Sponsored by:

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2006, 12:59 PM
paulmcnally
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing my weird vibration noise...

Happens in every gear, always at 4250rpm, can briefly and quietly be heard at 4250rpm whilst driving and slowly increasing the throttle. Can be heard longer and louder if accelerate to 4500rpm and then come off the throttle allowing the revs to lower under its own power past 4250rpm.

The vibration is a metallic type humming noise, similar in type to the noise you get when you blow on a comb and paper.

I've tried taking revs up to 4500rpm and then off power and clutch pedal pressed and it doesn't seem to do it, but maybe this is because once the clutch is in the revs drop so fast past 4250 that there isn't time for the effect to happen!?!

Looking at other threads I've seen suggestions of heatshields or damaged/worn up-pipes, any suggestions or anyone else have/had a similar problem.

Oh, if it helps, its a 52 plate WRX STI Type Uk

Thanks for any advice... Paul
Old 01 September 2006, 01:47 PM
ralphandcarol
Scooby Regular

If a better description is like gently blowing over the top of a bottle then it is almost certainly a weak dumpvalve.
Replace the OEM one with a good qual;ity (Forge M/sport) recirc one.

Ralph
Old 01 September 2006, 02:07 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Had exactly the same on my MY02 WRX STI.

Traced to a loose / broken bracket on the turbo heatshield. Not the easiest area to get to unless you've got small hands or can get underneath the car.

Mark
Old 01 September 2006, 03:54 PM
paulmcnally
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps...

ralphandcarol: thanks for the suggestion but its sounds more like a metallic vibration

dark: thanks dark, thought that it would be the heatshield, car is going in for a service soon so I'll get them to take a look at it

just wanted to get some advice about what it could potentially could be before taking it for the service and being bamboozled by mechanic jargon!

Paul
Old 01 September 2006, 07:13 PM
STI IOW
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like your downpipe from the turbo, it has 2 heatsheilds, an outer 1 that you can see, and an inner 1, its the inner 1 thats causes the problem, the weld on the pipe splits making it loose, this is due to the heat from the turbo, the only way to sort it is by removing and welding it back up,its a common problem with the new age scoobs, i had the same problem with my03 sti, took it back to the dealer who changed it for a prodrive downpipe.