Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is my Subaru dealer talking bull??

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2006, 02:51 AM
Beev!!!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Subaru dealer talking bull??

Hiya guys/gals...
I went to my local Subaru dealer the other day as i'm in the process of changing my Scooby and came away totally baffled. I love my UK Classic Impeza, it's done little milage and it's in gleaming Mica Blue but i've had it a couple of years now and fancy a change (as you do!). I went into the dealers as i'm interested in a 54ish plate STI prodrive and I knew they had a few in the showroom so thought i'd have a butchers!! I really liked the STI and i'm up for getting one but the dealer really took the wind out of my sail. He was telling me i'd be much better off buying the latest shape standard WRX Impreza for similar money as it was alot better car with better performance. I found this hard to believe with the massive spec of the sti (bigger brakes/305bhp etc), but the guy was sure he was right. It then got more strange when he said the Prodrive pack doesn't really make that much difference on the STI, i've heard it transforms the car totally.. ...hmmm..any comments??
Old 29 July 2006, 03:50 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

He'll make more money from selling you a new car

You're right about the 305bhp (on PPP'd car) and bigger Brembo brakes, along with the crank, rods, pistons, valves, turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, exhaust, steering rack, suspension, diffs, 6sp 'box, wheels, tyres, and not forgetting the cosmetic stuff like the wing, scoop, fog covers (but alas, no fogs), aero bumper bits, interior etc etc....

It depends on how you use the car really. A WRX is easier to live with for Mr. Ordinary, but true performance petrolheads will always prefer the STi, although some professional drivers whom I have had tuition from beg to differ, mainly due to the close ratios of the 6sp 'box making the car unstable at times due to extra changes required extremely frequently. Alas, a WRX has limited upgrade potential without spending much more money. 300bhp is quite easy, but after that you need to start replacing all the stuff that comes on an STi as standard, and reliability of some parts will become compromised (clutch/'box).

The dealer will skin you on your trade-in, and double-up on the screen price of the new one so you're always better buying privately, especially as the car will have most of its warranty remaining as a safety net. I'd test the water selling your own privately, but don't be too optimistic on the price or you'll be waiting 'til the cows come home for the 1st phone call.

With the cash you'll save by not buying from a dealer you can aim a little higher and get into '05 territory. 05> benefitted from the DCCD-A (active centre diff) and the Spec C geometry (longer base and widened rear track for high speed stability) as well as larger hubs with bigger, stronger wheel bearings. You could even consider an EU import as they retain the full 3yr warranty. What about new too, as 06 STi's can be had for £21k or so from importers Sidestep the PPP and get 350bhp+ from the likes of Powerstation for less money

Last edited by corradoboy; 29 July 2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 29 July 2006, 12:24 PM
bearded dragon
Scooby Regular

HI

my first newage was a WRX on dealer advice - it was an 03 blobeye. Whilst I loved the car, and it was good fun, I NEVER had faith in the brakes. I replaced the disks with grooved tarox on the front (could'nt get the rear ones!) and this made things a touch better. Talking to a couple of other owners, with 52/03 WRX's, they both had to have their disks replaced because of warping (one even had to threaten to sue the dealer because the dealer said he must bebraking too hard!!!!)

I now have an STi and have not looked back. The brakes alone make it worthwhile, and to uprate the calipers on a WRX you are looking at £1500 +, so the 'saving' on buying the WRX becomes less and less.

The final thing for me was if you buy a WRX and PPP it (I like my warranty) you get similar power to a standard STi. Add that to the brakes and the cost is very nearly identical (remember the prodrive caliper upgrade is £2K)

Other STi benefits are the 6speed box (something I thought the WRx needed) and all the other stuff corradoboy mentions and the decision shouldn;t be too difficult:-)
Old 29 July 2006, 01:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I personally don't see the 6sp 'box as a benefit. I think it is the only major downside of the car. With the torque available, more especially now with the 2.5l engine it just makes making good progress too frenetic IMHO. On a recent test drive of the new STi I found it easier to hang onto a gear than with previous 2.0l STi's but still ultimately more tiresome on extended B-road driving than my 5sp WRX. After an hour of hard driving I felt physically drained, and have to admit that the car was only marginally quicker in some areas than my mod'd WRX. I can go all day in my car an never tire. The big benefits are the quicker rack for more direct steering input, the brakes (although they can still be improved with the same minor mods that make WRX 4pots much better (braided lines, DOT5.1 fluid and Ferodo pads), but mostly the diff set-up which makes the car much more adjustable mid-bend than a WRX. The suspension is better also, but not enough. I would always add AST's and some Whiteline goodies to any WRX or STi. There is then the modding potential which is a much simpler route than on a WRX. My ideal would be a 350bhp STi but with either a PPG (for strength) 5sp 'box with an extended 5th, or the 6sp but with 5sp ratios 1-5 and a very long 6th for m-way cruising at 90 under boost.

Stan Palmers currently have THIS 05 STi PPP in crystal grey for £18k. A saving of some £9k over new and full dealer facilities. I'd consider that and then look at one of the better 350bhp packages with good reputations and warranty (such as Powerstation or WRC Tech) and the necessary suspension mods I mentioned before.

Last edited by corradoboy; 29 July 2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 29 July 2006, 01:19 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Go for the an 05 STi imo over the new WRX.

The Blobeye STi is the best looking Impreza made soo far imo, even the WRX variant of the Blob looks nice. The new shape is not that nice to look at (maybe bearable in STi form) but even then it fits in with everyday cars too well. I have a friend at work who has the new shape WRX and i cant say i even notice it when i pull in/out of the car park. Im sure its more refined and you can live with it everyday but the smile that my Blob STi puts on my face everytime i walk out of my front door / work / where ever makes it worth every penny and more (its also nice it can back up the 'lets fight!' look with its performance.)

Ignore the dealer, choose the car you think will make you smile the hardest. If thats the comfort / power compromise of the WRX and you like the new shape then get that. If its the large wing / over sized scoop on the Blobeye STi and the compromise of some comfort for a little more performance then get that.

You have to live with the car everyday, the dealer doesnt. Get the car YOU WANT and the car that will make you the happiest (even if its not a scoob at all)

Last edited by marmski; 29 July 2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 29 July 2006, 02:15 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's a case of him talking bull more giving you his own opinion, what other people have said is right, drive them and make your own mind up. They are both good cars, as for which to go for depends purely on what your looking to get out of it.
Old 29 July 2006, 02:31 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

This is all my opinion so, a PPP'd STI is alot better than a standard STI and YES it does transform the car. Secondly a dealer will always try and sell you a new car - its all about sales quota's!!!!

Get the STI .

Wolfie.
Old 29 July 2006, 03:17 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

Changed my mind after re-reading the first post, ofcourse the PPP makes a big difference on the 04my STi!

Jury is still out on the 06 though!
Old 29 July 2006, 03:27 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I thinks it's a case of Moooo! Plop!

I swapped my My00 for a 03 Sti on a 53 plate without PPP. Test drove the STi and found it to be the same in how fast it went to my Classic at the time. I know the 03 STi in standard form is around 261BHP but it just felt the same in comparison to the classic. What threw it for me was the interior and how better the cabin was. So I bought the car ran it for nearly a year. And then went for the PPP upgrade. And boy did it transform the car. It made it faster and more of a joy to drive. Also note the classic shape is a lighter car to the newer shaped ones. So shopping in a classic WRX for a new one will give you roughly the same power experience as what you have now.
Old 29 July 2006, 06:15 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

I had similar advise from a dealer in Widnes,

could this be the same one
Old 29 July 2006, 06:20 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

as said before, the dealer is just trying to bump up his new car sales.

no idea the difference in real world terms you'd feel between the 04 and 05 sti but you will notice a huge difference between your classic and a new shape.

i've gone from a 270odd bhp classic to what is on paper a slower car, but show it anything apart from a straight line the new shape would kill it (at least with me behind both steering wheels)

the brakes and grip difference is, to me, a world apart.

if funds allow go for the 05 sti, but my mates got an 04 sti and that doesn't feel a million miles different to mine
Old 29 July 2006, 08:06 PM
Beev!!!
Scooby Regular

Thanks everybody for your input, after hearing your comments i'm still gonna go for the STI prodrive, I love the look of the car, i'm sure I won't be disapointed with the drive and i've kinda got my heart set on it now.......

Thanks again, it's nice to be able to pitch your thoughts on here and get feedback from people with real knowledge aswell as people who've been there before you!!
Old 29 July 2006, 08:29 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Beev!!!
Thanks everybody for your input, after hearing your comments i'm still gonna go for the STI prodrive, I love the look of the car, i'm sure I won't be disapointed with the drive and i've kinda got my heart set on it now.......

Thanks again, it's nice to be able to pitch your thoughts on here and get feedback from people with real knowledge aswell as people who've been there before you!!
And from people who do not require you to opt for one type of car. A salesman is named so as they sell things!!

Get the STI, do not discount getting a standard one and then getting an alternative mod to PPP. Or get a car that has already been modified. Tough as **** the STI engines so you cannot go wrong!!
Old 29 July 2006, 08:56 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

i was in your position a year ago, going from a classic to new shape nand the huge saving on a wrx made me think twice but then i looked at the money i would spend on the wrx,increasing performance, sti spoilers, nicer seats, bigger brakes, better suspension and then having to insure a heavily modded car and i just knew the sti was for me. ive also tried the 2.5 wrx since and was quite impressed thought there wasnt much difference performance wise. then i got back in my sti and realised how wrong i was! the only downside to the sti may be that its amuch rawer experience, but for me thats the best bit about it!