ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newbie planning to buy a WR1

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2006, 07:48 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie planning to buy a WR1

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to Scoobynet so a big "hello" to everyone. I currently have a Seat Leon Cupra R (225bhp) as a company car. Lucky for me, work are changing the way in which they fund the cars. They are giving us a wedge of cash via our wages which should be enough to buy me a used Scooby at around the £16,000 mark. Now this won't happen to me for another year yet but i'm already looking forward to getting my first Subaru. They have always been out of my price range before. Do you guys think £16000 will get me a WR1 or will i need a bit more? Also i've had an insurance quote for a new STi which came back at £770. Do you think a used WR1 will be a similar price or will i need more cash for that too?
Old 17 September 2006, 07:52 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Iam pretty sure the wr1 is above the 20k mark depends if you have to give your seat back or can use it as a deposit as the wr1 being a special edition it will allways hold a bit of value as for insurance it is a best bet to do another quote
Old 17 September 2006, 07:53 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I think you will be lucky to get a WR1 for 16k at the moment but in a years time who knows. As far as insurance goes it shouldn't be too different from an STI Type UK.
Nik.

Originally Posted by wakko
Hi guys, I'm a newbie to Scoobynet so a big "hello" to everyone. I currently have a Seat Leon Cupra R (225bhp) as a company car. Lucky for me, work are changing the way in which they fund the cars. They are giving us a wedge of cash via our wages which should be enough to buy me a used Scooby at around the £16,000 mark. Now this won't happen to me for another year yet but i'm already looking forward to getting my first Subaru. They have always been out of my price range before. Do you guys think £16000 will get me a WR1 or will i need a bit more? Also i've had an insurance quote for a new STi which came back at £770. Do you think a used WR1 will be a similar price or will i need more cash for that too?
Old 17 September 2006, 07:54 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

I've seen a couple for just under £19K on Autotrader and wondered if they come up any cheaper. If not, i should still be able to pick up a nice car for £16K ish.
Old 17 September 2006, 07:55 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowest i've seen a WR1 for is 18k

try looking here M8 http://www.wr1oc.co.uk/
Old 17 September 2006, 07:57 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

Maybe in a years time you may have changed your mind on what sort of car you want or do you definatly have your heart set on a WR1 ?
Old 17 September 2006, 07:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doubt you will get a good wr1 for 16k, let alone 18k, most seem to be around the 20k mark still, though id not buy one myself when there are better options out there

Tony

PS, have a look at www.ladsoc.co.uk if you aint already have
Old 17 September 2006, 07:59 PM
jaydut
Scooby Regular

dont change ur mind buy one they r the bo**ocks i wish i could afford one
Old 17 September 2006, 08:01 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

If there are better options out there, i'm all ears. Any advise will be gratefully received. I've never owned an Scooby so i need to trawl the forum for a bit.
Old 17 September 2006, 08:03 PM
GreigRFC
Scooby Regular

Hello

I got this sti in july for 15k from a subaru dealer. 23000 miles and fssh.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...C/DSC00672.jpg

As you can see it is minted. So for 16k i guess you could find a beauty in a years time.

GreigRFC
Old 17 September 2006, 08:06 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Thats a great looking car, real nice mate. Only problem is i can't wait until i change my car now. A year is going to seem like a long time.
Old 17 September 2006, 08:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The later JDM STi's are a better car than the WR1 will ever be, more out of the box power (doesnt need a remap to make 316bhp ) and you get more goodies with them (A-DCCD, quick rack steering, auto intercooler water spray etc)
16-17k for a decent one (03 plate) they have a different power delivery, more smoother so it doesnt seem as quick but it is though if you aint had a scoob before you wont be too bothered about the noise it makes, the later JDM cars loose the flat 4 sound and gain a more "rally" car sound
Just check out the lancs and district subaru owners club site, pop down for a meeting and see what is going to suit you best, there will be a wide variety of cars there to look at and owners more than willing to answer questions
www.ladsoc.co.uk

Tony
Old 17 September 2006, 08:09 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Tony thats a real help. I'll get myself down to a meet and ask loads of questions. I've got to make sure i buy one i'm going to be happy with.
Old 17 September 2006, 08:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

This is the sort of car your going to be able to get

http://www.litimports.co.uk/stocklist.asp?inc=84

Note that STi's are normally harder to insure, if your over 30 then there isnt usually a problem, its if your under 30, this includes uk cars but JDM cars can be harder to insure as they are more "speciallised" but you get companies like A-Plan, Keith Michaels and the likes who do good deals on these

Tony
Old 17 September 2006, 08:19 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The later JDM STi's are a better car than the WR1 will ever be, more out of the box power (doesnt need a remap to make 316bhp ) and you get more goodies with them (A-DCCD, quick rack steering, auto intercooler water spray etc)
Tony
The WR1 does have A-DCCD and you'll probably get thro life quite comfortably with manual waterspray as opposed to automatic

I'm one who doesn't subscribe to Import is better I'm afraid

I enjoy the Main Dealer free servicing and cheaper insurace too much

...come to think of it you'll prolly get along just fine without A-DCCD as well
Old 17 September 2006, 08:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
The WR1 does have A-DCCD and you'll probably get thro life quite comfortably with manual waterspray as opposed to automatic
True, the WR1 does have A-DCCD, what it doesnt have is a rear wiper, an 8k rpm rev limit (7.5k) a considerably better and up to date engine
Quick rack steering, light weight alloys and a host of other goodies you dont get on a uk car

I'm one who doesn't subscribe to Import is better I'm afraid

I enjoy the Main Dealer free servicing and cheaper insurace too much

...come to think of it you'll prolly get along just fine without A-DCCD as well
The JDM STi is considerably better than its uk counterpart because it is the flagship of the Impreza and advances as such, the uk car.... not much changes
You have me on the free dealer servicing but not on the insurance, it costs me less to insure my spec c than it does a wr1
As for the A-DCCD, oh it makes a whole lot of difference in how the car handles, takes out that nasty understeer you get on the uk cars that dont have it fitted

JDM = Better
UK = old and none evolving

Tony
Old 17 September 2006, 09:00 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

If these are the light colour blue ones then my dealer has a used one for £20k - was in the showroom when I went there Saturday (Quenby's in Baldock, Herts).

I have an LCR225 too mate and am looking for a used Sti - went to see one today and could tell it had been spanked (somehow) as the rear driver's side quarter and rear driver's side door had been resprayed (badly).
Old 17 September 2006, 09:02 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

By the way, before you decide anything, test drive a scooby...they are quite different from what we are used to
Old 17 September 2006, 09:25 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
True, the WR1 does have A-DCCD, what it doesnt have is a rear wiper
Tony
How on Earth have I managed to cope so far without a rear wash/wipe?

...only joking mate,but you will never ever convince me that an import of any marque has an absolute advantage over a its UK counterpart,particularly if its only used as an everyday road-going vehicle