Possibly sold a 'stolen' car by garage

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 08:26 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Possibly sold a 'stolen' car by garage

Hi all,

Wondered what my rights were in this situation? Bought a second hand car from a non-franchise dealer in April. I tried getting a valuation on part exchange and the HPI is saying the car has an insurance stolen mark against it in dec 04. Now we bought the car April 06 so when the dealer sold us the car, surely technically it was not his to sell? We have been to the police who said there is no alert on the vehicle or police interest. So that means we know it's not a stolen car but where do we stand? It sounds like an insurance company somewhere may have an interest in the car but I don't know how to get this cleared up and it's making selling the car very awkward.

One dealer said I should have comeback with the garage as 'it wasn't his to sell' at the time? Do you agree, if so that could make things easier if I could go back and demand he takes the car back for a partial refund?

HELP!?
Old 21 August 2006, 08:35 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Anybody?
Old 21 August 2006, 08:43 AM
silverstrike
Scooby Regular

it sounds to me as though an insurance company has had an interest at one point, but they have forgot to update the file on that car,so it will still show on an HPI.. if it was HOT then the police would have kindly taken it from you by now...

find the previous owner, and get his insurance details for the car..
it could have been stolen recovered, but he could have already been payed out, so the car went to auction.. hence why the garage had it...

hope this helps
Old 21 August 2006, 08:52 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that silverstrike, just trying to sort it out through HPI at the moment - they are looking into the matter. Most dealers said similar to you and aren't concerned, one prat as much as called us thieves over the phone, said he should report us for trying to move a stolen car. After a few choice words back, he said he'd approach HPI and get back to us - not heard back since!
Old 21 August 2006, 09:06 AM
silverstrike
Scooby Regular

yeah buddy, i've had dealings with HPI in the past, and i can tell you they arent 100% efficient.. I know this is what you pay for, as buying a car is the 2nd biggest thing you will own... but HPI get the thumbs down when it comes to accuracy.....
Old 21 August 2006, 09:09 AM
Noki
Scooby Regular

It is more than likely a recovered car.

The garage you originally bought it from should have done the HPI check on it before they sold it to you.

As said before contact the previous owner. It looks as though the insurance company has forgot or has not had any instruction to close the file. Thus still showing as stolen.

The previous owner will have to phone the insurance company to say the car was recovered and the file will then be closed.

I just dont understand why the garage never did an HPI. Or if they did fail to tell you it was on the stolen register.
Old 21 August 2006, 09:48 AM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i bought an astra gsi YEARS ago and didn't hpi it - was a 1 owner car atthe time so i bought it - was a colleague from work. anyway about a year later when i sold it a buyer came hpi'd it and it showed up as a 'condition alart'

so i got in contact with the previous owner who told me the car got stolen whilst in his possession - he reported it to the police/insurance co. however the car was found 2 days later with only the locks damaged - the owner got the car back with the locks repaired but hpi never took it off there system even after 4 years after the incident.

Anyway my colleague contacted his insurance who got in contact with the hpi company and it was taken off the system within days...

sounds like a similar thing could have happened to your car.

Raf
p.s. ALWAYS HPI A CAR YOURSELF WHETHER YOU BUY FROM A FRIEND / PRIVATE OR DEALER......!
Old 21 August 2006, 02:15 PM
redxiii
Scooby Regular

I'm confused somewhat, surely if a car has been stolen at some point in it's life then HPI should highlight that when a check is requested, (although it shouldn't list it as currently stolen agreed) it's not exactly much use to buyers if owners can remove bits of history at a later date.