure the details you give the insurance company are correct and in this case you haven't done your research properly. RAC should have spotted you didn't have a tracker straight away, however you've told them you do so they have acted on your word.

Not good news, but you should check these things out before telling the insurance company. Of course, if the car *should* come with a tracker as standard but for some reason yours hasnt you may have some come back in the manufacturer, but it's unlikely.
Old 18 October 2006, 08:40 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

They confirmed payment and said the tracker is now active and i would receive confirmation letter for my insurance company within 2 weeks

This is what the tracker company said to me so how am i to know it didnt have a tracker when i took out my insurance ???
Old 18 October 2006, 08:44 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

it should have a tracker yes... best bet is get in contact witrh an installer and get them to check it out.....
Old 18 October 2006, 08:47 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

Will do tomorrow m8,i have an rac trackstar + installer just down the road
Old 18 October 2006, 09:03 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

My tracker came standard when I had my 03 STI stright out of the factory . I would have another go at them. Also I got paperwork and cert with the car
Old 18 October 2006, 09:09 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

Ayup steve i know you your marv's m8
Here look what ive dug up
Problem | UK New Car Research

Gonna be going into willoughbys subaru tomorrow to have words me thinks !!

Trending Topics

Old 18 October 2006, 09:12 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

a tracker reduced mien my £80!!!!!!!!!

its more than that for a years subscription
Old 18 October 2006, 09:17 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

Its not about that m8 its about tracker confirming they had activated mine took my details and money i set up my insurance and say yes it has a tracker ( which i see are supposed to be factory fit) and now i get a call off them saying sorry 2 weeks later it dont have one (that it should)
Its a peace of mind thing as much as the insurance cockup they caused i am supposed to have one factory fitted and trcker says i dont so subaru need to sort it tbh
Old 18 October 2006, 09:22 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spirit
If the car doesn't have one then there's no-one to blame but yourself I'm afraid - it's up to you to make sure the details you give the insurance company are correct and in this case you haven't done your research properly. RAC should have spotted you didn't have a tracker straight away, however you've told them you do so they have acted on your word.
How is Paul to blame ? when he brought the car he was told they are fitted as std on this model and his insurance company never mentioned the tracker so there was no need to activte it at that time, now he has done some mods to the car and needed to swap insurance company's when it was renewal time, his new company now want proof of its fitting, RAC Trackstar took payment for it and told him it was activated, now 2 weeks later there saying sorry you don't have one.

So he has done nothing wrong, he has delcared all his mods to the new company and told them, yes a tracker is fitted and it will be activated, which he promplty phoned them up and payed for it, and then told it was now activated
Old 18 October 2006, 09:35 PM
Spirit
Scooby Regular

Whatever anyone has told him it's still his responsility to be 100% sure of the facts before relaying them to the insurance company. When I bought my STi 4 I was told it had a tracker fitted and a years subscription paid up, however on further investigation it turned out the seller had lied to me and whilst it did have a tracker, it wasn't currently subscribed.

My fault for taking the word of the seller without evidence, however I certainly made sure I checked it out before confirming the details with my insurance company. Paul's insurance company have acted on his word, which turns out to be wrong, they hold no blame in this situation.

Likewise the RAC have acted on his word - now they should have realised a bit quicker than two weeks that it didn't have a tracker however if it hasn't then there would be no RAC paperwork with the car. If I bought a car that supposedly had a tracker but not one hint of evidence that it actually did I would be very suspicious and would invesitage further before telling my insurance company that it did...
Old 18 October 2006, 09:44 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

They took my vin number,my old reg number and my new reg number,they stated on completion YES it is now activated for you sir

Today they take my VIN number my REG number and instantly on checking my VIN number say it doesnt have a tracker sir HOW am i to blame there when they could have told me straight away from the first time they took the vin number for gods sake
They say your tracker is activated i tell my insurance its feckin activated
Who's the fool here?
Old 18 October 2006, 10:39 PM
Spirit
Scooby Regular

Not saying you haven't been hard done by, RAC have clearly screwed up, but personally I'd have wanted a little more proof than just a phone jockeys word for it. If I bought a car that supposedly had a tracker I'd have wanted paperwork confirming that before going ahead with the purchase, never mind telling my insurance company