Sponsored by:

scooby newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 09:05 PM
shrewiside
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scooby newbie!

hello to all at scooby net, as the response from joining did suggest, i would like to wish you all the best in this cracking community, and hopefully i will be able to contribute half as much as i would like to extract from all you oh so knowledgeable scooby eggheads, sorry, petrolheads of course!
i've also just noticed a biker section, which maybe is the best place for me to contribute or impart some of my own knowledge, as a memeber of the motorcycle retail industry for many years, and an avid sportsbike rider/owner, part time off roader / motarder, and lover of all things fast on wheels really, i feel i'm in perfect company!
one last thing before i start bugging you all for tech stuff, is that i'm just as new to the subaru experience as i am to this community. having firstly bought a legacy gt twin tub estate, great car, but it has to go, i've now got a GF8 wrx wagon, 95m jap import, bugger all mileage and superb condition, i couldn't really resist.
anyway, my point is go easy on me, no doubt i'll be asking questions that you guys will take for granted and think me stupid of summat! but one day just one day you'll want to know the exhaust valve clearance shim size for a zxr750l3 french import, and we'll be quits!!!
Bye Bye for now, watch this space for the silly questions.....

cheers, shrew
Old 02 October 2006, 10:31 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Hello mate welcome, watch for the wind ups and the spelling police
kips
Old 03 October 2006, 09:05 AM
shrewiside
Scooby Newbie

Default thanks kips, now my first test for you all!

hi mate, thanks for that, i will...

as a much more general question, i read with interest last night some threads and posts on high rev misfires on the ej20 motor, something i am currently experiencing with a legacy gt twin tub.
ive done all the usual, started with a full service, inclucing timing belt, plugs, and fuel filter, and tested the fule pump pressure too just in case, which was stonking, nearly 3bar at tickover, so unless the pump breaks down under high rev condition and misses a beat or two everything should be ok, ok?
the misfire was still there, so i rechecked the service work, heading straight for the plugs but more significantly the coil packs having been warned that they can be a weakness, and they were, evryone of em having cracked and broken tips, and split or hole'd rubber gaitor, brilliant i thought, having also just bought a sport wagon which runs beautifully, i did a swap for known good coil packs.
cured? is she hell, better, couldn't not be considering the state mine were in but not cured altogether.
the daft thing is, on test drive, from cold, lovely, warm her up a bit, use more throttle, fab, proper temperature, go for it, fan flippin tastic, i've cured it, drive hard for a mile, great, smiles all round, turn round on test route, cane her home, stutter and misfire again, only on full throttle opening, i can almost drive round it by using three quarter throttle but hit the pedal to the metal and at around five grand she'll start to misbehave, and once she's doing it she'll carry on, so i'm assuming its a heat related thing but electrically she should be sound unless its ecu or something, no fault codes though, never has been.
so help, please help, its very minor but i want it right, and it manages to hit yer just when you're level with the car your overtaking and you think yeah i'll show you that you should have bought subaru, cough, splutter, hesitate. lag, go, .....
see what you can do with that one then matey's
cheers
Old 03 October 2006, 10:22 AM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

try putting a post in technical you may get better responce their also try the search on old threads as this is a common question,good luck kip
Old 03 October 2006, 10:39 AM
xspudx
Scooby Regular

welcome
Old 03 October 2006, 10:47 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Could it be fuel cutting if your boost is too high? I dont know if this can be the case on a Legacy, but worth checking maybe?
Old 03 October 2006, 03:15 PM
shrewiside
Scooby Newbie

hi, and thanks for the suggestion.

it could be a fuel cut thing, it doesn't quite feel as sharp as youd expect a misfire to feel, so yes almost like the pump, filter or regulator is somehow momentarily blocking or restricting for a split second.

however, the filter is brand new, the fuel pressure checks out fine, although only a static test.

i'm petrified to delve further into the labrynth of pipes, valves, solenoids and connections that are responsible for the changeover between the two staged turbo's, in case its anything there, but finding someone knowledgeable enough on the legacy twin tub is like looking for hens teeth!

by the way, boost levels shouldn't come into it in this case, should have mentioned before that this is a stock car as far as the motor goes, just a tailpipe, and a hks filter element, oh and that jap favourite a grounding kit which looks bloody awful!

thanks for everything so far guys...

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2006, 05:59 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shrewiside
hi, and thanks for the suggestion.

by the way, boost levels shouldn't come into it in this case, should have mentioned before that this is a stock car as far as the motor goes
If there is an air leak from a perished/split pipe leading to the amal valve(i think) this can allow a std. car to overboost in error up to the point of a fuel cut as the car thinks its only boosting at a lower level, as far as I know bleed valves use this to fool the car into allowing a controlled (a little) increase in boost. I dont know if this relates to a Legacy but someone will be able to help on here. good luck.
Old 03 October 2006, 07:32 PM
shrewiside
Scooby Newbie

thanks wheelshopo, i'll get under there and have a hunt round.

in the meantime, thanks to all that have offered their assistance, and please don't be offended if you see a similar post for help in the tech forum once i have explored some of your suggestions

thanks again guy's
shrew