New exhaust fitting

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2006, 02:08 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust fitting

Please excuse my ignorance but im pretty unknowledgable about cars

I bought my new afterburner exhaust parts - back box, centre section and 1st cat pipe and my car is going in tomorrow to have them fitted.

I've suddenly had this nagging feeling that i might need something else in order to fit them? Is this the case or will they just directly replace the old ones and use all the same attachments as the old ones or is there anything else i should have bought to give to the mechanic to fit the parts?

Do i need new gaskets? i don't even know what a gasket is to be honest, i just know its something to do with the exhaust, is it what joins the parts together? can someone explain to me?

Thanks

Joe
Old 15 August 2006, 02:32 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

You dont say what car you have, but there should be no issues as far as im aware, you should be able to fit everything including old gasket

hope that helps

reg
Old 15 August 2006, 04:00 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

its a MY03 WRX

oh right good, so i won't need anything else then apart from the 3 parts
Old 15 August 2006, 05:03 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

No you shouldn't need extra parts. The old gasket should be able to be prised off the OEM system and used again - mine was and I've had the 3 bits changed on my WRX03 like you are.

Enjoy the new noise.
Old 15 August 2006, 05:20 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andy, did u notice any sort of performance improvement with these three parts?

I'm not really expecting much as this is just the first part of my modification plan - gonna get high flow sports cat downpipe and de cat uppipe next, and a remap and maybe a few other bits before im expecting a good increase.

Would it still pass an MOT with the cat removed in the up pipe, the second cat pipe and a high flow sports catted downpipe do you think?
Old 15 August 2006, 05:25 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

TBH not really. I had already changed the backbox before doing the centre section and removing the cat in front of that bit. I've still got the original downpipe cat in place otherwise it will fail the MOT and will need a remap. I don't know about MOT with removing the up pipe CAT, plenty of others on here will tell you. You'll definately notice more noise and turbo spool up sooner and probably think its going faster than before!!
Old 15 August 2006, 09:03 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Joek101
I'm not really expecting much as this is just the first part of my modification plan - gonna get high flow sports cat downpipe and de cat uppipe next, and a remap and maybe a few other bits before im expecting a good increase.

Would it still pass an MOT with the cat removed in the up pipe, the second cat pipe and a high flow sports catted downpipe do you think?
Joe this is what I have on my MY03 WRX Wagon :-

Hayward & Scott 100 cell high flow down pipe (only 2 BHP loss over decat pipe & MOT friendly)

H&S Up pipe

H&S Centre pipe straight through

I already have the short section & Backbox from the PPP.I may change the BB depending on sound levels from the above pipe work.

Followed by a Tek3 re-map with Pat Herborn to get everything flowing nicely.

Which resulted in :-

290bhp up from 252bhp

275lbft up from 263lbft

Boost 1.3bar up from 1.2bar.

I am a happy bunny

MOT'd last March with no problems.

Mark
Old 17 August 2006, 09:41 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Got the afterburner stuff fitted yesterday, absolutely loving it, i can't actually believe how loud it is.

I was cringing this morning as i left my girlfriends house at 6-45, was trying to creep down the drive as quietly as possibly but must have probably woken the whole house/street up. Just waiting for all the neighbours round my way to start complaining now.

Car feels smoother for some reason since the change and seems to have a bit more power higher up in the rev range than before