ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dump Valves??? any help im a noob

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2006, 06:28 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump Valves??? any help im a noob

Hi all, am wondering whether or not to bother getting a dump valve, only had my 2000 classic for a couple of months and dont know too much about them apart from they drink petrol, all good tho
Are they really easy to fit (im not at all confident when it comes to tinkering with engine stuff), and would rather pay someone who knows what there doing.Also is it a worth while mod to have apart from the noise?

seen this one on scooby world http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=99 its the first ive looked at, dont want it really loud just a medium pissssssss will do, any help would be wicked
Old 18 August 2006, 06:30 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

Whats wrong with the standard one it came with?
Old 18 August 2006, 06:34 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

didnt know they already had one??? well if it has i cant hear it, told you im a noob! are they very quiet or something
Old 18 August 2006, 06:38 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Talking

They recirculate the waste air back into the system, so dont make a noise.
Old 18 August 2006, 06:42 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

So is it not really gonna make a difference apart from the noise then if i did get one
Old 18 August 2006, 06:44 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

try the search facility
Old 18 August 2006, 06:52 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

cheers guys some good info comin up using the search, not too sure weather or not to bother now,
will have a good read, thanks for the help tho
Old 18 August 2006, 06:53 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by speedymonkey
So is it not really gonna make a difference apart from the noise then if i did get one
No there just for the noise, and will probably make your car run worse.
Old 18 August 2006, 06:57 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The O/E DV does the job quite adequatelty. Replacing the DV with an after market item will not add power or performance to your vehicle unless your existing is defective (they last for years) but if you like scaring old grannies at the bus stop then a vent to atmosphere DV could be for you. These make a psh sort of noise as you lift the throttle as the induction air escapes from the inlet system before it gets back to the turbo.
Typical new price, say £115 for something mid market.
There are better things to spend your money on if you want to improve performance and efficiency.
Old 18 August 2006, 06:57 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you want a sweat noise that does not effect the performance of the car then get a plastic DV off a 97/98 car and fit it to your MY00, it will make a sweat whistling noise without the harsh whoosh of a VTA and also the popping and banking from the exhaust.

One problem you will get though is the pipe for the 97/98 DV is bigger than that of the 99/00 so you will need to be ingenious with the return piping.

I had a VTA on mine and it caused popping, banging and flames from the exhaust, which I thought was cool but the car was not smooth but I dismissed this as I liked the noises along with compressor stall chirping, it was only when I had it remapped and found that my VTA DV was leaking and the popping and banging was not ideal, and I changed back to a 97/98 DV I realised how bad a VTA DV actually was, now my car is so smooth and a real pleasure to drive, and the noise it now makes well and truely outweighs the flames, wooshing and chirping that a VTA causes.
Old 18 August 2006, 07:02 PM
JJstiuk
Scooby Regular

An uprated bov can be used to eliminate compressor surge when changing gears. Excessive back pressure is created when the throttle is closed during gear changes or deceleration, causing turbo cavitation. This is detrimental to the life of your turbocharger, however fitting a BOV will substantially improve this problem. By installing a BOV you will significantly reduce turbo spool up time. You will notice a substantial improvement in response from your turbo between gearshifts. Boost will come on earlier giving an increase in torque at lower RPM*.

Wouldnt bother with a bailey one though, get something that is built properly like the HKS SSQV Blow off Valve, ya can find one on here http://www.j-w-racing.co.uk/acatalog...ff_Valves.html bout half way down the page... I actually have one of these on my sti and its perfect, not to load but a definate tissshhh

* Taken from google search.

Last edited by JJstiuk; 18 August 2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 18 August 2006, 07:14 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

And if you do go for the HKS SSQV Bov then do not plan on tuning your car to much as it is apparently the worst aftermarket BOV on the market for leaking, it may sound cool but put any serious boost through it and it will leak worse than siv, it has the weakest spring of all aftermarket BOVs.
Old 18 August 2006, 07:29 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Just been reading up using the search tool, and without realising it it seems like this sort of post (dump valves yes/no) is really divided, so hope no-one starts to fight. Im not gonna bother with one, as someone once said 'if it aint broke then dont try to fix it'.
Just always kinda liked the sound but this is the first time ive had a powerfull car and i dont want to risk having anything fixed in the near future.
Thanks for taking the time to respond tho guys, its nice to get good advice from people who know about these things, just dont really know what to do to it when ive got some dosh for mods

Last edited by speedymonkey; 18 August 2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 18 August 2006, 09:18 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I tried a vta (vent to atmosphere) dumpvalve on both my old sti 4 and my current UK MY99 Turbo. Not impressed with either. They make the jerky, INCREASE LAG and to be honest, really do sound rather naff. Spend the money on a nice backbox/downpipe instead!
Old 18 August 2006, 10:03 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

I've had my Greddy (sp?) VTA DV removed today to improve my mpg, within 2 minutes of driving away from the garage i'm having it refitted tomorrow, not bothered by the sound but personally think the car is quicker with it (seems to spool quicker and the pulls stronger). Car sounds marginally better at idle and not running as rich without it but still don't like the results. My 2 pence.
Old 19 August 2006, 12:37 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JJstiuk :
An uprated bov can be used to eliminate compressor surge when changing gears. Excessive back pressure is created when the throttle is closed during gear changes or deceleration, causing turbo cavitation. This is detrimental to the life of your turbocharger, however fitting a BOV will substantially improve this problem. By installing a BOV you will significantly reduce turbo spool up time. You will notice a substantial improvement in response from your turbo between gearshifts. Boost will come on earlier giving an increase in torque at lower RPM*.
Subaru fit the standard car with a recirculating BOV for the very reason of eliminating compressor stall when lifting off the throttle.
As the car already has a BOV, are you inferring that fitting another will :
significantly reduce turbo spool up time. You will notice a substantial improvement in response from your turbo between gearshifts. Boost will come on earlier giving an increase in torque at lower RPM*.
I am at a loss to see how an after market BOV will endow the O/E cars with these benefits. Please clarify.

From the asterisk I wonder if you have copied the sales blurb of someone with a commercial interest in flogging BOVs at inflated prices.
Old 19 August 2006, 12:57 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I have tryed around 6 different dv's, VTA's and oe. The best one and the one I use now is the 97/98 type. All the VTA's just made the car run cr@p. If you want the sound then just fit an induction kit or remove all the pipeing in the inner wing that leads to the filter you will then be able to hear it.

This is how I fiited my 97/98 dv.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../scooby064.jpg

Using a front mount on mine but fitting would be more or less the same.

Last edited by T5OLF; 19 August 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 19 August 2006, 02:35 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It amuses me to see the bollocks spouted by people; desperate to support their decision to fit a pointless VTA air bypass valve. Better to admit that you want to show-off and be done with it.
Old 19 August 2006, 04:34 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I find them rather embarrassing, even the standard one is noisy with the front mount/filter I have.......maybe i'm getting old.
Old 19 August 2006, 04:51 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Not really fussed either way TBH prefer comp stall instead.