Sponsored by:

Winter Tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2006, 09:55 AM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tyres?

I currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres on my STi (came with it as new) and was wondering whether i should be considering changing them to a Winter Tyre with more tread for the rainy months?

m assuming based on the fact that they have minimal tread and large areas of flat rubber that these would not be ideal in standing water situations?

Let me know your thoughts...
Old 17 August 2006, 11:39 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Don't bother m8, used mine all last winter and they where ok.

But shock horror, when I wear them out this summer I'm getting some michelin ps2's for a change.

dipster
Old 17 August 2006, 11:42 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by marmski
I currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres on my STi (came with it as new) and was wondering whether i should be considering changing them to a Winter Tyre with more tread for the rainy months?

m assuming based on the fact that they have minimal tread and large areas of flat rubber that these would not be ideal in standing water situations?

Let me know your thoughts...
My understanding is that winter tyres only really come into their own in temps around the freezing mark and in snow, slush, etc... When the conditions get bad, just drive accordingly and you'll be fine.....can't vouch for others though!

Ns04
Old 17 August 2006, 12:21 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Of course i will drive accordingly, the reason i ask is more born out of the fact that these have large areas of flat rubber which will surely induce auqa-planing?
Old 17 August 2006, 12:22 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Apparently they grip much better from 10degrees and lower. Alot of info about if you look. Are especially good on cold, greasy wet roads.

I was very tempted last year but I just modified my driving to suit and was fine. By all acoounts if you have money to burn I think they are probably worth getting but if not then just take more care.

ps I'm sure a few people on here had them and rated them. Sure someone will be along shortly.....
Old 17 August 2006, 12:35 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuts is right! In temps under 7C, the extra silica in winter tyres grip the road much better. I tried my Toyo T1-R's in the winter and they were pants...not so much in the rain but when it was icy and snowy I may as well have been using slicks! I changed to Bridgestone LM22's which are winter tyres and are unusually available in low profile with high speed ratings. They are fantastic in the snow and icy conditions. In the dry they lack the precision of a sports tyre handling wise, because of the super soft compound, but that is more than made up for in grip and reduced stopping distances. When you take into account that you'll only use them 4 months of the year, they should last a good few years...mine still look like new!
Old 17 August 2006, 12:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Here we go again!!!!
Old 17 August 2006, 12:48 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

To cut a long thread short

Winter tyres work wonders in low temperatures and really damp conditions. They are a softer compound and give a bit of strange feeling when you first fit them (feels a bit like running with low air pressure) but when the temps get down below about 7 degrees they are what you should be using for maximum grip and stopping distances.

Summer tyres used in GB over the winter months is usually not a problem unless you start to get some decently cold temps ( 9 degrees or less) or snow or black ice. Summer tyres become hard due to the cold temps and lose their ability to stop you or turn you effectively.

The main differences are that winter tyres use a soft compound with an aggressive tread pattern to push out snow and slush and Summer tyres are built to give maximum turning and stopping in normal temps.

being forced to use both summers and winters for insurance reasons, I would "HIGHLY" recommend an investment in Winter tyres for your own safety in winter (even in the UK)
Old 17 August 2006, 01:20 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

It does not have to be snowing to get the benefit from these tyres, they are winter tyres NOT snow tyres!!

you WILL be able to stop quicker in temps below 7 deg in both dry and wet conditions with winter tyres and you will be able to stop and corner better in snow with winter tyres. Ice is just a bitch in anyones book but at least with teh extra squidgy silicon you will stand a fighting chance over summer tyres which go hard and shiney in the cold.

Just because you only get a tiny bit of snow for a few days does not justify not splashing out on a set of winter tyres and steel wheels, as you only use them for about 4 months of the year, they will also prevent you from ruining your lovely new alloys which all of you in the UK seem to constantly have, what would you rather do, look stupid with steel wheels on your scooby and be able to stop or drive like a girl with shiney alloys and winter tyres, not stop and smash your alloys on the curb? The choice is a simple one in my book and winter tyres will last you about 3 or 4 years, so in the scheme of things are not that expensive.
Old 17 August 2006, 02:41 PM
vamos
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Wurzel
It does not have to be snowing to get the benefit from these tyres, they are winter tyres NOT snow tyres!!

you WILL be able to stop quicker in temps below 7 deg in both dry and wet conditions with winter tyres and you will be able to stop and corner better in snow with winter tyres. Ice is just a bitch in anyones book but at least with teh extra squidgy silicon you will stand a fighting chance over summer tyres which go hard and shiney in the cold.

Just because you only get a tiny bit of snow for a few days does not justify not splashing out on a set of winter tyres and steel wheels, as you only use them for about 4 months of the year, they will also prevent you from ruining your lovely new alloys which all of you in the UK seem to constantly have, what would you rather do, look stupid with steel wheels on your scooby and be able to stop or drive like a girl with shiney alloys and winter tyres, not stop and smash your alloys on the curb? The choice is a simple one in my book and winter tyres will last you about 3 or 4 years, so in the scheme of things are not that expensive.

...not to mention the fact that while you are running winter tyres, you are (obviously) not running your performance tyres. So the only real cost are the steel wheels. No brainer really.
Old 17 August 2006, 02:54 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I considered putting a set of wet/cold weather tyres my on old 15" alloys. But I just slowed down alot more instaed, lowered my pressures and left much greater stopping distances and handled the controls very gently.

If I drove like a heavy handed/footed numpty. I may need them. But sods law that everytime it has snowed, I've been stick with a 2wd car without a LSD and no traction control, but I never had an issue. Everwhere around people are skidding, sliding wheel spinning. And there I am calmly and gently plodding along without getting stuck and staying in control, whilst eyeing up empty car parks for doing doughnuts on when I get my scoob back Makes me wonder with some drivers if changing the tyres is enough, or maybe the nut behind the wheel need sorting too LOL
Old 17 August 2006, 03:01 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

i will be getting some this year, but then again i need to as it's now the law here in Germany, winter tyres for the winter etc, insurance will be called into question if you don't have them and you have a slight mishap!
Old 17 August 2006, 03:07 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

At least the get propper winters
Old 17 August 2006, 03:18 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I considered putting a set of wet/cold weather tyres my on old 15" alloys. But I just slowed down alot more instaed, lowered my pressures and left much greater stopping distances and handled the controls very gently.
This is perfectly true and is what I used to do right up until you get the unforseen impromptu action of another driver who is on winter tyres, you are forced to stomp on the brakes and bobs yer uncle you slide into the curb or worse the car that just pulled out in front of you.

Instead of ***** footing around in your 4wd scoobs on summer tyres, get a set of winter tyres and enjoy your car for what it is. Also get to laugh at the muppets mincing around and sliding about.
Old 17 August 2006, 03:26 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

You will be OK with your O/E rubber but if you make the effort to change to specific cold temperature tyres from late October to early March or a little later depending on where you live, you will be surprised by the extra grip you have in the cold and wet. These are tyres for the colder weather and not dedicated snow tyres which we have little need for in the UK.
One manufacturer to consider is Vederstein (sp).
Old 17 August 2006, 03:36 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

And it doesn't cost much to change either, a set of used manky alloys, clean 'em up and give 'em a a bit of rattle can treatment and a set of colway winter tyres, job done.

Then you can keep your nice clean alloys ready for the spring
Old 17 August 2006, 03:48 PM
Pudders69
Scooby Regular

or just slow down in crap conditions
Old 17 August 2006, 04:33 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Pudders69
or just slow down in crap conditions
You just don't get it do you??????
Old 17 August 2006, 04:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by harvey
You will be OK with your O/E rubber but if you make the effort to change to specific cold temperature tyres from late October to early March or a little later depending on where you live, you will be surprised by the extra grip you have in the cold and wet. These are tyres for the colder weather and not dedicated snow tyres which we have little need for in the UK.
One manufacturer to consider is Vederstein (sp).
Here I change mine in early December and have Nokian WRs 215/40/17. I change them back at the end of April early May depending on how lazy I am.

The tyres you are thinking of are Vredstein not Vederstein

Toyo also make winter tyres or to make it easier for you lot to comprehend, "cold weather tyres!" it seems the term winter tyres confuses most of you.
Old 17 August 2006, 04:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I prefer wet weather tyres
Old 17 August 2006, 04:55 PM
Pudders69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
You just don't get it do you??????

enlighten me yoda
Old 17 August 2006, 08:31 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Wurzel : Thanks for the spelling lesson mate. I was too lazy to go out to the garage and move stuff off the top of the tyre pile to read the name.
Old 17 August 2006, 08:36 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Mind, who can spell vredestein

Looks like Wurzel can't either
Old 17 August 2006, 09:35 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

These are the ones. Nicely plotted to show the balance between the cold and the speed:

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Ban...2&BandtypeID=7

The trouble is, I like the look of the Ultrac Sessanta ones instead:
http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Ban...?BandgroepID=1
Old 18 August 2006, 12:38 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

I fitted winter tyres to my Octavia vRS last winter. There is a hell of a difference when driving in cold/wet conditions. And as for in snow - no comparison.

OK, I'm putting 231 bhp/251 lbf through two wheels. But they feel far more secure in cornering and braking
Old 18 August 2006, 08:25 AM
vamos
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pudders69
enlighten me yoda

It's kind of simple. Travelling on the motorvay at +2 degrees C, the guy in front of you with winter tyres will stop in 50 meters, you will stop in 100 meters, who wins?
Old 18 August 2006, 09:13 AM
Pudders69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vamos
It's kind of simple. Travelling on the motorvay at +2 degrees C, the guy in front of you with winter tyres will stop in 50 meters, you will stop in 100 meters, who wins?

Someones insurance company????

Last edited by Pudders69; 18 August 2006 at 09:16 AM.