Help! Going to model my MY99 in max

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2006, 03:54 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Going to model my MY99 in max

Hi guys,
Basically as above really, I'm going to model my car in 3DS MAX but I need a top, side, front and rear view of a UK MY99 in a kind of blueprint form(like you get with the model kits)I could just buy a kit but was hoping someone on here may be able to help and save me some drinking money
Old 13 October 2006, 05:17 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I've got some 22B ones somewhere ...scanned from a Tamiya kit, ill have a rummage later

TIP: ditch MAX & use Maya curves/nurbs ...its the closest method to what the actual designers are using
Old 13 October 2006, 05:38 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
I've got some 22B ones somewhere ...scanned from a Tamiya kit, ill have a rummage later

TIP: ditch MAX & use Maya curves/nurbs ...its the closest method to what the actual designers are using
Cheers mate that would be great lol Don't have Maya unfortunately and we use max at work so haven't got round to trying it myself though I know its supposed to be better, my friend had to move from max to Maya when he went to work for Sony,said he wouldn't touch max with a barge pole now.
I was thinking of using splines in photoshop and tracing round the images that way I can import them into max for reference and start modelling with a box or plain then extruding(pretty basic stuff but it works)
Have you done any high poly modelling yourself? unfortunately I'm not working on next gen stuff(PS3,XBox360)yet, still modelling in low poly(PS2,PSP)
Old 14 October 2006, 08:57 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

It looks like the scans are on my worx PC ...So if you pm me your email addy ill send first thing Monday.

The models I made (22B, Integralé, EVO6 & a Focus Cosworth) were 'in game' & about 5-6000 Tri's (but no Interiors) & these were intended for XBOX ...but the project was canned, as the power's that be wanted to concentrate on character based stuff- mainly birds with big t1ts & a pair of guns!

Strangely It looks like I'll be going back to Max ...but <fingers firmly crossed> at least i'll be working purely on racing titles & driving games

I just took the scans into Maya as textures & projected them onto a flat plane, making sure I used the Image's aspect ratio ...& then used simple curves to create the main body work lines.

Ill also try & dig out a link to the latest 'trial' version of Maya ...It's a steep learning curve, but as your mate point's out ...you wont go back!
Old 16 October 2006, 09:35 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
It looks like the scans are on my worx PC ...So if you pm me your email addy ill send first thing Monday.

The models I made (22B, Integralé, EVO6 & a Focus Cosworth) were 'in game' & about 5-6000 Tri's (but no Interiors) & these were intended for XBOX ...but the project was canned, as the power's that be wanted to concentrate on character based stuff- mainly birds with big t1ts & a pair of guns!

Strangely It looks like I'll be going back to Max ...but <fingers firmly crossed> at least i'll be working purely on racing titles & driving games

I just took the scans into Maya as textures & projected them onto a flat plane, making sure I used the Image's aspect ratio ...& then used simple curves to create the main body work lines.

Ill also try & dig out a link to the latest 'trial' version of Maya ...It's a steep learning curve, but as your mate point's out ...you wont go back!

Who do you work for mate? I'm at Frontier developments, shame about the project being canned, I've been lucky and never had it happen to me yet , unfortunately quite common though

At least your getting to do racing games again, looks like I'm going to be stuck on these bloomin them park games for another three years the mini games are quite good fun to do but getting a bit bored with landscapes now .

Projecting textures onto planes is how I did some of the Luftwaffe plains in ThrillVille, can work quite well but you do need quite a high res image to see all the detail clearly.

I keep meaning to get a 'trial' lol version of Maya, probablyget it of me mate this week(if I remember)the link would be handy anyway though cheers
I wouldn't mind seeing some renders of your cars if you have some too(understand if you cant show them) surprised your having to go back to max, have you changed jobs or something?

Gary

You've got a PM mate