Sponsored by:

Squeaky noise whilst driving ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2006, 03:13 PM
shammel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Squeaky noise whilst driving ?

I have an 03 WRX 27000 miles full decat and remap.

The last few days i've noticed a squeaking noise coming from the car whilst moving.
It's not there when the car is stationary and it only gets faster with the motion of the car and not the revs of the engine which is making me hope it's not too serious !
It's quite loud and very annoying as you can imagine and before anyone says it i've already checked for mice !!!!!

Has anyone ever come across this before or has anyone got any suggestions as to what this might be and how it could be fixed ?
Old 24 August 2006, 04:02 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Mine's doing this at the moment. It's coming from the NSF wheel area. Had it up on stands today to try and identify the fault but can't pinpoint it. Brakes don't affect it, and they all seem to be working fine. Sudden bumps don't affect it, ruling out suspension components. I can only think it might be the wheel bearing, CV joint or drive shaft
Old 24 August 2006, 04:27 PM
cbowditch
Scooby Newbie

I've got a loud squeak that comes from my rear axle. I had new rear disks and pads and that didnt cure it. I've just put up with it for over a year now. I've noticed that pulling hand brake up to first notch causes noise to go away. Although I'm not sure thats a good idea or not
Old 24 August 2006, 04:40 PM
shammel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Mine's doing this at the moment. It's coming from the NSF wheel area. Had it up on stands today to try and identify the fault but can't pinpoint it. Brakes don't affect it, and they all seem to be working fine. Sudden bumps don't affect it, ruling out suspension components. I can only think it might be the wheel bearing, CV joint or drive shaft
I was thinking the same sort of thing. I have noticed that it seems to go away sometimes when turning the wheel in any direction.
Also i live in Cumbria and went to Edinburgh last week (about 3hrs drive) and after about a hour the squeak went and didn't return until i drove the car the next morning ! Was wondering if it goes away when the car gets hot ?
Old 24 August 2006, 04:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

cbowditch, yours is the rear parking shoe/drum binding. They get filled with dust over the years and start squealing at low (<5mph) speeds. Pull the handbrake on whilst doing 15-20mph and leave it on for a hundred yards or so, it should clear it.

shammel, mine seems to get worse after about 1/2 hours driving. Not done any longer distances recently to see if it goes, but I doubt things get any hotter than after 15 minutes of driving anyhow. Mine gets worse when turning right, when the weight gets pushed to the NS, and eases a little on right turns.
Old 24 August 2006, 04:48 PM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

i've got the same squeak on my 99 uk turbo. front near side wheel. seems to be at it's loadest going over tiny bumps. new disks and pads last week and that didn't sort it so i think its gonna go to the garage to be looked at just because it's driving me mad.
Old 24 August 2006, 04:51 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Sounds like wheel bearing failure guys - wierd sound on a scooby - not like the normal wheel bearing failure sound.

Check out your bearings quickly - as leaving it too long could result in knackered stub axles too - then it starts to get very expensive....

Trending Topics

Old 24 August 2006, 04:57 PM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terryb
Sounds like wheel bearing failure guys - wierd sound on a scooby - not like the normal wheel bearing failure sound.

Check out your bearings quickly - as leaving it too long could result in knackered stub axles too - then it starts to get very expensive....
First thing i thought of was bearings mate but already had them checked and there ok. just wish i knew what it was! it's driving me