Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2000, 12:24 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Dave,

Arrogant is right! The conversation with one dealer went like this;

me: I'm ringing up to see if you have any information on the new model Impreza?

salesman: Hmpf....join the club mate.

Is the dealer doing me a favour by allowing me to purchase a car from him? I'm sure it's supposed to be th other way round.
Mind you, comments like "We don't need to sell these mate, they sell themselves", are a sure fire way of driving ALL potential British customers to parallel import their required choice.

blubs

Old 30 October 2000, 12:33 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

This is how it was with the old 12 months ago when I bought mine new. In retrospect I would have been better off waiting a while and buying a relatively recent secondhand model. With this in mind I'm not going to rush replacing my 99 model. No test drive no purchase, no discount no purchase will be the mantra. If I have to wait or go elsewhere so be it there is so much competition out there I'm not getting hung up about what badge is on the front.
Old 30 October 2000, 12:37 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Red face

I wonder what is causing this attitude in the dealers!
When the Impreza was little known, and they were winning JD Power surveys there was a select few driving Scoobs with big smiles on their faces as they had been let into a really great secret.
Now the Subaru is more mainstream and the people with the smiles are driving Evo's.
Until of course, the next alternative icon arrives.
In hindsight, why do you think the New Age Impreza is soooo ugly?
Old 30 October 2000, 12:45 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bajie,

I think it has turned ugly as a result of the attempt to make it more appealing to the average car owner. The old model was brutal looking, but hence different. The new model must conform to certain parameters to be 'mainsteam', which is why it can easily be compared to many existing other makes, such as Corolla, Neon etc.

blubs
Old 30 October 2000, 12:50 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Blubs

I really hope you're right.
I will drive NAI [TLA's love em].
What is promising is the fact only the headlights are driving us crazy. The rest of the car has potential.
When Prodrive play with it, lets hope they put a front mounted intercooler on.
Otherwise its gonna cost an even bigger fortune to get the new one to have the same visual appeal as my Terzo.
Old 30 October 2000, 12:54 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

toyota starlet,

nuff said
Old 30 October 2000, 09:27 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

..................this.

Even though I'm not totally convinced by the new Scoob look, I've been going through the motions of buying by sussing out waiting lists, availablility etc.

My UK spec car will be two years old in March and I would like it changed by then. After ringing around a few dealers it seems that the situation is thus;

A 1k deposit is required and if I wait until next March to put it down, then I will probably not take delivery of the car that same year.

Put the deposit down now, but on a car that I have not even seen in the flesh, never mind driven. Most dealers can't get you any literature on a new car, never mind a possible test drive date. They all say it is unlikely they will ever have a long term demonstrator as the waiting lists will ensure no 'extra' cars will be available for this purpose.

They understandably therefore cannot give me an accurate estimation of the part exchange price for my vehicle (which is worth washers in the light of import availability).

I think, if I really want the new model, then the only route to go is sell my car now very cheaply (10k for example), buy a banger to run around in and then put away some money every month to absolve the slump in value of my car.

I'm not being pessimistic and it might be different in other UK locations, but I must admit I'm a little weary of the "Everyone wants one so you'll just have to stick your money down and hope you like it" attitude of the dealers.

Anyone feel the same or am I just getting intolerant?

blubs

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2000, 09:31 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

It is totally outrageous to consider buying a performance car without even driving/looking at it. Would they give a money back guarantee if you dont like it ? They should do considering they suggest there will be no problem selling them !
Old 30 October 2000, 10:08 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

blubs,

If the look of the car will impact your decision to buy or not then you should DEFINATELY see one in the flesh before you order. I saw a few at the motor show on Saturday and have to say that the experience would put me off buying them.
As a side point I also spotted that one of the WRX's had the proper one piece sport seats while another WRX had the 'not so good' two piece seats that I think are standard in the sport model. Are the one piece seats now an option on the WRX??
Old 30 October 2000, 10:12 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Why are they asking for a 1k deposit when 250 pounds will get you on the BMW waiting list?
What are other manufacturers asking you to pay for the privilege of waiting 6-12 months for your car.
Wonder if they put these deposits in a high interest account or under a toolbox out the back ...
Old 30 October 2000, 10:18 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

It is a bit like buying a new Hi-fi without listening to it just because someone who wants to make a profit says that it sounds good. I'm not sure that is a good idea. Driving as listening to music is a personal subjective thing. I'll be sitting tight until there is a demonstrator availabe to drive and try not to get drawn in by the salesman's hype.

Brendan
Old 30 October 2000, 10:57 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Incredible I know, but this almost sounds like IM being arrogant. Whatever next - trains that run on time???
Old 30 October 2000, 11:16 AM
goose
Scooby Newbie

Blubs is right to wait and see / drive it first. I've had the same problem and been waiting several months for the new model to become available. Now i've been and seen it, i KNOW i don't want one. It can be the best driving car in the world but i just wouldn't be happy with that 'monstrous carbunkle' parked up outside my house.

I've done as blubs suggests - sold previous car and run something cheap while waiting to see what the new scoob turned out like.

So with the WRX off the list, it's time to start booking some test drives.

L8r
Goose
Old 30 October 2000, 11:28 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Wink

My advise is simple....by this time next year there will be a glut of available cars of all specs...your car ain't going to be worht that much less and by then all the teething probs, nitty gritty, tests, likes , dislikes will be open for factual discussion.
I went across to Japan to test drive, view and enquire about the 01 I've bought, there again it is a special edition and I'm parting with circa £40k !
Old 30 October 2000, 11:45 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

I'm with mellow on this one. I wouldn't be inclined toward buying the first phase of the 01 car. There will be modifications/improvements. Your car will not I'm sure depreciate as wildly as the dealers are suggesting. I'm hanging on to mine for at least another 12 months.
Jason