ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

another fmic thread

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2006, 12:58 AM
moveover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another fmic thread

Been thinking about spending some money on the Scoob performance wise as I have the suspension/brake side sorted.

been thinking about going fmic, not a big intercooler but something where heat soak/det wont be a prob? and I can keep the standard air intake with as little lag as poss. v-mount?

I know the tmic can cope power wise but thinking about the heat soak,drivabilty issue.

MoveOver.
Old 14 November 2006, 11:27 AM
goodo
Scooby Regular

I think on most cars where the filter is mounted horizontally, there's no point filling the filter with oil as it will just spill out all over the floor when you screw it on. If the filter is mounted vertically, then why not fill it with oil? I don't suppose it makes any real dfifference though. Not on the grand scale of things.

People do get very preious about engines. It's not rocket science. The basics apply to engines whetehr they be porsche, VW or Subaru. The engine hasn't got a dry sump, so it's going to be difficult to screw up. Engines are engines, lumps of metal slidin over each other. Mechanical engineering, japanese, and very robust.

Another thing, the Impreza owners handbook has the procedure for changing oil in it. Now do you honestly think that if it was a difficult task that it would be in there? I doubt it.

If you live in fear, then your judgement is clouded and you're far more likely to make mistakes. If you assume all is well, and follow simple procedures, you're far more likely to get it right.

The above is just my opinion.

Goodo
Old 14 November 2006, 01:11 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by goodo
I think on most cars where the filter is mounted horizontally, there's no point filling the filter with oil as it will just spill out all over the floor when you screw it on. If the filter is mounted vertically, then why not fill it with oil? I don't suppose it makes any real dfifference though. Not on the grand scale of things.

People do get very preious about engines. It's not rocket science. The basics apply to engines whetehr they be porsche, VW or Subaru. The engine hasn't got a dry sump, so it's going to be difficult to screw up. Engines are engines, lumps of metal slidin over each other. Mechanical engineering, japanese, and very robust.

Another thing, the Impreza owners handbook has the procedure for changing oil in it. Now do you honestly think that if it was a difficult task that it would be in there? I doubt it.

If you live in fear, then your judgement is clouded and you're far more likely to make mistakes. If you assume all is well, and follow simple procedures, you're far more likely to get it right.

The above is just my opinion.

Goodo
Are we reading the same thread?

What has oil got to do with anything? he is asking about a Front Mounted Intercooler!!!
Old 14 November 2006, 01:14 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moveover
Been thinking about spending some money on the Scoob performance wise as I have the suspension/brake side sorted.

been thinking about going fmic, not a big intercooler but something where heat soak/det wont be a prob? and I can keep the standard air intake with as little lag as poss. v-mount?

I know the tmic can cope power wise but thinking about the heat soak,drivabilty issue.

MoveOver.
You wont be able to keep the standard air intake, or at least i've not heard or seen one that has. You will need an induction kit of some kind. APS, RCMS etc.

If you have a classic, the NewAge STi top mount is a good alternative. Very efficient.