Default wrc trouble

what is happening to the subaru team the wrc
Old 21 August 2006, 09:55 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're ****.

Hope that helped

Seriously though, I think Solberg has taken over from Colin "McCrash". He seems to crash far too often. Subaru have lost the edge that their rivals seem to have (Citren, Ford).
As much as I'm a Solberg fan, I think Subaru would benefit if the parted company, and drafted in new blood.

I also think that the tyres may have a lot to do with it. If Subaru moved to Goodrich tyres, I think their performance would improve.

Was watching it on ITV yesterday, and was thinking just how long it will be before Subaru pull out of the WRC, just like Mitsubishi did when they stopped winning.
Old 21 August 2006, 11:47 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Norman who is a Rally Driver sponsored by Foresters in the West Midlands.

He also does Marshalling at WRC Rallys and spoke to the Subaru Team Drivers. He reckoned they said, it's the new shape.

Apparently it's a couple of inches taller than the previous shape and, this makes a bit of a difference. They reckoned if the had the old shape they could shave time off big time.

Norman is sound guy and, don't think he would make that up.

If this is true the old saying" If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 21 August 2006, 11:54 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stilover
I also think that the tyres may have a lot to do with it. If Subaru moved to Goodrich tyres, I think their performance would improve.
Pirelli are pulling out of the WRC at the end of this season, so Subaru will indeed have new rubber for next year!
Old 21 August 2006, 01:00 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Pirelli are pulling out of the WRC at the end of this season, so Subaru will indeed have new rubber for next year!
I think this will make all the difference. The Pirelli/Subaru partnership has been failing for years.

IMO everyone accepts that the Pirellis are no good on tarmac and this just puts increased pressure on Solberg to perform on the loose surface rallys, like Finand, where he subsequetly fails under the pressure to perform.

Go Gigi Galli always exciting to watch.
Old 21 August 2006, 01:03 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terzo204
Go Gigi Galli always exciting to watch.
That man needs a Works drive. Fantastic to watch
Old 21 August 2006, 01:23 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan MaC
Spoke to Norman who is a Rally Driver sponsored by Foresters in the West Midlands.

He also does Marshalling at WRC Rallys and spoke to the Subaru Team Drivers. He reckoned they said, it's the new shape.

Apparently it's a couple of inches taller than the previous shape and, this makes a bit of a difference. They reckoned if the had the old shape they could shave time off big time.

Regards

Alan MaC

Bollocks

**** workmen always blame there tools.

Put me beind the wheel of a quater of a million £££ car and i'll get you a championship or two
Old 21 August 2006, 01:24 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

After my slating of pirelli I now remember that he drives for team Pirelli Italy!

Doh!
Old 21 August 2006, 01:27 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
Bollocks

**** workmen always blame there tools.
A considered reply and i think partly true.

Solberg needs to be consistant and this is where he falls short. just signed a 4 year deal tho' I believe.
Old 21 August 2006, 02:02 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Pirrelli have invented a black grease like substance that thay have moulded into a round form - Remarkable really !!

As I've said in other threads at least the Subaru rally car resembles the road going version. How many 4 wheel drive turbocharged Citroens, Fords, etc, do you see driving about ??

And who would aspire to driving a Citroen ?? Not many !!

Some would call it cheating !!
Old 21 August 2006, 07:04 PM
jonnyrex
Scooby Regular

It seems from going from 2 doors to 4 doors is the problem
Old 21 August 2006, 08:55 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

I thought the handling on Solbergs car looked awful at the weekend, the fords, Citroens and even the old 206's looked really planted - over the jumps the Impreza just seemed to dive bigtime ffs

Can't be just tyres, something basic aint right with the new shape - even more than just the looks..........
Old 22 August 2006, 09:21 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Alan MaC]Spoke to Norman who is a Rally Driver sponsored by Foresters in the West Midlands.

TOLD YOU IT WAS THE SHAPE

Even the Scooby Drivers Said So.
Old 22 August 2006, 09:38 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SivMY05Sti
over the jumps the Impreza just seemed to dive bigtime ffs
I thought the exact same thing.

Hirvonen (spell check) looked awsome on the jumps in his Focus.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:20 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I think the whole WRC has gone to pot.

The recent rule changes have not made it better, as some said it would, it's just lost some of the best drivers and made it less of a competition.

Something like 5m difference between 1st & 6th. In previous years it was a matter of seconds, making it a race to the finish, not cruising on Day 3.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:32 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I agree with the fact the rules should be changed to state that the drivetrain of the car a team decides to rally must resemble that of a road going car on sale.

Example: 4WD Fords etc..

Not only would it make rallying better, but also might force the manufacturers to get poteintial great cars on the road.. like a Focus RS 4WD.
Old 22 August 2006, 01:05 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

tbh, I've not watched the WRC in ages. It's soooooo boring now Plus the fact that Subaru just aren't competetive anymore.

Solberg has never been the same since he won the World Championship. Seems like he's reached his goal and is quite content to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Even though I left Subaru-ownership early this year, I still like watching the cars, but there's even bigger problems with the WRC - the administration of it. Stupid rules, no real competition, poor viewing figures....

An unhappy cocktail........

Can't see it lasting tbh, unless something drastic is done.

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 22 August 2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 22 August 2006, 01:08 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan MaC

Regards

Alan MaC
Norman seems to be forgetting that Petter Solberg won the World Championship in 2003 using what is basically the current shape car.
Old 22 August 2006, 02:16 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
tbh, I've not watched the WRC in ages. It's soooooo boring now Plus the fact that Subaru just aren't competetive anymore.

Solberg has never been the same since he won the World Championship. Seems like he's reached his goal and is quite content to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Even though I left Subaru-ownership early this year, I still like watching the cars, but there's even bigger problems with the WRC - the administration of it. Stupid rules, no real competition, poor viewing figures....

An unhappy cocktail........

Can't see it lasting tbh, unless something drastic is done.

Dan
At least it's not F1!

I have followed the WRC for probably 6 to 7 years now and it's not as exciting as when Burnsie, Tommi Mac and 'Mccrash' were about, but Galli, Hirvonen etc are all keeping it alive for me. I'm enjoying watching the likes of Matt Wilson and Guy Wilks and don't think the sport is in crisis. Suzuki and Cirtoen are comming back in 2007 so it looks like the sport will only grow from hereafter. Viewing figures have never been higher

Totally disagree that Solberg is happy to sit back having won the WRC. He looked like he was going to cry at the weekend when he crashed out!
Old 22 August 2006, 02:23 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Have to admit I'm gunning for Gronholm to win this year.
Old 22 August 2006, 02:40 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Top Tip, keep an eye out for Guy Wilks
He was spending quite a but of time around the Subaru camp in WRC Germany.
Old 23 August 2006, 11:44 AM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxtankie
Top Tip, keep an eye out for Guy Wilks
He was spending quite a but of time around the Subaru camp in WRC Germany.
Guy Wilks ( )driving for SWRT in 2007 - That would be excellent!
Old 23 August 2006, 04:31 PM
staffychance
Scooby Regular

a local lad (Darlington Area) driving for SUBARU would be good, he's talented too, cant do much worse than Petter,Stephane and Chris.

What about young chris meeke he did well in a scoob at last years WRC.
Old 23 August 2006, 04:49 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

What about young chris meeke he did well in a scoob at last years WRC.

And crashed (again) while leading the JWRC in Finland.

Dont think he would be an improvement over Atkinson - and thats not saying much.

Subaru need a decent number 2 (or even 1 if they are better than Solberg), and time next year to get used to BF Goodrich.

The WRC has certainly gone down hill in the last couple of years but then again its had its "lean" times in the past and bounced back.
Old 23 August 2006, 05:37 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
bigger problems with the WRC - the administration of it. Stupid rules, no real competition, poor viewing figures....

An unhappy cocktail.......
Dan your right

Tony
Old 23 August 2006, 05:38 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by marmski
I agree with the fact the rules should be changed to state that the drivetrain of the car a team decides to rally must resemble that of a road going car on sale.

but also might force the manufacturers to get poteintial great cars on the road.. like a Focus RS 4WD.
The rules IIRC were put in place to Help other manufactures compete in the WRC and stop 4WD like Audi Mitzzy and Subaru winning everthing. Also banned 6R4's....... all so the French could win it all.

So what help now from the WRC to the genuine 4WD car manufactures !!!!!! soon every car in the WRC will be of non 4WD origin

Now what ever did happen to that £10k deposit with no spec and release date, So Noooooooo takers then

IMHO

Tony
Old 23 August 2006, 05:52 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyrex
It seems from going from 2 doors to 4 doors is the problem

I feel a "25B" or a type R coming on!!
Old 24 August 2006, 01:49 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

its alittle bit boring at the mo beacuse Seb Loeb is so strong - he never finishes any lower than 2nd most of the time. I was thrilled to know Pirelli are moving away from Subaru next year as they arnt competitve any more. Solberg still one of the top 4 drivers in the world, he is just having an off season and alot of bad luck - especially at the end of last year (Kangaroo, rock on the racing line that no one else had seen before the went through the stage!)

Im sure they will pull it back, the new car is unreliable and getting rid of David Lapworth was a bad idea after 20 odd years of service!
Old 24 August 2006, 02:06 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MickeyWRX
its alittle bit boring at the mo beacuse Seb Loeb is so strong - he never finishes any lower than 2nd most of the time. I was thrilled to know Pirelli are moving away from Subaru next year as they arnt competitve any more. Solberg still one of the top 4 drivers in the world, he is just having an off season and alot of bad luck - especially at the end of last year (Kangaroo, rock on the racing line that no one else had seen before the went through the stage!)

Im sure they will pull it back, the new car is unreliable and getting rid of David Lapworth was a bad idea after 20 odd years of service!
Totally agree MickeyWRX.

Sounds like someone who actually knows whats going on in the WRC

If it's next year that Citroen change to the C4 then, bearing in mind all competitiors will have BF Goodrich tyres, I think it could be Subaru's year.

Solberg never has any luck. His car is constantly breaking too.

What about the Stig in a privateer drive for Subaru????
Old 24 August 2006, 05:03 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

I am annoyed at Petters problems as I was supposed to meet him on Saturday night, but after his crash he decided to sulk instead (thanks to Phil for making the effort though).

It is getting a little boring waiting for the car and driver to be reliable, but I will hang in there.

I really hope things will get better soon.

Quick Reply: wrc trouble