Sponsored by:

EXHAUSTS

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2006, 09:14 AM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUSTS

just a quick one - i'm thinking of changing my exhaust it's currently a prodrive one but it's a bit quiet

I've seen exhaust uk do a twin jap cut or twin twin (double on either side) for three hundred quid and just wanted an opinion on if it's worth it????? or should i get a blitz nur-spec R

Would it need to be remapped (it's my first scooby ) as everything i've been thinking about doing to my car seems to need a remap.

I'm also thinking of increasing the bhp so it would need to cope or would this be done as a package (with the exhaust included)

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 14 September 2006, 09:49 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

I've changed the exhaust on mine from the first cat pipe back, i.e. the cat pipe, centre pipe and back box and was advised by the people on here that I didn't require a remap and its been fine.

Im planning on getting a new downpipe and up pipe but aparrently i'll need a remap if i start chaging the downpipe and/or uppipe so im gonna gonna collect those two parts and probably a few other bits then get it all put on the car just as i get the remap done.
Old 14 September 2006, 11:31 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

exhaust UK, arent they like powerfolw?????

get a revolution sysytem......
Old 14 September 2006, 12:14 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess your talking a custom system built to your spec. If you are i personally would advise against it particularly if you are planning on moding the car. The reason i say this is because i had a quad custom built system for my previous MR2 Roadster and had quite a few problems with it. One of the biggest issues will be that the exhaust gasses will not distribute evenly through the 4 outlets and can even cause back preasure. Other than that you are adding weight to the car and it can lead to damage to the rest of the system due to the extra weight and added movement going over bumps and under hard accelaration, this happened to my MR2 and damaged the cat and thats a car that is designed for a twin system.
This said, i have replaced the exhaust on almost every car i have owned with a custom system and had no problem but in those cases i have not gone far away from standard design, above was the olny time i did and i wont do it again. You will get away with a custom direct replacement without any problems but i would go for a Magnex system or scooby worlds ninja. Both are tried and tested and most will tell you that they are bullet proof and mod friendly.
At the end of the day this is just my opinion and others will disagree but i am just talking from personal experience.
Hope this helps,
Ian
Old 14 September 2006, 12:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby51
I've seen exhaust uk do a twin jap cut or twin twin (double on either side) for three hundred quid and just wanted an opinion on if it's worth it????? or should i get a blitz nur-spec R

I wouldnt consider dealing with ExhaustUK under any circumstances. Look at my location and draw your own conclusions..... As an aside, I visited there a while ago and the arrogant ginger fool who I had the misfortune of dealing with tried to sell me an unbranded (spurious quality & massively over-priced) downpipe and centre; for substantially more than H&S wanted for top quality kit delivered! This was after Id enquired about a custom mandrel bent centre section. To say that he didnt know his **** from his elbow would be an understatement and they didnt even have a mandrel bender for f*cks sake!

Avoid at all costs, unless youre a basecall cap wearing Punto-driving f*ckwit (in which case I probably saw you there in reception reading the provided Max Powers; hello!); stupid enough to pay £300+ for £75-worth of tat.....

Simon
Old 14 September 2006, 01:13 PM
doobieR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
exhaust UK, arent they like powerfolw?????

get a revolution sysytem......

agree the revolution system is excellent and sounds fantastic
Old 14 September 2006, 05:10 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Revolution system
Had a full 3" system inc downpipe my last scoob and downpipe on current at present
Good quality/price and not too loud but a nice note

Cheers
Matt
Old 14 September 2006, 07:36 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

echo what Joek101 said... changing the system cat back you wont need a remap, its only when you de cat the downpipe and up pipe.

As for choice of systems, if you want a loud throaty one go for the afterburner - sound bites of how it sounds available on ScoobyWorld, have a listen!

But must admit Blitz Nur Spec aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhR is ever so highly recommended.

I personally like the custom route ...PowerFlow/Top Gear/Exhausts UK are pants - stay away!

Depanding on where you are sourse a reputible exhaust fabricator that uses the 440 steel and has the machinery to mandrel bend. I recommend a place called Predator in Welwyn (just north outside the M25).

They did my exhausts and I'm very happy with the workman ship! My exhaust system sounds unlike any you've heard... it burbles and rumbles at low revs and when driven sensibly to moderately fast, but when you really open her up... **** me she raws!!!!!!!

pics: (dual side exits)

N/S

O/S

O/S

....ps: this custom exhaust system will soon be for sale as I'm having an even more bonkers system made up!
Old 14 September 2006, 11:14 PM
555-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Smile Blitz Nur Spec R

Well what can i say about this exhaust.......i have one on my 97 wrx and their is no doubt it's probably one of the best sounding exhausts out there, granted the H&S afterburner runs it pretty close for sound and finish...but the blitz has bigger pipe work if you replace both the centre section and backbox as i did, plus it has the added benifit of having a bung to silence it a bit when your on those long motorway drives because i would be a liar if i said you didnt feel a bit deaf when you get out of the car without it in. it takes about 15 minutes to fit and turns heads all the time.
Old 15 September 2006, 10:15 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

what wheels are thy you have on that car?

i had a set off the MY05 STI and they were a different PCD, are they available in the 100mm PCD or have you had major work done?
Old 15 September 2006, 11:05 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

what wheels are thy you have on that car?

i had a set off the MY05 STI and they were a different PCD, are they available in the 100mm PCD or have you had major work done?

They are Milla Miglia 19"'s on 215/35 I think... bought the car with them already on, but the rubber is too thin and I curb the crap out of the wheels all the time, should be 235 I reckon. But I'm not gonna fork out just under a grand for new tyres - sod that! lol!
Old 15 September 2006, 11:19 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

What's all this talk of a remap?

When I went for full de-cat on my MY98 UK Turbo SN advise was not to bother... I am on the standard up pipe though, if that makes a diff?

Perhaps this advise changes per type and year of Scoob?
Old 15 September 2006, 11:22 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

thought they looked a little big.

They are not far off the look of the MY05 onwards STI wheels

nice
Old 15 September 2006, 12:07 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just a quick one - i'm thinking of changing my exhaust it's currently a prodrive one but it's a bit quiet

Would it need to be remapped (it's my first scooby ) as everything i've been thinking about doing to my car seems to need a remap.

I'm also thinking of increasing the bhp so it would need to cope or would this be done as a package (with the exhaust included)

Thanks
I have a PPP'd MY03 WRX which I have recently upgraded some of the exhaust system on.

Prodrive Rear Centre de-cat (part of WRXPPP), H&S De-res Centre, H&S Jap Style BB...no remap, sounds and drives 100% better.

Original Prodrive setup with just their Rear Centre de-cat, original res centre and BB felt lumpy and sounded a bit hollow and quiet.

Hope this helps
Old 15 September 2006, 12:22 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

thought they looked a little big.

They are not far off the look of the MY05 onwards STI wheels

nice

Cheers Fella!
Old 15 September 2006, 01:19 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

TSL Group N system if it was me but as an ex TSL333 owner I would say that wouldn't I .

The TSL exhaust system for me sounded excellent, it was fitted to a 53 plate sti type uk with PPP and TSL333 re-map.

The sound at low speeds had enough burble to satisfy my requirements - but beyond 3,500 - 4,000 rpm it sounded like the devil himself, truly manificent sound .

Rest assured once finances allow, or should I say once the nursery is not fleecing me of in excess of £1200 per month for child care we will have another impreza and a TSL group N exhaust system will be high on my list of must haves along with no doubt the TSL333 remap / conversion.

The thing I miss most about my old impreza is the utterly bonkers performance and the sound.

Quick pic of the tail pipe for you fella.

Each to their own basically, ideally if you can get along to a local meet and listen to what other people have - it's all about personal choice at the end of the day.

Regards

GB
Old 15 September 2006, 01:33 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

personally id give hayward & scott a ring and tell them exactly what you would like and they will make that exhaust up for you, non of this powerflow rubbish where they use off cuts and loads of wealding, h&s will roll the pipe bend where required and just use 1 pipe for the centre/turbo back which minimizes wealds which then means less likley for corosion on wealding causing the exhaust to blow if the wealds break. On my terzo the last owner took it to them and asked for a turbo back 3" iirc all the way through to the back box which was then again custom made to a 4.5" bore and it sounds beautiful quiet at idle loud when giving it some. Give them a try lifetime guarentee and they are fantastic people to talk to! as for re-mapping i would assume you would need it re-mapped but dont quote me on that as exhausts only give a max of 20bhp more at the very most.

jay
Old 15 September 2006, 01:38 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

thanks for all your reply's guys and gals

it's already PPP'd and (apparently) pushing 265 brake hence the prodrive exhaust (from dealer)

and no i dont drive a punto!!!!!!!!! nor have i ever - rover 8 series vitesse 3.1 V6, Astra 2.0 sport, Jeep V8 yes punto no
Old 15 September 2006, 01:40 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

terzo, was just looking at their advert in japanese performance

how spooky
Old 15 September 2006, 01:41 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

ALEX, would that fit a 51 plate WRX?????????????????

Love IT
Old 15 September 2006, 01:45 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

lol that is freeky, tbh my whole days been like that i was looking at a few jobs put the info on a spreadsheet, and the project manager sent over his version with exactly the same info, where he got the info from i dont know coz he doesnt have access to the systems? ohwell, what did they say about h&s scooby?
Old 15 September 2006, 01:53 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

they got sale going on - sept and oct

very good prices
Old 15 September 2006, 01:56 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

and another one going on in dealers

spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooky

Wheres Scooby Doo now with his Mystery Machine(the cartoon dog)
Old 15 September 2006, 05:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

...and no i dont drive a punto!!!!!!!!!
Im glad that my rant didnt fall on deaf ears.....

Old 15 September 2006, 06:43 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

What GC8 said earlier ....I also live local to the place
Old 15 September 2006, 06:53 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Matt; I only went there because Id been led to believe that they were the same firm whod been based on Corporation St (before it was all knocked down); they werent, there was one common person (the old firms proprietors son). They could fabricate anything that you needed and they made a lot of parts for exotics and specials/racers..........

Simon
Old 17 September 2006, 12:17 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Matt; I only went there because Id been led to believe that they were the same firm whod been based on Corporation St (before it was all knocked down); they werent, there was one common person (the old firms proprietors son). They could fabricate anything that you needed and they made a lot of parts for exotics and specials/racers..........

Simon
Ah right, I was under the same impression aswell, was it Ascar or something like that before?
Old 17 September 2006, 05:51 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Whatever exhaust you go for make sure its 3" because if your planning further mods 2.5" are too restrictive. If you have plenty of money, looking to further mod the car and want to go on track days (tighter noise restrictions in the future) then the Pulse extraction exhaust system from TSL motorsport is superb. Its fitted with a cat (so no MOT probs) but it is very pricy .

Wolfie.
Old 17 September 2006, 07:13 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

ALEX, would that fit a 51 plate WRX?????????????????

Love IT

It sure would matey! You need a couple of hangers welded up under there, but other than that it'll bolt straight on!

Having a few teething problems with my new exhaust build so slight delay b4 I'm ready to sell these bad boys!
Old 17 September 2006, 09:31 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Scoobyworld Afterburner Vortex £249.99 that what i have and is been great so far i sold my prodrive 1 for this after spending £350 4 weeks earlier

Quick Reply: EXHAUSTS