Sponsored by:

Private Plate transfer

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2006, 06:55 PM
MarkGArgyle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Private Plate transfer

Given up trying to understand the DVLA site - It is late and I cannot work it out for love or money!

Can someone please put in plain English the steps I need to take to transfer my personalised registration bought recently, onto my Scoob (which is currently on an 06 plate)?

i.e. Forms required, place to go, how long to transfer etc.

Thanks Scoobynetters!
Old 30 August 2006, 07:00 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Jesus, don@t want much do ya, just nip along toyour local DVLA centre and take your log book, tax disc and MOT cert along with the details of the new plate fill out a form and hey presto they will do the rest

What the form is i have no idea as i can't remember but im sure a sn'tter will know it
Old 30 August 2006, 07:02 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

Go to the DVLA offices in Llanishen (just after M&S) they will explain it to you. It's easy
Old 30 August 2006, 07:05 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

This is from personal experience a few years back:

Get new plates made up (if you can, you'll have to take your retention cert in to Halfords or wherever - back when I did this, they'd make up any old plate, no proof required!!!) , ensure you can switch them over, take tools with you! Make sure plastic plate retaining screws will not break apart when you take old plates off in street (don't ask me how I know this).

Take car reg V5 document, retention certificate, cheque book and insurance document to DVLA office nearest you.

Wait ages in queue, fill in forms on knee while you wait (additional forms will be in a leaflet rack in the DVLA office).

Get served, part with your money, they'll print you up a new tax disc there and then.

Leave office, switch your plates over and phone your insurance co to advise (unless you already did that)

Your new V5 comes in the post. Your old plate no. is history, when you transfer the plate off again, you won't get it back normally.

Apologies if process has changed, but - hey - no one else posted a response yet! (edit - Oh, now thay have!!! I forgot the MOT bit too!
Old 02 September 2006, 09:35 AM
MarkGArgyle
Scooby Regular

Cheers - Why do they alway make these things sound more complicated than they are?
Old 02 September 2006, 11:35 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crosstalk
Your old plate no. is history, when you transfer the plate off again, you won't get it back normally.
DVLA told us that 99% of the time the original plate IS returned... Mrs spec'c' has had 2 cars where the original was returned also my dad had just had the same...
Old 02 September 2006, 09:17 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
DVLA told us that 99% of the time the original plate IS returned... Mrs spec'c' has had 2 cars where the original was returned also my dad had just had the same...
Correct. Same number has always gone back on the 7 cars I've had on cherished numbers