Sponsored by:

98 S UK Turbo whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2000, 01:54 PM
TonyS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have been offered a 98 S UK Turbo, 93,000 miles, full Subaru SH, new clutch, No A/c.
Whats it worth?
Old 27 October 2000, 02:02 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

TonyS,

It's only 2 years old and has covered 93000 miles!!! With Impreza prices in freefall at the moment and loads for sale you can basically take your pick. Surely you would be much better off spending a little more money and getting something with a slightly more realistic mileage. Just think 18 months down the line when the car has covered 110,000 miles who the hell is going to want to buy it??
Old 27 October 2000, 03:47 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tony,

Don't buy it unles it is seriously cheap (under £10,000) as it only has 9 months left on warranty. Look around Autotrader and Topmarques for what you think you can afford and then compare against the 'Private' section over the last couple of weeks for cars that have been owned by Scoobynet regulars (check numnber of postings): UK, Imports, Modifieds etc the choice is usually quite varied and large.

Also, with the MY01, f*****g ugly as it is, coming into showrooms in the next month or two 'classic' shaped Scoobies will be in abundance at dealers as part ex's so look around and remember buyers have the upper hand with 2nd hand cars at the moment. Remember to check out the difference between UK and Import cars for insurance purposes as this may sway your choice.

Happy hunting

Yex

PS: if SGT in Taplow have a silver MY98, S197TKJ, in stock offer them £13,000 and it should be yours. It will have c20,000 on the clock and is in imaculate condition. I part exchanged it aginst an RB5 WR a while ago.
Old 27 October 2000, 04:45 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Sometimes, very high mileage cars (+40k miles pa) are in better condition than high mileage cars (+20k pa). It is probable that over 80% of this cars mileage has been done on the mororway. Motorway driving puts very lttle stress on the engine, geabox, clutch and chasis. So long as the car has been regulary services it should be ok. Make sure that the major services (every 45k I think) have been performed with the cambelt change.

I have heard people say that a single track day can give the equivelent of 2-3k miles wear on the car. Would you rather own one thats done 30 track days or 93k miles? I'd go for the high miler so long as the price was right.

I would say £8-10k is about right unless the car is in exceptional condition. I would advise getting a AA/RAC or similar inspection before spending so much on a hige miler. Atleast this way you will only lose £100-200 if its a wreck.
Old 27 October 2000, 08:09 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

I agree with Orville. I myself have owned two pretty high mileage car (BMW 316i, 35K pa and my Impreza with 30 K pa) the BMW lasted me to 190,000 with just regular servicing and 'wearables' changed, it's still going fine now (gave it away to my brother)

I treat a 100K Very High Mileage car as being half way through it's life.

I wouldn't pay more than 9K though (from a dealer)

Gary