Does This happen to everyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2006, 07:41 PM
jimbob6242
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does This happen to everyone?

This is my impreza story so far

Bought my 53 plate WRX through work at trade price, figured i would keep it for 6 months and then either make a couple of quid or worst case get my money back - Things since then have taken a slight turn for the worst (or better you decide)

The main problem is the drive, you really can't go faster for the money - i know this for a fact as i drive all sorts at work, and even my WRX would leave a hell of a lot of 50K plus "sportscars" for dead, including the BMW 650i i took it upon myself to hammer yesterday

So my idea of free motoring for 6months has been trashed. I have already spent far to much money on Big Brakes, Exhaust, Booked in for Remap, Rear Spoiler, Painted side skirts and i know i will never see it back again

I reckon i now have the bug, as i am considering keeping it and jumping out of my company car! - crazy thing is i should know better, i spend my life valuing cars, watching peoples faces drop when the price is announced - now it's going to happen to me, so much so I ripped the impreza page out of the glasses guide!

Anyway i think this is why these cars are great and have such a cult following, they make sane people do insane things.

Just as a sub point does anyone else struggle to get in 5th gear at high revs? i quite often get a crunch -

Thanks

Jim
Old 02 August 2006, 07:57 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

no, but i do occasionally miss 2nd with a bit of a crunch, i put it down to over enthusiastic shifting and a crappy left leg lol
Old 02 August 2006, 08:29 PM
jimbob6242
Scooby Regular

I do that as well! - think my problem is i generally tend to be backing off when i change into 5th - think i maybe need to hold down longer!
Old 02 August 2006, 08:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimbob6242
This is my impreza story so far

Bought my 53 plate WRX through work at trade price, figured i would keep it for 6 months and then either make a couple of quid or worst case get my money back - Things since then have taken a slight turn for the worst (or better you decide)
Jim
Cos at the end of the day, they are a Japanese tin box, whose appeal is to a limited audience.
I bought my 05 STI PPP, because I wanted the speed, grip, fun, etc, etc. Now, I did look at second hand one's but came to the conclusion that they must have all been ragged, rightly or wrongly. The more people think this, the less demand there is for second hand one's, thus lowering the prices.
Scoop's on the bonnet, and high rally wings on the back is not to everyone's taste, thus reducing demand, thus reducing prices. The interior build quality and materials are a joke. The stereo an even bigger joke. All these factors go against second hand value, plus, with the ever increasing petrol prices, more people are looking at fuel economy which, lets be honest isn't a Subaru strong point. Plus the Scooby image is old now, what was once a highly rated, in demand car is now no more. Personally I partly blame the flood of imports. A quick look on Auto Trader, or in the Classifieds of Piston heads and there are hundreds of Impreza's up for sale.
To be absolutely honest, I wish I'd never bought mine. I wish I'd kept my old Focus RS. This time next year I think I might change cars (Funds allowing) for a more sought after premium marque. I do quite fancy the new Audi S3. Having driven my old mans new RS4, the built quality, prestige, and overall ambiance of the car's make me want to take a slight drop in power/speed for a overall more refined prestige car.
Old 02 August 2006, 09:46 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

StiLover ... best change your login!

TX.
Old 03 August 2006, 09:33 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong, I love my car. It's just the build quality/materials and ICE that is a little disappointing. I can live with the image. Afterall I bought it partly because of the image.
My big regret about buying it is the amount of money I've lost in such a short time. After 10 months I wanted to sell it to concentrate on paying off my mortgage, and the best offer I got was £17,500. In contrast I bought a Focus RS and lost only £3k after nearly 2 years ownership.

Just a bit hard to swallow, that's all.

The new Audi S3 will not lose £9k in 10 months. Probably not even that after 2/3 years.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:05 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

It is quite a common problem on scoobies m8! I have same problem and have put a thread on numerous Scooby forums, there are loads of ppl out there with it aswell!
Old 03 August 2006, 10:13 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I was tempted to sell mine but when you look at the market value there isn't any point.

I spent about 3-4 months looking for a mint late classic with PPP with v low miles 2 1/2 years ago. Overpaid for it but still very happy, as have decided to go down the modding route (suspension / brakes etc) and will always keep it as a second car for weekends and fun.

Keep it matey and have fun with it