Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2001, 10:03 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between the WRX & STI. I am looking into buying one or the other but am not sure which one.

I will have up to 12K to spend. I have seen a 1995 WRX with a few body mods, 280Bhp, silver, high rear wing, 39,000 miles, alarm etc for £8250, & a few others of similar spec. Would this be a good buy as I am not sure what these beasts are worth.

Or would I do better to get a standard one which is a year or two newer. I would appreciate anyone's comments.

Thanks
Old 16 November 2001, 10:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you seen www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm ?

If not it is very useful indeed.

[Edited by john banks - 11/16/2001 10:32:43 PM]
Old 16 November 2001, 10:43 PM
roadtrip
Scooby Regular

Talking

wotz the difference between my **** and your face?

wotz the difference between an apple & an orange?

wotz the difference between a good & a bad question?

wotz life all about?

wotz got into me?

aaaaaaaarrrrggghhh!
Old 16 November 2001, 10:44 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

had the same dilema myself a few months ago,

I made the sensible choice, as 12k is a lot of cash i spent it on the newer uk turbo. Got mysel a 99v reg, with the new shape grill and all that.

I sometimes wish i had gone the sti rout when i think about tuning, but to be fair, i played my car against a wrx that was a little older, and it pulled just as hard, if anytihg mine felt better (put that down to it being newer), i think it had more steem at 70 mph+ but for what mine made up in better quality, im sure i made right choice.

I plan on tuining mine to the 260 mark fo performance will be similar, and as i cant afford to tune it much further wont be needing an sti just yet.

As im only 25 and had to pay for the car myself, and a whopping 1900 insurence, the sti was simply not and oprion realisticly for me, i woul dhave had to go fir a very cheep 8k car to afford the extra in insurence.

Youll love the uk spec car, its quick, and driven well, will beet a poorly driven...... well anythihng realy.

I now get mine to go sideways, its lots of fun, but im sure ill curse the sti boyz when i do a track day, but, that will only be a few times a year.

Think about long term use dude, but my final thought is, im already saving for my next car, skyline i think, not sure yet, as i plan on keeping this for 4 years, by that time ill have some more money to play with.
Old 16 November 2001, 10:46 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

had the same dilema myself a few months ago,

I made the sensible choice, as 12k is a lot of cash i spent it on the newer uk turbo. Got mysel a 99v reg, with the new shape grill and all that.

I sometimes wish i had gone the sti rout when i think about tuning, but to be fair, i played my car against a wrx that was a little older, and it pulled just as hard, if anytihg mine felt better (put that down to it being newer), i think it had more steem at 70 mph+ but for what mine made up in better quality, im sure i made right choice.

I plan on tuining mine to the 260 mark fo performance will be similar, and as i cant afford to tune it much further wont be needing an sti just yet.

As im only 25 and had to pay for the car myself, and a whopping 1900 insurence, the sti was simply not and oprion realisticly for me, i woul dhave had to go fir a very cheep 8k car to afford the extra in insurence.

Youll love the uk spec car, its quick, and driven well, will beet a poorly driven...... well anythihng realy.

I now get mine to go sideways, its lots of fun, but im sure ill curse the sti boyz when i do a track day, but, that will only be a few times a year.

Think about long term use dude, but my final thought is, im already saving for my next car, skyline i think, not sure yet, as i plan on keeping this for 4 years, by that time ill have some more money to play with.
Old 16 November 2001, 10:47 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Red face

OOPS sorry for the double post
Old 16 November 2001, 10:56 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guy's.

Get a life ROADTRIP!
Old 17 November 2001, 01:25 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stiscoob,

R u asking the difference between the STi & the REAL WRX (Jap)
or the difference between the STi & the UK WRX? Reason i ask is
the jap WRX and the so called uk WRX are 2 different animals.
As u`ll find if u read the SIDC faq

L8r m8
Pete
Old 17 November 2001, 02:08 PM
Graham Beal
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Catflap, what insurance company r u with? £1900 seems like a lot to be paying. Im 22 and I only pay £1300 on my 98 WRX Sti 4.
Old 17 November 2001, 03:18 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

Graham, what company are you with? That price sounds sensible.

Jon
Old 17 November 2001, 03:55 PM
Graham Beal
Scooby Regular

Im with Privilege, I had to put at CAT 1 Alarm and a Tarcker on it tho' otherwise they wouldnt insure me . 22, 4 yrs NCB
Old 17 November 2001, 04:04 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Graham, who are u with? Im 22 and pay £1700 with £900 excess with Tesco (My 98). I was with What Car (Royal & Sun Alliance) and paying £1450 last yeah but they hiked it up to £2335.85 for no reason that I caused (ie no points and accidents).
Old 17 November 2001, 05:34 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Graham, I'm 24 and my other half is 26 or summat..... I was paying £1500 with priviledge for both of us, until I moved 10 miles down the road and they charged me an additional £450 for the 'priviledge'!!!!!. Basically looking at £2K now from those lovely people! Neither of us have had claims in over 5 years and I had 3 points from 98 that have now expired. Lovely people......not.

Nick
Old 17 November 2001, 05:55 PM
Graham Beal
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nick, I have to agree with you there mate. I was paying £670 on my Saxo VTR and then some tw*t from Privilage saw it in Redline and rang me to tell me that they were putting up my premium by £200!!! All the mods were decleared on it and they just said that having it in a mag increased its 'desirablity'

gits!

G