Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do People Hate Being Overtaken By A Scoob???

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2006, 05:01 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Do People Hate Being Overtaken By A Scoob???

So there I was today in a good straight Country Road. Bloke in front is in a NOVA doing about 50 and there are a couple of cars behind me.

Bloke shows no sign of speeding up and there are now 6 cars behind me so, straight road, I overtake him.

Then he puts his boot down, no problem, after a bit of a surprise, dropped it a gear and well away.

Settle down to about 65-70ish and, Mr NOVA is right up my backside trying to get into my Ashtray??

Why?? I gave him space, I wasn't in his boot, he was going slow, he just got miffed.

I had to make a right turn and, he was shouting saying things like "Crikey" you think you own the ***** road??

Just don't understand it??

Anyone had anything similar and, why do certain drivers get upset when you overtake them politely?

Alan MaC...........
Old 25 September 2006, 05:09 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Are you sure it wasn't Steve Irwin driving? with comments like that
Old 25 September 2006, 05:16 PM
simplesteve
Scooby Regular

Alan,

You're right... had similar experiences myself. It seems that overtaking these days, no matter how clean and curtious you make it, is frowned upon by loads of motorists. And it doesn't seem to matter what car / van / bike that you're driving / riding.

Steve
Old 25 September 2006, 05:20 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Hello Wurzel,

He wasn't actually saying Crikey but ****** **** and, I thought I should clean it up a bit to post on here!

Alan MaC
Old 25 September 2006, 05:23 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Not just Scoob's. I have a fettled Volvo T5 and get the same reception. I think it is something that is quick enough to overtake where they cannot is enough. I love the one were people flash you as you pass too
Old 25 September 2006, 05:24 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

It always make me smile on the motorway, as soon as you pass anything remotely sporty they have to pull out into your lane and sit behind you!!
Old 25 September 2006, 05:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

people hate being overtaken by anything !! the amount of people that try and stop me overtaking them in my van is embarrasing
Old 25 September 2006, 05:26 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

The best one is a flashing you get from the overtaken driver, especially in circumstances which you describe above.
Old 25 September 2006, 05:29 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Happens all the time !
People dawdle along the road then get annoyed when you overtake them
If they want to drive along the road like a t1t in a trance, that's fine with me, but don't get upset when I overtake ! And I do try to be courteous before overtaking.
Old 25 September 2006, 05:31 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Steve's right - people just hate being overtaken - Full Stop ! It's nuts !
Old 25 September 2006, 05:35 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
The best one is a flashing you get from the overtaken driver, especially in circumstances which you describe above.
And usually getting flashed by an oncoming driver that was in the next county when you started your overtake. Especially when you have pulled back in about 10 minutes before they reach you.
Old 25 September 2006, 05:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well its better than nearly being rammed up the rear (of the car!) by some rep in his sigma 1.9 cdti who isnt watching what he does (80 off the slip road and 40mph traffic on the slip road) nearly hitting you, swerving around and fitting into the 4 car gap in front of you by slamming his brakes on.... then doing a really good over taking manouvre on the wrong side of the road (after the slip road and on the main road) with on coming traffic....
Otherwise I just get punto's trying it on

Tony
Old 25 September 2006, 05:41 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got flashed when I overtook someone whilst testing the scoob the other week.. fair enough I did light the tyres up, nearly wipe them out when I got a little outta shape and never lifted Deafened them with the VTA wastegate, popped a flame at them, but I went around the roundabout at the top and then booted it back down the 'test track' and flashed them back as they were still coming up the road.. think he thought his 206 git was quick!!

David
Old 25 September 2006, 06:37 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
I got flashed when I overtook someone whilst testing the scoob the other week.. fair enough I did light the tyres up, nearly wipe them out when I got a little outta shape and never lifted Deafened them with the VTA wastegate, popped a flame at them, but I went around the roundabout at the top and then booted it back down the 'test track' and flashed them back as they were still coming up the road.. think he thought his 206 git was quick!!

David
Ooooh - where's your big spoon. Stop trying to upset the children
Old 25 September 2006, 07:28 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

One word is all thats needed. Jealousy!!!!!!

He prob cant afford a better car so he therefore either looks up to you with respect like i used to as a kid when i had a Fiesta 1.4S and i saw a Cosworth. Or he acts like a pr**k.
Old 25 September 2006, 07:28 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

oi wallis

i used to own a 206 GiT

everytime i look at that pic i thank my lucky stars i actually saw sense and sold the heap of french poo

worst car i EVER owned and the list is big
Old 25 September 2006, 07:39 PM
decepticon
Scooby Regular

many a time followed people doing 40ish in 60 zones, pass them and carry on doing 60 then notice a few miles down road they are still behind me
maybe they like the 'got overtaken by a scoob today, but managed to keep with him' story down the pub
Old 25 September 2006, 07:50 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

When I get flashed by the person I've overtaken or they put their lights on full beam, I flip the rearview mirror up so that I don't get dazzled by them, and then forget about them. I put it back down once they've gone or dipped their lights. By doing that it stops me thinking about their actions or getting wound up.

You're certainly right though, there does seem to be a problem amongst some drivers with overtaking. But they're usually the ones on autopilot sailing through both 30 zones and National Speed Limit areas at 45...
Old 25 September 2006, 07:54 PM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

I don't think it is just Subaru's that get this. I have to travel down a couple of country lanes on the way to work and just about everybody seems to do 40mph. There are a couple of sections of long straight bits where it is safe to overtake, so I normally do as I prefer to at least travel at the speed limit (open limit). Yet so many people get upset, flash their lights etc etc... I really see no problem, if some pilock wants to over take me and drive faster than that's fine. Some people just feel you have to sit behind them all the way...stuff that.
Old 25 September 2006, 08:33 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

On my to skegness last week, nice bit of country road. got behind some diesel 4x4 stupid large thing. got onto a nice bit of stright as i pull out to overtake see him drop it by the huge clouds of diesel smoke puthering out if his exhausts.

I mean why, why try and keep me out why try and make my overtaking dangerous. Its not as iff it would work
Old 25 September 2006, 08:44 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Yep. have definitely come across folk who accelerate when you overtake -
making what would be a safe overtaking move unsafe ! ***** !!
Old 25 September 2006, 09:16 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Popping a flame is a good one too - the other one [FWD only unless you are very brave] is smoke bellowing out of the front arches as you pass on the limiter Always gets a rise
Old 25 September 2006, 09:24 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alas
And usually getting flashed by an oncoming driver that was in the next county when you started your overtake. Especially when you have pulled back in about 10 minutes before they reach you.

Yes, absolutely agree. What the hell is that all about???
Old 25 September 2006, 10:02 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

have experienced all of the posted comments, from flashing to sudden acceleration to abuse and unless I am in a playful mood, whereby I might jam on the anchors, make them screech to a halt, drop a gear and floor it, I tend to just ignore them, either by accelerating away until they are a dot or if the high beam ploy is used, flip the rer mirror.

If they want to act an ****, then thats their lookout...you will always get tw*ts like that, regardless of what car/van/bike you own...
Old 25 September 2006, 10:19 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

One speed man or dawdler man hates being overtaken but they love a queue behind them When I overtake I have to take 'em by surprise to avoid irritating blocking or speeding up tactics. I drive very passively and over to the verge while looking for the safe overtake, then floor it and overtake before they realise what is going on

I have also discovered a new way to deal with this problem. Actively seek to 'outrage' other drivers like Mr McGiver, Sunday driver! Nothing dangerous of course but still within the law Once it becomes a game to upset those that upset us the tabels are turned and driving becomes fun again. Try it!

F
PS finish any outrage episode with a maniacal laugh "muharhar"
Old 25 September 2006, 10:27 PM
might wrx
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing happen to me i passed a rover 416 in a company car. He was doing 50 in a 60 so a passed when safe to do so. Now he decides he wants to sit in my boot. went up to 75, still there inches away. TW T or what
Old 25 September 2006, 11:21 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

The worst and most dangerous thing I have seen happen to me is, Someone closing the gap I was aiming for when I pulled out to overtake 2 cars that were nearly sat on top of each other,while in a half dozen car cue behind a lorry showing no indications of wanting to overtake. forcing me to force my way into the gap that wasn`t there.

I don`t take risks when overtaking. But I will practice it if I have the chance. Even if it`s just on the 4 mile run from town back to my house. Because like any skill, if you don`t use it you lose it, and that is a very dangerous skill to lose touch with. Unless your happy sitting behind an lorry doing 40 mph, because you have no idea how long it`s going to take to get past it.

Jase
Old 26 September 2006, 12:38 AM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Barmyclown
The worst and most dangerous thing I have seen happen to me is, Someone closing the gap I was aiming for when I pulled out to overtake 2 cars that were nearly sat on top of each other,while in a half dozen car cue behind a lorry showing no indications of wanting to overtake. forcing me to force my way into the gap that wasn`t there.
Had this a few years ago with a brown VW passat. I'd made several overtakes to make my way up a queue of traffic, and was overtaking the last two cars before the artic that was holding everyone up.
I passed the two cars, and was intending to pull back in behind the lorry, when the VW just rolled up to the back of the lorry's trailer. I sat there for a second or so, left hand indicator on, before slowly cutting back across the road, leaving the VW with nowhere to go, but to back off.
A few hundred yards later, the road opened up again and I was gone. No hint of anyone else even looking to overtake, so why the big squeeze?
Old 26 September 2006, 12:56 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Popping a flame is a good one too - the other one [FWD only unless you are very brave] is smoke bellowing out of the front arches as you pass on the limiter Always gets a rise
Like that one - hit the limiter in 2nd as you are alongside the drivers door

Why? Some arsewipe is holding up everyone so you pass them. They throw a strop. Get a ****ing decent car, ********, and take your foot off the goddamn brake (SWMBO's quote, not mine)
Old 26 September 2006, 01:10 AM
New_scooby_04

Agree, it's aproblem no mattter what you own: it seems to be synonomous with "queue jumping" in the great UK mentality, which is daft.

I generally won't overtake if it means squeezing into a gap up ahead (why gve em the chance to cause problems). I wait till a good opportunity arises then comit fully. After that, they can protest all they want - it won't matter cause I will be long gone (benefits of a modified classic scooby)!

Ns04

Quick Reply: Why Do People Hate Being Overtaken By A Scoob???