Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2006, 11:00 PM
Bil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My review of 2006 Subaru impreza Sti Wrx Standard - ZERO modifications

My review of 2006 Subaru impreza Sti Wrx Standard - ZERO modifications

I am going to indulge myself I reckon and maybe bore you but hey anyway

Well I used to spend every morning on the toilet reading the Subaru brochure on the Sti. Every single morning for 2/3 weeks. In the end I thought f it - I want one

So I went and got one. Logical right. On the lot I could see mine - I feel that was the one. When I drove off there was no fuel in the car so had to go to BP. I put that 102 stuff in.

INTERIOR

I sat in the passengers side (unfortunate that the drivers of STIs do not get to sit in the passenger side unless you have another half who can drive it) coz sometimes by sitting in the passenger side - ur not holding the steering wheel so you can actually get to appreciate the car more.

The blue fabric covered front seats with black bolsters are cool to look at. I find the seats are extremely easy to adjust back and forward and up and down. I also found the child seat (not bought from Subaru was extremely easy to fit in and it did fit in behind the drivers side without a problem).

The instrument panel has silver rings around the dials and red light up display. The red lighting is adjustable and can be very sharp or completely dimmed out (which is great depending on how much sleep you have had and what your eyes can handle - not that your really looking there but sometimes you do)

The internal reading lights are white though (compare to Ford ST which has Red submarine lighting ) - but not big deal - the internal reading light is big and powerful.

There is a outside temp reading digital thing as well - handy for knowing when to use the water spray

Exterior

This 2006 STI now looks like a Fighter Jet with the new sleek pointy front. I love it.

The car isn’t low and this is great too as sometimes I hit kerbs (2% of time) and I know the bumper and lip spoiler wont get ripped off. In the dark the headlights look great and blue colour.

You can hear the burr burr burr of the Exhaust at idle if you stand by it. It isn’t loud but it is there.

Performance:

This car is the bomb. Or the S Bomb if you want a new A Bomb.

Driving slowly - if you put both front windows full down you will not hear the whisssh whissh turbo sound after changing gear (maybe too windy). If you lower the driver side window by about 5 cm, you will hear, when driving slowly, the whissshh whissh after gear change and it sounds bloody marvellous

Driving fast - WINDOWS UP - floor it and you wont hear anything outside the car other than tyre road roar. BUT what you do get is when you floor it is……….. You can hear the engine softly revving up … gets to 5.5 change …floor it… third gear…. Car surges ahead and keeps surging….6 revs…. Tsssssskkkkkkkkkkk (can hear that sharply as car is going fast now)…..change to fourth and Surge…. Coming up to right bend about a 50 degree turn right, change to fifth … STI clings like a ******* LIMPET, Round the bend , foot fall down and into 6th. Car keeps going and going and going …. POINT IS this is all REFINED POWER. You can feel the refinement - its not that untuned thrust of a cossie turbo anymore… this STI is power on TAP ….as long as the rev range is right

Standing Start -- no use letting it go to 6 or 7, as I can feel car strains to do it, so only once ever have I floored it in first to 5.5, fast change to second to 5.5 again, fast change in 3rd to 6 and fast to fourth, The car screws and screws round a left bend and traffic light coming. The brakes are hardcore - they stop the car like a cement truck has just poured hot cement in front of you and it has hardened. THIS car will STOP ANYWHERE, ANYPLACE, ANYTIME - just hit those brakes and you are laughing.

This Car will cling to bends like Lockitite Superglue (Other than when its done a knight rider jump on me twice BUT it still came down Bog tite on the road afterwards). You can throw the 2006 Sti around a bend and it will not go off the bend. The steering is tighter than a gnat’s ***. And you can steer and throw this car around bends till your blue in the face and it wont let you down. How do I know? I found some 5 miles of pure woodland around where I live and its full of twisty tracks with no speed cams and no people around, so late at night you can go there and rip it about those turns and bends. All safe as far as I am concerned. There are no houses in that area - its like a little known place off a motorway.

The scoop on the front - oddly I don’t notice it much when I drive - but sometimes I remind myself to take a quick look.

The CD is easy to turn on and off, and the controls are easy - there’s a neat traffic button which is useful - I just hit that and the news comes on.

I fin the aircon is tremendous.

Suspension - I aint had no problems - keep bouncing up and down till ur blue in the face again

The intercooler water spray - press it repeatedly like a madman , and you can hear it whir from the back.

I find the gearshift is ridiculously smooth now

The car seems to have become better now its done some miles

The car is great and I want it back.
Old 01 September 2006, 11:22 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Well Bil that’s certainly a different style of review I must say. I guess you like the car again now that you’ve got your problems sorted out with it.

Perhaps you can fill in for Clarkson’s Sunday Times motoring section when he goes away on his holidays?
Old 01 September 2006, 11:25 PM
Bil
Scooby Regular

Robocop --- your third film was ****e mate no offense - you seen it - it sucked badly

One and two were Good

then you made some Tv mini Series which was just okay

i hear they r remaking Robocop 1
Old 01 September 2006, 11:31 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

LOL... that reads like the stories kids have to write about what they did on their school holidays, first day back in.

This bit is a gem....

Originally Posted by Bil

The CD is easy to turn on and off, and the controls are easy - there’s a neat traffic button which is useful - I just hit that and the news comes on.
Tony (who finds his MY06 CD hard to turn on )
Old 01 September 2006, 11:40 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

After about 3 months of not visiting the general section due to the amount of **** in it, I thought I'd try it again.. guess what.