Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery going flat within a week!

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2006, 11:29 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery going flat within a week!

Does anyone else have a problem with the battery going flat within a week? I use my Scoob on weekends but when I come to start the car the battery is usually flat. I got Subaru assist out and they checked the battery and said it's fine. They also checked how much battery drainage was being used and it was quite high due to the RAC Crapstar!!

They also told me if I don't have the air-con, or fan, or lights the battery doesn't charge. This is a smart system put on by Subaru to increase performance. He even showed me the amount which is being charged when I turn my lights on.
Old 01 August 2006, 11:31 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

is alternator on way out?

mate bug eye went, though subaru have been very very interested in it cos it very very rare they fail
Old 01 August 2006, 11:35 AM
jaydut
Scooby Regular

I went away for a week and when i came back my battery was dead,the rac said it takes a third of your batt power to start your car so if you have only done small trips proir to parkin it up for while turn all security on chances are youll run flat
Old 01 August 2006, 11:44 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by alwong
They also checked how much battery drainage was being used and it was quite high due to the RAC Crapstar!!

I had this problem with mine too , it's due to the 'Crapstar' taking quite a few hours to go into 'sleep mode ' and therefore drainging your battery in the mean time . Crapstar are aware of this and have a modified unit that goes to sleep quicker ,they will come out and swap over for you (for a charge ) Give them a call
and I'm sure one of the single brain cell type people there, will be able to tell you all about it

Dave
Old 01 August 2006, 12:15 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

i had the same problem on mine and was told there was nothing wrong with the battery. I have since bought a calcium heavy duty battery from halfords and i no longer have a problem!!
Old 01 August 2006, 01:07 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I had this problem too and I don't have a RAC Tracker unit. The OEM fit white and black battery are crap and commonly fail. The smart alternator doesn't help things either. I changed to a Bosch Silver Asia 6DA from Costco now about £40 inc VAT and not had a problem since and I don't run with lights on all the time either.

Andy.
Old 01 August 2006, 04:15 PM
internethoudini
Scooby Regular

Maybe no help at all, but i had same prob on a bm. Disconnected alarm, checked all the usual drains and bought a new battery still no joy. Turned out the new rubber seals i had put round the boot were letting the boot light stay on and as it had twin lights in the boot it was draining it in a week enough not to be able to turn over.

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2006, 04:19 PM
skywalker23
Scooby Regular

Same problem here too,,

But as above got a new heavy duty battery and now starts first time no matter how long i leave it.....
Old 01 August 2006, 08:48 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for all your advice. I go out and buy myself a new heavy duty battery. Surely it'll be cheaper than paying RAC Crapstar to change their unit which won't work if the car is stolen anyway!!
Old 01 August 2006, 09:10 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Is the car still under warranty? I had 2 batteries changed within 6 months of each other under warranty due to newage STi's having this issue. The second battery I now have is a Varta heavy duty. Next week I get the rear struts replaced again under warranty. Then next month it's out of warranty.
Old 02 August 2006, 12:17 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to my 55 plate too! Subaru Assit told me they 1st thought it was the Trackstar unit but then discovered it was the alternator on the New Age models. If you only do short journeys then they recommend you drive with the lights or fan on as the more drain you put on the battery the better charge it will get. What happened to mine was it fell below a certain voltage and the immobiliser kicked in!
Old 02 August 2006, 12:22 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Use the car every day, that will keep the battery charged. It's a practical family 4 door saloon after all

dipster
Old 02 August 2006, 12:25 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Oh, and get a halfords HCB005 calcium battery. sorted.

dipster
Old 02 August 2006, 10:36 AM
stevie_mc
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alwong
Does anyone else have a problem with the battery going flat within a week? I use my Scoob on weekends but when I come to start the car the battery is usually flat. I got Subaru assist out and they checked the battery and said it's fine. They also checked how much battery drainage was being used and it was quite high due to the RAC Crapstar!!

They also told me if I don't have the air-con, or fan, or lights the battery doesn't charge. This is a smart system put on by Subaru to increase performance. He even showed me the amount which is being charged when I turn my lights on.

If you only use it at weekends try getting a Draper Battery master , It's a trickle charger and will keep your battery tip top ... Think i paid about £18 for mine
Old 02 August 2006, 11:07 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

When I was using my 02WRX (which has trackstar) at some weekends a while back, I was getting a similar problem. Got to the stage where it wouldn't re-start after more than 3 days. Put in a Halfords heavy duty calcium (which at the time were 20% and so a suprisingly good deal), the car would happily stand for 3 weeks and re-start.

Since then I've moved house to within a decent distance from work and got rid of the old diesel commute-mobile I had been using!
Old 03 August 2006, 10:52 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Mine too. When i'm not using the car for a while, I plug it into a Optimate.