Sponsored by:

Whats that god damn noise

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2006, 10:04 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats that god damn noise

I've had this intermittent squeeling type noise coming from the front drivers side of the car, i think from the wheel for a qhile now. It used to just be when accelerating and going over say about 50 or 60. Its got worse though and is now pretty much all the time on and off at any sort of speed and whether accelerating slowing down whatever.

I've had a search around and come to the conlusion that its probably the wheel bearing, does this sound about right?

To be honest i dont really know what a wheel bearing is, so could someone basically give me the low down on what the problem is, what has probably casued it and what are the sort of costs to repair. Also do i need to be careful or anything when driving?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Joe
Old 28 September 2006, 10:11 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Could well be the wheel bearing but you should notice it more when cornering. Won't bore you on what they do but the part is not that expensive and only an hour at most to fit.

Have a look at the driveshafts under the car and check nothing is rubbing against them as metal on metal can make a very similar noise. Should be easy to spot a shiney metal section.
Old 29 September 2006, 08:49 AM
ultraviolate
Scooby Regular

Could also be a sticking brake pad. Ive had that in the past. I just removed the wheel, cleaned all the brake dust off and smeared on some PBC grease between the contact surfaces of the pad and caliper. Worked a treat
Old 29 September 2006, 08:53 AM
Tiller
Scooby Newbie

does the noise increase/decrease with the brakes applied? i've never had any problems with my stock pads, but i've had it happen on previous (non-suby) cars.
Old 29 September 2006, 01:28 PM
scooby808
Scooby Regular

When I first got my MY00 after a while there was a high pitch squeeling coming from the front that was intermittant and then all the time. Turned out to be the hi tech way of telling you that the brake pads need changing!

There is a metal tag attached to the pad that rubs on the disc when the pads are low and emmits a really annoying squeel. Might be worth checking that???
Old 30 September 2006, 11:19 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Theres no increase to the noise with the brakes applied and if anything id say its probably less when cornering rather than more

I'll have a look and see if there anything stuck in there or i'll check for this tag, as i think i'm probably about due for some new pads soon.

Thanks for the comments
Old 30 September 2006, 08:06 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby808
When I first got my MY00 after a while there was a high pitch squeeling coming from the front that was intermittant and then all the time. Turned out to be the hi tech way of telling you that the brake pads need changing!

There is a metal tag attached to the pad that rubs on the disc when the pads are low and emmits a really annoying squeel. Might be worth checking that???
Same with mine started of as a low speed squeal then just got higher up the speed range. I wasn`t overly concerned when it started as servicce was only a few days away anyway. And gusee what front pads needed changing. They lasted around 30,000 miles. Discs haven`t needed changing yet. but should think they might be close on the next service. And how come they notice a corroded rear brake disk ( outside edge, this is what happens when you let them stand for long periods while you are out of the counrty. )that has been like it since the car was 6 months old as soon as it goes out of warrenty, If it was that bad they would of said something earlier.

And on the tag front if it`s the inside pads that have gone then you might not be able to tell.

Jase

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2006, 11:43 PM
viperkick
Scooby Regular

i had this same problem on my scoob
turned out to be the Brake Caliper sticking