Sponsored by:

How to avoid specs cameras

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2006, 01:02 AM
dbmica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to avoid specs cameras

Not that i would want to encourage speeding in any way but did anyone read the article about specs cameras in the paper the other day?

Apparantly they have only been tested and authorised to scan one lane of traffic at a time.

So if you pass the first camera in lane one, then switch into lane two, you wont get picked up on the way out.

I think there are 25 specs cameras in operation at the moment and all but a couple of them are positioned to monitor only one lane.

There are a couple that monitor one lane on entry and the adjacent lane on exit, so on these ones if you actually stayed in your lane you would not get picked up.

If you switch from lane 1 to lane 3 you are in the clear no matter what!
Old 18 October 2006, 01:16 AM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Try it then let us know
Old 18 October 2006, 01:20 AM
dbmica
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Optical Race
Try it then let us know
i will in my missus's car
Old 18 October 2006, 01:21 AM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dbmica
Good Idea Buddy

Old 18 October 2006, 06:25 AM
petew
Scooby Regular

dont drive !
Old 18 October 2006, 07:49 AM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

There is a way you can avoid getting busted by them even if you stay in same lane. The Police know all about it, and if you use this method, they can't touch you.

It's called driving at or below the speed limit
Old 18 October 2006, 09:27 AM
scoobynewblood
Scooby Newbie

Do you have a death wish mate? If my old man did that i'd take his car off him( that would hurt more than cutting his !!!!! off.

Trending Topics

Old 18 October 2006, 11:18 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't work then on the A428 single carriageway out of Northampton. If everyone else is sticking to 40mph like on the M1 at Luton right now you'll hit someone up the **** trying to lane jump.
Old 18 October 2006, 12:45 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

wrong...... new spec cameras scan all lanes so changing lanes will not work......
Old 18 October 2006, 12:46 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rigga
wrong...... new spec cameras scan all lanes so changing lanes will not work......
source of information?
Old 18 October 2006, 02:19 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

been posted in motorcycle news as they are very anti speed camera lots of articles are written regarding camera technology..... if i recall it was true that specs cameras did indeed only scan one lane at the start of the measured section and if you were in a different lane at the end they did not register you... but that flaw has been addressed as it obviously would not be generating the desired revenue if you could avoid the fines...... new cameras which i believe are on line scan all lanes on enrt and exit of the measured section so you cannot avoid them that way.
Old 18 October 2006, 02:25 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Done a quick search on mcn.... this article was produced in aug 04 and the last paragraph proves intersting reading as it states that changing lanes will not work

Police could soon have a new tool to target riders - a digital speed camera system that takes pictures of the rear of vehicles.

The new cameras are being tested by speed camera maker Gatso in the Netherlands and could be seen in the UK by 2006.

The system works in a similar way to the SPECS system that has been used in small numbers in the UK since 2000, and uses two digital cameras to measure your speed between two points on the road.

As a bike passes the first camera its picture is taken and a timer is started. When the same bike passes the second camera the timer is stopped and the speed is calculated.

This means that even if you slow down to the legal limit as you pass each camera you will still get caught if you speed in between the two points.

The current SPECS system uses a front facing design so can’t see the registration of bikes but the new system faces the back of the bike so can easily grab the numberplate. It is also fully automatic so fines can be issued almost immediately.

The camera has been designed to cover wide sections of road so can catch a bike even if it changes lanes between the two points.

Link to article here,though might need to register to read it
MCN: The UK's number 1 motorcycling magazine

Old 18 October 2006, 02:44 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

So if i nail it through the M1 cameras as you suggest.. and get done - will you take my points LOL

Jza
Old 18 October 2006, 02:59 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 18 October 2006, 04:13 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

After speaking to an independent speed camera expert who works for both the police and motorists he advised me of something I wasn’t aware of …..

Basically the specs cameras which I always thought worked in pairs over a distance along a road i.e. in and out cameras. When in fact they can set them to different permutations.

Say you are on a road with 6 sets of cameras they can programme them so for example set 2 clocks you in and set 5 clocks you out or set 1 clocks you in and set 3 clocks you out.

Didn’t know that !

Oh and it takes about 2 minutes to set them so they frequently change them !!!!!
Old 18 October 2006, 04:18 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

lane changing seems to work , guy on one fo the websites i'm on tried it on the ring road in notthingam, 14 days have passed not ticket has arrived
Old 18 October 2006, 05:13 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

still has a few days left then to allow for postage time
Old 18 October 2006, 05:32 PM
dbmica
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jza
So if i nail it through the M1 cameras as you suggest.. and get done - will you take my points LOL

Jza
i will give them to the missus
Old 18 October 2006, 05:45 PM
dbmica
Scooby Regular

i am not saying i am right m8 i was just asking if anyone read the article. it was in the daily mail on monday, so very recent.

Speeding is wrong and dangerous, but speed cameras dont help either.
They take your concentration away, as you are constantly checking to see if you have strayed over the speed limit. Even when you know you are below the speed limit, if you see a speed camera you still look down to check.
They are there to make money nothing else.

And if you are driving into some roadworks on the motorway at 4am and you are doing 50mph instead of 40 (as i have done before) you then slow down to 40. It would be nice to think that if i change lanes i might not get procecuted for my momentary lapse of concentration which incidently, would not be putting anyone in any danger as the workforce is normally at the cafe at this time
Old 18 October 2006, 06:03 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

If there's two lanes and 4 or 5 sets of cameras like there often are on the M6 roadworks changing lane won't work because you soon run out of lanes.

An example. Start in lane 1, pass camera 1, change to lane 2 pass camera 2, OK so far. Then you have a choice. Choice 1 - change back to lane 1 and you can be done by camera 1 for start and camera 3 for finish. Choice 2 - stay in lane 2 and you can get done by camera 2 start and camera 3 finish. Potential to be nicked for either choice.

Only answer is to "hide" behind lorries as you go thro the specs camera locations (and nail it between them?). Or tailgate cars in front so close that the camera can't see your number plate. Either way hardly a major contribution to road safety.

Option 3 stay at home. And there is no option 4 before the **** retentives post, I'd rather stay at home than drive below the ridiculously low speed limits (which are clearly set for revenue gathering purposes rather than for safety reasons).
Old 18 October 2006, 07:11 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

If you switch from lane 1 to lane 3 you are in the clear no matter what!

That just seemed bad advise so only pointed out that it was not quite factualthats all
Old 18 October 2006, 07:31 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

To the quotes about Nottingham ring road, why the **** would you want to speed on there anyway?
FFS, that road was bloody lethal till them specs went up, now it is nice and serene.
I used to hate my morning drive home with white van man and any other tw@t driving like ***** racing everywhere, now it is superb at 40 mph.
As much as i might have hated them initially, now i am a fan of them in Notts.
Too many nutters in the mornings to not have cameras on our ring road.
Old 19 October 2006, 01:46 AM
dbmica
Scooby Regular

That just seemed bad advise so only pointed out that it was not quite factualthats all
point taken
Old 19 October 2006, 09:41 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I have seen bikes going through them fast, then just putting their hand over the number plate when they go through them on exit! How easy is that
Old 19 October 2006, 11:29 PM
dbmica
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by every1sgottablue1
I have seen bikes going through them fast, then just putting their hand over the number plate when they go through them on exit! How easy is that
great idea. i will try putting the missus in the boot she should be able to reach from there!!
Old 20 October 2006, 09:02 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

rigga, the question is not whether the technology is capable of monitoring speed across multiple lanes, which seems extremely likely, but whether the camera setups have been tested, calibrated, and approved for use in such a fashion, which seems to be in doubt.

I'm not sure how you would contest such a case? Can you get photographs by each camera to prove that you did change lanes?
Old 20 October 2006, 04:07 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

speedking...... the technology is in place to monitor all lanes from the start of the measured distance to the end where the time is recorded,speed calculations done,and ticket dispatched..... as to whether they have been type approved to do so im not sure,they would obviously need to be,but there so many cases that have come to light where operators,equipment etc are not up to the job,the slip affect that can register a higher speed than is true,and even a speed on a stationary object on the LT20 lazer gun is well known,but its still type approved for use and will continue to dish out incorrect speeding fines in some cases..... as for contesting any case against you there is a raft of knowledge available on the web from sites such as pepipoo etc.... you are fully entitled to all evidence against you at least 7 days before you go to court,lots of speed partnerships take the view that you are not entitled to see it,but you are,they take the view that most will accept and roll over when the nip drops through the letter box...... if in any doubt seek proper legal advise though as going to court even where you are pretty sure you are in the right can lead to a higher fine/points as old bill and the courts take a dim view to anyone disagreeing with their view that you are guilty till proved otherwise.......
Old 20 October 2006, 10:06 PM
dbmica
Scooby Regular

according to the article in the daily mail they were only tested and approved for one lane.
Old 21 October 2006, 12:01 AM
rigga
Scooby Regular

must be right then...

if the technology exists the camera partnerships will be pushing to use it and therfore type approve it beecause it widens the net for increasing revenue....... sorry catching dangerous speeders

Last edited by rigga; 21 October 2006 at 12:04 AM.