Sponsored by:

Quick tyre question

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 10:24 AM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick tyre question

Just about to get my fronts changed, I have about 1-2mm wear difference between the outer and inner edges (inside worn more) Is this normal or does the tracking need checking?

I also get quite bad understeer, should i go for fast road settings? or will this promote uneaven wear? do around 60/40 motorway/a road driving.

Thanks.
Old 21 September 2006, 11:41 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

with more camber, you will get slightly uneven tyre wear, as a trade off for being about to go round bends at insane speeds.

might be worth getting a geometry check / adjustment done, usually circa £80.00.

that way you can have it set up how "you" want and not how the tyre shop man decides you want it!!!

Dazza
Old 21 September 2006, 12:17 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

what sort of a camber have you got, i herd that a prodrive one causes the front wheels to sit at a angle (more on the inner edge) thus causing the inner edge to wear quicker, by any chance is the inner side wall all ok or has that started coming apart?
JAY
Old 21 September 2006, 02:13 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Don't know what i have, car was a standard MY95 when i got her, more than likely it has gone out due to wear. Tyres are changed but i held off the geometry for now. The guy changing them said that they didn't look to bad for a 4wd car, like i say only 1mm diff between inner and outer. Car doesn't tram line or pull anymore so it could have just been the tyres, will have to wait to see what the understeer is like now, previously in the wet it was dangerous.

I guess i really want something that is best all round, i do a reasonable amount of motorway driving for work, but then at the weekends i do mostly a roads and that's when i get the understeer.

Is there a good adjustment to lessen understeer and give equal trye wear? should i just go for standard setup?

I'll probably find that the car is out on standard and by putting it back will solve the problems, just don't want to waste money doing it twice.
Old 21 September 2006, 03:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vessy
Don't know what i have, car was a standard MY95 when i got her, more than likely it has gone out due to wear. Tyres are changed but i held off the geometry for now. The guy changing them said that they didn't look to bad for a 4wd car, like i say only 1mm diff between inner and outer. Car doesn't tram line or pull anymore so it could have just been the tyres, will have to wait to see what the understeer is like now, previously in the wet it was dangerous.

I guess i really want something that is best all round, i do a reasonable amount of motorway driving for work, but then at the weekends i do mostly a roads and that's when i get the understeer.

Is there a good adjustment to lessen understeer and give equal trye wear? should i just go for standard setup?

I'll probably find that the car is out on standard and by putting it back will solve the problems, just don't want to waste money doing it twice.
im getting a lot of understeer, so im stiffening the back end up a little by going for a whiteline 22mm adjusable arb and some alloy droplinks. may be worth looking into for the sake of £200? good luck matey

andy