Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety camera partnerships - don't ya jus' love 'em.

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2006, 04:52 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety camera partnerships - don't ya jus' love 'em.

Phil Davies the man in charge of south wales’ 244 speed cameras said,
I can put a van on a m/w bridge and get 100 motorists over 90mph in an hour ( I presume he’s boasting).

Mr Davies also revealed mobile cameras were now used just after fixed cameras in a bid to nail speed surfers who slow for a static camera and speed up immediately after.
(that’s very magnanimous of you Mr Davies).

Mr Davies said the public broadly supports cameras as a way of slashing road deaths.
Q. Do you support speed cameras if it can be proved that they slash road deaths?
A. yes
Q. Do you support speed cameras
A. no

I can assure you we get more requests for cameras than we get complaints.
Would that be:
Down the pub?
When people reply to the summons?
When they’re asking for directions from a friendly copper (assuming they still exist)? Asking that little old lady over there?

The Mid and South Wales safety camera partnership is the UK’s largest.
And why would that be? The population for the whole of wales is only 2.9m.
Is it to catch all those car mag testers who come over the bridge to use our roads?

Mr Davies you’re a merchant banker. And a well paid one, no doubt.
Old 03 August 2006, 05:10 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And that's the reason I hate going to Wales You can't look up from your speedo for more than 1 second and you never feel comfortable. It's a shame because they spoil a beautiful place

I don't drive over the limit deliberately but sometimes it's easy to do it by accident.
Old 03 August 2006, 06:00 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I live here

What I will say is if you ever come over the new bridge when the road slows to 50mph half a mile from the tolls slow to it they get everyone from a van parked on a bridge above the booths... then if there is anything on in Cardiff at the stadium they are out in some order all the way down the M4.
I feel really bad for anyone that comes over then snap 3 points welcome to Wales £60 thank you you don't remember our lovely part of the country for the right reasons at all then.

Tailgaters now that's a subject not to start me going on I wish more efforts were put in other parts of the dangerous driving areas that happen below the speed limits.
Old 03 August 2006, 06:13 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
I live here

What I will say is if you ever come over the new bridge when the road slows to 50mph half a mile from the tolls slow to it they get everyone from a van parked on a bridge above the booths... then if there is anything on in Cardiff at the stadium they are out in some order all the way down the M4.
I feel really bad for anyone that comes over then snap 3 points welcome to Wales £60 thank you you don't remember our lovely part of the country for the right reasons at all then.

Tailgaters now that's a subject not to start me going on I wish more efforts were put in other parts of the dangerous driving areas that happen below the speed limits.
Too true. I've been going to Wales for rally GB for years and quite often seen them parked up by the toll booths and on bridges over the M4. Once you get off the motorway they are then parked at the side of the road too so you are never safe
Old 03 August 2006, 06:18 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Too true. I've been going to Wales for rally GB for years and quite often seen them parked up by the toll booths and on bridges over the M4. Once you get off the motorway they are then parked at the side of the road too so you are never safe
Whenever there is any type of event on they get very active.
Old 03 August 2006, 06:42 PM
rasonline
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Once you get off the motorway they are then parked at the side of the road too so you are never safe
No pun intended i'm sure..
Reading all the reports and studies, there seems to be no evidence that can show that the speed cameras have improved road safety.
Old 03 August 2006, 08:25 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

i was at a car show and safety camera partnership for the south west of england was there with a display and the head of the partnership told me that they give you 10% plus 2 mph over the speed limit before they prosecute the driver.the guy did seem to put up a good argument about how affective camera are.

Trending Topics

Old 03 August 2006, 08:49 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Yep, totally effective...

I visited Cardiff the other day and during two brief drives through the city during the day I saw three major accidents. One of those involved a car that was upside down in the road, another involved a Securicor van that appeared to have tried to occupy the same piece of road as another car going the other way. I guess that the last thing you can afford to pay attention to is what's going on around you, or traffic lights - not when you have to watch the speedo so closely
Old 03 August 2006, 08:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It would be fair to assume that a large percentage of the financial input into Wales is from tourism. So let's just not go there !
Old 04 August 2006, 12:12 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

i was fortunate to drive all the way to tenby from liverpool last week and never saw one single camera the whole time i was there!!!! either that or my glasses are fu**ed can honestly say the roads i ended up on were the best roads ive ever driven in my scoob
Old 04 August 2006, 07:25 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to the north part of Wales for the day 2 weeks ago. Not one camera, but the fear of one was with me all the way. There is a loonie police chief up those parts who sits in a speed camera van on his days off!

Great roads and in some places would be a nice drive in an Impreza (I was in my cruiser, the X type with the the wife)

The whole camera thing in the UK is a ££££££££££ machine, a simple profit centre to catch you, the safe considerate driver in a very competant car.

They are always at the bottom of gentle hills where speeds creep up
They are always lurking just around the corner
They are usually illegally parked

They love their work as they save countless lives on clear dual carriage ways where there are no junctions.

Easy policing, good stats to report, crime detected, fine served, records completed...Next!....thankyou, 'I got 100 doing 90, bet I beat you today...'
Canteen conversation at the end of shift dropping the money into the bank safe.

My daughter got touched-up by a pervert, could i find a policeman?
Like hell i could for 3 days.
Sipping coffee in a white van watching the world go by....

Mad!
Old 04 August 2006, 09:33 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Group Captain Smudger

Mr Davies said the public broadly supports cameras as a way of slashing road deaths
Funny, I can't remember being asked !!!

Anyone else been asked this ??
Old 04 August 2006, 11:00 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
I live here

...and pop camera up on strips of roads where pit crews are, when the WRC is in town.
Old 04 August 2006, 01:13 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Been to most places in the British Isles during the course of my job and recently i have been up and down the M4 to Swansea and i have never seen so many boy racer/maxpower types. Don't get me wrong, i dispise the cash cameras but in South Wales they have license to print money and these people must all be driving around burning rubber and listening to their peco big bores with their driving licenses loaded up to the b@llox with points.
Old 04 August 2006, 02:31 PM
MidLifeCrisisII
Scooby Regular

Wales is poor so they see it as a way to generate revenue. Shame is it spoils the tourist trade and puts people off going to a lovely place. I make a bike trip every year and have only seen cameras in the South. Avoid the obvious biker roads on the w/e and you don't get a problem....
Old 04 August 2006, 02:35 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
i was fortunate to drive all the way to tenby from liverpool last week and never saw one single camera the whole time i was there!!!! either that or my glasses are fu**ed can honestly say the roads i ended up on were the best roads ive ever driven in my scoob
Wait till sunday