Rear strut brace MY05

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2006, 06:29 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear strut brace MY05

Hi all,
This may seem a really stupid question . Just bought myself front and rear strut braces, now the front one simple enough to fit, but where in the hell does the rear one fit on to had a look in the boot, lifted the carpet took off the side panels but can't find anything. Any body got any advice.
Regards Scott
Old 04 August 2006, 06:52 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

I got the same thing on my 06, front fitted today and the rear waiting fitting.

I been told the rear seats need to come out to fit the rear brace.

Have you noticed any changes to the handling yet? not sure if its just me but mine seems more eager to follow imperfections in the road with the front brace on than it did before. Feels different in other ways too but kinda hard to describe... more precise in a strange kinda way. (never had a car like this before this one)
Old 04 August 2006, 07:21 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Hi, na haven't had time to take it out yet, spent all day washing and polishing then fitting the braces well brace. I think it probably will feel a bit awkard without having the rear brace fitted i presume you need the 2 to tie everything together as to speak. I'll try and fit the rear one tomo I'll take the seat out and have a look anyway. Cheers
Old 04 August 2006, 07:35 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I will let you know how different the car feels again with the rear on. Im going to do mine tommorrow too hopefully, been advised to set about 2hrs aside for the rear.

Good luck!!
Old 04 August 2006, 11:18 PM
Galley
Scooby Regular

Yeah you got it right chaps. you gota remove the rear seats to gain access to the rear struts. pretty easy really, remove bolts on the front of the bottom seat then lift free. then remove bolts at the bottom of the back rest and lift free. then prepare to sweat like **** trying to get the brace brackets into position. then climb into the boot to attach to brace.
p.s. you might want to check with your insurance company to make sure there ok with this mod. because if you suffer damage to one side of the car, your strut brace will kindly transfer it to the other side as well. some insurance companies treat this as a big no no. (i havnt told mine yet!)
Old 05 August 2006, 12:49 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yup, seats out, but they're easy to remove. The brace is a biatch to get into position, but the real killer is the fact that it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. The chassis on new-age Scoobs is so rigid that you will feel virtually no benefit whatsoever unless you have significantly modified and stiffened all other areas of the suspension to the point where the ride is bone-jarring. The better mod by far is the rear ARB and associated links, then some decent adjustable coilovers, and lastly the front ARB and links with the ALK and a geometry set-up to exploit your investment. Only after all this would I consider bracing.