Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Dammit, need Dentmaster or similar....

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2006, 04:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dammit, need Dentmaster or similar....

Somewhere and somehow, my car has aquired a dent to the rear wing just behind the fuel cap. I don't think it's accidental either unfortunately
Anyway, my question. This dent is quite big so i'm wondering if the likes of dentmaster or whoever will be able to successfully remove it. If yes is the answer, who is good around Wetherby, Harrogate type area?

Old 17 September 2006, 04:27 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Having done a quick search, has anyone used this chap?
Old 17 September 2006, 05:09 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat mate, althout my dent is more of a small crease where somebody decided to kindly reverse along the rear side of my car whilst I was asleep...they didnt leave a calling card as you can imagine

A chap from Chips-away is coming to assess my car tomorrow to see what they can do...yours looks easy to sort mate, you shouldn't have much trouble as there is no paint damage.

Good luck.
Old 17 September 2006, 05:09 PM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

That should be a successful 'dentless' repair.Doesn't look like the paint is split.

If this helps anyone, i have a mate here in Swindon that does dentless repairs, pin dents etc.He's a real nice guy and does it very cheaply.He's done quite a few of my mates cars..........including mine.PM me if interested.Al.
Old 17 September 2006, 05:18 PM
scooby2!
Scooby Regular

Not wishing to give bad news, but as I am an insurance engineer, dent master will need a magic wand to get that out, it looks well streched, sorry but a good paint shop is your best bet.If he can do it though show us the pics, and give his number, good luck
Old 17 September 2006, 05:23 PM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

I disagree............although you'd need to see the damage in the flesh tbh.I've seen dents alot worse come out.
Old 17 September 2006, 06:02 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Cheers for the input guys
Old 17 September 2006, 06:05 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2!
Not wishing to give bad news, but as I am an insurance engineer, dent master will need a magic wand to get that out, it looks well streched, sorry but a good paint shop is your best bet.If he can do it though show us the pics, and give his number, good luck
Insurance Engineer: is that the new term for a insurance assesor? Looks like another industry nicking an the Engineer Name.

But on the dent - any good SMART repair centre should be able to get that out. It looks quiet big so may be able to pull it out using and dent pull (Big suction cup) .
Old 17 September 2006, 07:45 PM
scooby2!
Scooby Regular

sorry if my job title offends, no I am an engineer, not an assesor, I thought that 20 odd years in the motor trade, 7 of which I worked for subaru UK, IMI accredition etc, would give me the right to be an engineer, maybe I will meet you when you make your next claim!!
I have only just joined this site, only trying to be helpful.
Old 17 September 2006, 08:27 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2!
sorry if my job title offends, no I am an engineer, not an assesor, I thought that 20 odd years in the motor trade, 7 of which I worked for subaru UK, IMI accredition etc, would give me the right to be an engineer, maybe I will meet you when you make your next claim!!
I have only just joined this site, only trying to be helpful.
No had a run in with my insurance company recently over an acciedent in april where the chap said he was an engineer but was not, and he called him self an engineer... Sorry didnot mean to offend just winds me up when people call themselves engineers. I am a chartered Engineer by trade and have been working towards being an engineer for 13 years.

Will retract my comment

Steve
Old 21 September 2006, 09:35 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

And the answer is

Old 22 September 2006, 12:43 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

how much do it cost Brun ?
Old 22 September 2006, 05:44 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

£60 for cash
TBH - as Scooby2 pointed out - the metal has stretched. The repair is "almost" 100% but you can see where it was if you look closley. The chap who did it, did say that due to the "tin foilness" of the Impreza bodywork a perfect repair was not possible
Old 22 September 2006, 07:21 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Excellent result Brun. You must be very pleased with the end result..?

I have a lot of faith in companies like ChipsAway and the like, and if you can see an engineer's work from an old job then even better. A couple of month's ago the wife drove her MY01 WRX into the driveway -- literally. It's amazing how unforgiving concrete posts are, and metal and plastic the complete opposite. When she got ChipsAway along to work their magic, I had my doubts given the damage.

As it turned out, my hat tasted a lot better when I sprinkled salt and vinegar over it. The ChipsAway chap restored the car to its former glory and the pricing was very favourable. Granted, if you absolutely scrutinise one repair area then you can notice a faint line in one small place, but for the money you can't fault the work.

3 weeks later I had the same guy round to sort out some chips and wing mirror scuffs.

Bodyshop prices can be quite painful unless you know someone in the business, so it always pays to do some homework on ChipsAway, Dent Devils, and similar. Having the car worked on at home or work is useful too.

Jonts.
Old 23 September 2006, 12:45 AM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Agreed. Got Dent Devils to work their magic while I was at N.B.O and they got my STI back to showroom condition. Pity I wrapped it round a Kia Shuma few weeks later while driver was on his mobile phone on my side of road!! Beyond smart repair or any kinda repair now!!
Old 23 September 2006, 10:58 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Vey pleased Jonty