ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

£3000 free petrol or euro import

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2006, 02:18 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £3000 free petrol or euro import

My mate was well impressed with my standard 2003 WRX and he is now wanting to change his type r for a sti. Should he get one from a dealer for 27k less 3k free petrol = 24k. Or should he go to somewhere like litchfields and pay 23k for a euro import. Think i'll have to upgrade mine aswell if he gets the sti.
Old 17 September 2006, 03:29 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If he's going to Litcho's for an import then he should forget the EU stuff and go straight for the JDM's
Old 17 September 2006, 11:00 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

He's 25 with 2 yncb. His current insurer wont insure him on one. He also cant afford 27k. He's stretching the boat out as it is. This is why he wants a brand new one so he has warranty and won't have any massive bills comin his way.
Old 17 September 2006, 11:02 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Probably better getting the Euro import if you read the small print of the petrol offer its not all its cracked up to be.

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
My mate was well impressed with my standard 2003 WRX and he is now wanting to change his type r for a sti. Should he get one from a dealer for 27k less 3k free petrol = 24k. Or should he go to somewhere like litchfields and pay 23k for a euro import. Think i'll have to upgrade mine aswell if he gets the sti.
Old 17 September 2006, 11:53 AM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
He's 25 with 2 yncb. His current insurer wont insure him on one. He also cant afford 27k. He's stretching the boat out as it is. This is why he wants a brand new one so he has warranty and won't have any massive bills comin his way.
https://www.scoobynet.com/my05-55-st....html?t=535960
Could've had this! Save £8k get a better car!
Old 17 September 2006, 12:39 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

That looks a cracking motor mate. I've told him not to buy new as depreciation is shockingly bad. I'd seen a nice black Sti on here for him a couple of weeks back that was £11,700. but he wasn't interested. Anyone know what howy means by this 'Probably better getting the Euro import if you read the small print of the petrol offer its not all its cracked up to be.' Very interesting.
Old 17 September 2006, 02:25 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

He should do none of the above. He should ring around some dealers and get £6k off a new UK car. When I was selling my STI the dealer told me he was offering that discount even without me asking him. Under £21k is the new target. Good luck
Old 17 September 2006, 02:39 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Is this for real 21K for a brand new sti Uk from a a main dealer with 3K free petrol aswell.
Old 18 September 2006, 10:13 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

No, 21k is the total price. The dealer can basically cash in your vouchers to give you a 3k discount on top of the 3k he is already offering. 6k total discount. This is why the used values are plummeting so much.
Old 18 September 2006, 10:31 PM
6500rob
Scooby Newbie

Question

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
No, 21k is the total price. The dealer can basically cash in your vouchers to give you a 3k discount on top of the 3k he is already offering. 6k total discount. This is why the used values are plummeting so much.
Can you say where this deal is available please as my Brother wants a 2006 STi PPP & has spoken to 20+ SUBARU official dealers (needs warrenty etc) and can't get anything like the sort of deal you suggest . He has cash , no p/x but because of the fuel offer every one he spoke to says very little off list (many offering nothing at all! ). Most claim their profit/margin is far less than the discount you're suggesting .
Also, not one has suggested cashing in the vouchers or offering discount in lieu.
If it's a real price post it up here please.
Rob
ps, If they're £21k new why are they bothering with the used section on www.subaru.co.uk where anything STi under 1 year old is that or significantly more?
Old 19 September 2006, 12:04 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Sorry i cant help u much mate as i posted the thread originally. But if its any help i was told by a dealer when i bought my wrx a few years ago that when subaru have incentives like when i got mine (3 years free servicng) that these deals are funded by subaru and not the dealer. Therefore cause subaru have a national promotion (3k petrol) this makes no difference to the dealers profit margins.
Old 19 September 2006, 08:54 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to litchfield, they do euro imports as well as JDM's and i think the PPP or their own version of this is already in the list price, correct me if i am wrong.
Dont be sucked in by "free petrol" , there is no such thing as free in the dealer world they just exchange your money for monopoly money that can only be spent at a petrol forecourt!
Old 19 September 2006, 09:31 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

He should do none of the above. He should ring around some dealers and get £6k off a new UK car. When I was selling my STI the dealer told me he was offering that discount even without me asking him. Under £21k is the new target. Good luck
Maybe he was telling you that to try and justify the low price he was offering for yours ???
Old 19 September 2006, 12:06 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

Not on an 06MY!
Old 19 September 2006, 01:09 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Well having just bought a WRX new the dealer would buy the 3K petrol vouchers back but wanted to give only about 2k {a similar deal he just struck with someone on a new STi} he also told em that he couldn't give major discount because of the offer as it does affect there discount ability, most dealers only have about 8% margin to give back and then they rely on the bonuses they get from the main supplier.

This is all based on my discussion with my dealer make of it what you will.
Old 19 September 2006, 02:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Are you sure the dealer wasn't just talking cr@p, so he could offer you a **** price for your car?
When i tried to sell my car earlier this year, the dealer told me the same thing. one quick check on his website saw second hand STI PPP's (as mine) up on his forecourt for between £22K & £23K.
He's hardly going to sell a new car for less than his second hand stock.
Old 19 September 2006, 03:52 PM
mollymai
Scooby Regular

Default New Sti

I was offerd £2500 off the price of a new Sti instead of the fuel vouchers today. Didn't push it anymore as I have already bought a demonstrator, although I could have got a new one for the same price if I had waited a month when the vouchers came out - the dealership obviuosly knew at the time and I didn't, nasty. Oh well you live and learn and I got a good p/ex deal on mine so not complaining too much - and I now have an Sti so sod the world!
Old 19 September 2006, 05:29 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

This seems to have sparked some interest. The dealer was Haddocks in Essex. I bought my MY05 car from them and they offered me a massive trade in on my car and 4.5k off the list price off the STI. They actually offered me a really good price to buy the car back but I found another dealer who would give me 500quid more because he needed the stock. In my limited dealings with Haddocks I have found them friendly, open and honest and would buy another Subaru from them if I were in the market for one.

As for the used prices of STIs, does anyone with a brain actually pay them? They are just a starter for 10 and the real price only becomes known in the bonus rounds. Give em a call and see what they say. The logic makes sense, it is just that people who have made a recent purchase don't want to believe it. Report back on here to let me know how you get on...I'll be interested to see if I am right.
Old 19 September 2006, 07:52 PM
6500rob
Scooby Newbie

Question

OK, could we have some substance to this please.
You were offered £4.5k discount against the list £27040 for a MY06 new shape STi? Brand new? Not ex Demo? Non PPP?
You were offered AS WELL a trade in which was £1500 over what it should have been? (According to the maths).
We need to know the EXACT spec of your car, Model, Date Reg, Acessories, Mileage & most imprtant the trade in offer.
Forgive my scepticism but this type of deal doesn't exist in my world & if it does we'll be buying one.
Rob
Old 19 September 2006, 08:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I suppose the dealer will also wash and wax the car every week for a year too.

Sorry but I am a little sceptic about it too, from my recent experiance.
Old 19 September 2006, 10:48 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Nope...you have misunderstood. And before anyone tells me I don't know what I am talking about please understand I am just the messenger.

Remember at the start of the year how all those 2 litre STIs were pouring onto the market? How could they sell em for £21995 and still make a profit? Well they took their normal discount off of the purchase price and found a way to convert the 0% finance option into a further discount which equated to a total discount somewhere in the region of £4,500. In addition, Haddocks gave me a storming trade in on my car. This all added up to a super deal.

9 months later...we have the 2.5 STI. Apparently the current discount available from dealers is £3,000. In addition the £3,000 fuel vouchers can be converted into a further £3,000 discount giving a total discount of £6,000. Given that the fuel vouchers do not cost the dealer anything as they are a Subaru UK funded offer I find this all quite plausible.

Given the massive discounts available on Euro imports (according to a link on this site you can get £6,000 off an STI) it is not unreasonable to assume that the UK dealers have some slack in their list prices. Also, why do you think that the market for used cars is so bad? It is because the list price is the greatest work of fiction since the last Labour Party manifesto. It is entirely possible that I have got the wrong end of the stick but given the maths are not that complicated I don't think I have. If I was told the truth, and there is no reason why I wasn't, then hopefully I have saved some people a lot of money. I'm sure someone will let me know .
Old 20 September 2006, 12:17 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

How is this for an alternative explanation : Some Subaru UK dealers have found a way of bypassing Subaru UK and are now getting UK spec cars direct from Subaru Malta and Subaru Cyprus at much lower prices than charged by Subaru UK and are passing this on to customers ?? Because the cars don't come thro Subaru UK then they are offered with a real cash discount as opposed to fuel vouchers ??
Old 20 September 2006, 09:01 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are the vouchers exchangable for cash discount though. Unless the Dealer is given hard cash for returning unused vouchers, then I can't see how that would work.

I'm not saying anyone's wrong, but if I could into a dealer asking for £6K off and they tell me to go **** myself I want some strong ammunition to back me up.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:01 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Guys I don't know how they do it. I am just telling you what I was told. My MY05 STI was a 100% UK car. The numbers I am quoting are not at all unreasonable given how old the basic impreza design is. If we were talking about a brand new M3 or something then I agree this would all sound implausible. However, on a car which is basically 8 years old, not selling well, due for replacement and costs over £27k, I reckon there is room for manoeuvre on the price. I am sure most dealers would offer a 4-figure discount on a new STI and if you have no trade in I am sure they could go a little higher. Add that to a further £3k discount funded by somebody else (Subaru UK) and it really does make sense. If you want the car then why not phone up and see what deal this dealer can offer. Don't go in all guns blazing saying "I want £6k off or the deal's off", because that won't get you anywhere. Be sensible and see what you can get. I got the equivalent of £6k off a new one at the start of the year so there is no reason why this excellent dealership can't do a storming deal for you too. Good luck.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:04 AM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Default hhhhmmmm

The vouchers are totally worthless when they arrive at the dealer. The numbers on them are sequential and relate specifically to the registered owner of the car (I have such a letter which attributes the numbers to me).

Once they arrive (about 5 days after you pick up the car) they are then 'validated' using an old fashion card imprinter (like processing a credit card manually). This validation provides the authorisation number and the name of the dealer. The dealer literally has to go through each and every multipart voucher and stamp it.

I'm therefore not sure how these can be exchanged for a discount. The whole point of them is that whilst Subaru may have put aside (or even ordered) a certain quantity of fuel (not physically of course but on paper), they do not receive the full liability of that straight way (unlike giving £3000 away in cash).

For anyone who has bought a car on credit the vouchers on not such a good deal. For those that have bought for cash (and hence you are not paying interest on a loan that would otherwise have been smaller if you could have used the vouchers for a cash discount), its in my view a good deal. If you want that ‘cash’ for other things then the vouchers are a pain. But for me – I need £3000 of fuel over the next 15 months and I now have that put aside. For what its worth I am putting £200 a month cash into savings at the same time.

Mark

One pain - 2/3 have £40 values and 1/3 have £20. That is a pain cos I think you can not put £40 and pay with two vouchers at the same time (since it has to go through in one go). That may mean you need to fill up twice or more in a week.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:14 AM
mollymai
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
How are the vouchers exchangable for cash discount though. Unless the Dealer is given hard cash for returning unused vouchers, then I can't see how that would work.

I'm not saying anyone's wrong, but if I could into a dealer asking for £6K off and they tell me to go **** myself I want some strong ammunition to back me up.
I was told Subaru in an attempt to clear the yards before the next stock comes over were willing to discount the new price by £2500 instead of £3000 of fuel vouchers. My dealer offered me only £21k for my Sti which is only 6 months old and I paid £24k about 3 months ago. That's a crap deal. The reason being I cheekily asked if I could swap mine and £3k for a new when the voucher deal came out so he would give me what I paid for it but he could sell a new one. As I said, I can't complain as I did get a good p/ex on mine. On the basis of this if he had said yes then that would have been a £6k deal, £3k from Subaru and £3k from the dealer but he didn't want to know. Maybe I should try the same with the dealer everyone is refering to?
Old 20 September 2006, 10:56 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mollymai
I was told Subaru in an attempt to clear the yards before the next stock comes over were willing to discount the new price by £2500 instead of £3000 of fuel vouchers. My dealer offered me only £21k for my Sti which is only 6 months old and I paid £24k about 3 months ago. That's a crap deal. The reason being I cheekily asked if I could swap mine and £3k for a new when the voucher deal came out so he would give me what I paid for it but he could sell a new one. As I said, I can't complain as I did get a good p/ex on mine. On the basis of this if he had said yes then that would have been a £6k deal, £3k from Subaru and £3k from the dealer but he didn't want to know. Maybe I should try the same with the dealer everyone is refering to?
So it looks as though all the EU imports are finally forcing UK dealers to sell at more realistic prices keep on buying EU and watch out for more discounts when the EVO X arrives and the Subaru Hatchbacks
Old 20 September 2006, 12:06 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Is this discussion about the 05 car not the 06? where I could see how it may work then as 05 = old stock 06= new stock, soon to be 07 new stock so hence why they would offer a better price on the older models that are sitting waiting to be shifted, a bit like the EVO offer recently which was 19k for the old EVO 8 to get rid of them.

I may be wrong.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:14 PM
mollymai
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Is this discussion about the 05 car not the 06? where I could see how it may work then as 05 = old stock 06= new stock, soon to be 07 new stock so hence why they would offer a better price on the older models that are sitting waiting to be shifted, a bit like the EVO offer recently which was 19k for the old EVO 8 to get rid of them.

I may be wrong.
My existing car is the new Hawkeye ex-demo and the dealer is trying to get me to swap to a brand new Hawkeye. He wants me to give him my car +£3500 for a new one with no fuel vouchers but at a price of £2500 less than rrp. I therefore lose £3000 on my car and give him another £3500 to get a car the same as I already have but with less mileage and 6months wear and tear. They either think I'm dumb or they are they flipin desperate - or maybe both!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 September 2006, 12:16 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

There are good savings to be had off 05my cars - ofcourse there is, 07my varients are already being released into the dealer network, and they need clearing. However there is no way you will get £6000 of a new 06my Sti!

Dealers are literally buying the fuel vouchers off the customer to use themselves - imagine what a dealer spends on fuel in a year!

So theres your £3000, where a further £3000 comes from I don't know, as as far as I'm aware dealers are currently operating on a much smaller margin to accommodate Subaru UK's fuel offer.

Quick Reply: £3000 free petrol or euro import